    volume". How can I get it to recognize my hard drive, cr rom, cd burner and
    zip with the correct letters? I using X Pro.
    Thanks

    Blaze, Jun 27, 2005

  2. Blaze

    old jon Guest

    "Blaze" <> wrote in message
    news:iPWve.1244$At6.351@trndny09...
    > For some reason my computer is recognizing my new hard drive as local
    > drive h instead of c. I did right click of my computer, manage, disk
    > mangement, right click on drive, clicked change drive letter and path, and
    > I get a msg saying "Windows cannot modify the drive letter of your system
    > or boot volume". How can I get it to recognize my hard drive, cr rom, cd
    > burner and zip with the correct letters? I using X Pro.
    > Thanks

    did you set up XP on H: when you installed it ?. If you had set it up on C:,
    that is where it would be now. The problem you will have if you try to
    change it
    now will be that a lot of registry entries will be pointing to the wrong
    place
    ie. H:, so things won`t work properly. If you`ve fitted a new drive you
    should have set it up as C: to start with.
    best wishes..OJ

    old jon, Jun 27, 2005

  3. Blaze

    Blaze Guest

    I booted to the install disc, and it formatted and installed windows. I
    assume it went to C. I put this same drive on another machine and it
    recognized as it should though.

    Blaze, Jun 27, 2005
  4. Blaze

    old jon Guest

    Have a look at this article at the MS knowledge base site Blaze.
    support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q223/1/88.asp
    As an idea you could pull the power on All your other devices (CD, Zip etc),
    then try the drive by itself. WinXP might sort it. let me know what progress
    you make
    best wishes..OJ

    old jon, Jun 27, 2005
  5. Blaze

    Jason Guest

    I know that if there is a copy of windows on the hard drive you are trying
    to remap it will not allow it. So take the hard drive out that you are
    trying to remap. Then what ever hard drive that is left if windows is on
    that one it should boot up into windows. If this happens then plug the hard
    drive you are working with back into machine. Then check contents of that
    hard drive if there is windows on there and you don't need it delete the
    windows and then you should be able to rename the hard drive letter. I have
    same issue i have a, c,d,e,f,g,h,i c and f being my hard drives... so
    confusing.... norton wont install onto my f drive because half way though
    installation it looks for c drive... so frustrating but i hope that this
    helps you out in some way.

    Jason, Jun 28, 2005