    around reinstalling Windows XP Pro? I believe that SP1 was installed, also,
    but not sure.
    Thanks!

    ToGrok, Jun 23, 2003

  2. "ToGrok" <> wrote in message
    news:QAuJa.1202$...
    > Hi,
    > The motherboard in a friend's computer died. The exact mb was not
    > available, so the computer company switched it with an upgrade. The

    problem
    > is now the hard drive just reboots even trying to boot in safe mode. The
    > mbs have different chipsets on them and I believe this to be the cause.

    The
    > original had a SIS chipset and the replacement has a VIA. Is there any

    way
    > around reinstalling Windows XP Pro? I believe that SP1 was installed,

    also,
    > but not sure.
    > Thanks!

    Check HDD settings in BIOS. Dont know if it still applies, but this used to
    be a major problem in the past with Mobo upgrades. have you changed the
    amount of memory as well??

    Michael Thompson, Jun 23, 2003

  3. ToGrok

    ToGrok Guest

    The harddrive settings are auto configured as they were in the other
    motherboard. Both mbs are the same manufacturer, PCChips. The memory is
    also the same. The original mb was a 810 the new one is a 825, they are
    much the same except the chipset.

    ToGrok, Jun 23, 2003
  4. ToGrok

    Techy #1 Guest

    #1 Re-boot into safe mode

    #2 Load new PC Chips XP chipset drivers

    #3 Re-start machine

    #4 Your done

    Techy ;)

    Techy #1, Jun 23, 2003
  5. ToGrok

    Meat-->Plow Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 03:36:16 GMT, "ToGrok" <>wrote:

    >Hi,
    >The motherboard in a friend's computer died. The exact mb was not
    >available, so the computer company switched it with an upgrade. The problem
    >is now the hard drive just reboots even trying to boot in safe mode. The
    >mbs have different chipsets on them and I believe this to be the cause. The
    >original had a SIS chipset and the replacement has a VIA. Is there any way
    >around reinstalling Windows XP Pro? I believe that SP1 was installed, also,
    >but not sure.
    >Thanks!

    You do get the Windows XP loader screen and an F8 will take you to a custom boot
    screen ?

    Did you try to do a repair ? I've never done an XP repair and frankly I don't
    even know if it is available for XP. I do know that you can repair a Windows
    2000 install by booting off the CD. That would be just about the only thing you
    could do if you can't even boot it into the safe mode.

    Meat-->Plow, Jun 23, 2003
  6. ToGrok

    ToGrok Guest

    Did a repair and that worked. Thanks.