Changed home network; now can't see printer

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by coylerj@anes.upmc.edu, Mar 4, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I had a home network with a DSL router that my main computer was
    connected to via Ethernet, and the main printer is hardwired to that
    computer. Every other computer in the house was wireless and could use
    the printer via a home network.

    I now have switched to a fiberoptic internet account, and all of the
    computers in the house are now wireless, because I had to put the
    router where the fios line comes into the house. The main computer
    with the printer is also wireless now, and the printer remains
    hardwired to that computer.

    Now, in spite of the fact that all of the computers are on the
    Internet, they can't see each other anymore. I didn't change anything
    except for changing the router (now a DLink Extreme G, before a Linksys
    B); no other settings were changed. Of course, this means that the
    other computers can't use the printer, either.

    All computers are using Windows XP. Everything worked like a charm
    before.

    What do I do to try and fix this????
    , Mar 4, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    wrote:
    >I had a home network with a DSL router that my main computer was
    >connected to via Ethernet, and the main printer is hardwired to that
    >computer. Every other computer in the house was wireless and could use
    >the printer via a home network.
    >
    >I now have switched to a fiberoptic internet account, and all of the
    >computers in the house are now wireless, because I had to put the
    >router where the fios line comes into the house. The main computer
    >with the printer is also wireless now, and the printer remains
    >hardwired to that computer.
    >
    >Now, in spite of the fact that all of the computers are on the
    >Internet, they can't see each other anymore. I didn't change anything
    >except for changing the router (now a DLink Extreme G, before a Linksys
    >B); no other settings were changed. Of course, this means that the
    >other computers can't use the printer, either.
    >
    >All computers are using Windows XP. Everything worked like a charm
    >before.
    >
    >What do I do to try and fix this????

    The old router and new router probably assign different ranges of IP
    addresses to the computers: Linksys=192.168.1.x, D-Link=192.168.0.x.

    If there are firewall programs (Norton, ZoneAlarm, McAfee, PC-cillin,
    etc) on the computers, they might be configured to allow file and
    printer sharing on 192.168.1.x only.

    If that's the case, the simplest solution would be to configure the
    new router to assign addresses in the 192.168.1.x range.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    Steve Winograd [MVP], Mar 4, 2006

  3. rick Guest

    Yeah, that was it. I had put the range of IP addresses into the
    firewall that the router used, and for some reason that wasn't right;
    it only wanted me to use 192.168.0.0. Don't know why, but that solved
    the problem.

    Thanks.
    rick, Mar 4, 2006
  4. In article <>,
    "rick" <> wrote:
    >>In article <>,
    >> wrote:
    >>>I had a home network with a DSL router that my main computer was
    >>>connected to via Ethernet, and the main printer is hardwired to that
    >>>computer. Every other computer in the house was wireless and could use
    >>>the printer via a home network.
    >>>
    >>>I now have switched to a fiberoptic internet account, and all of the
    >>>computers in the house are now wireless, because I had to put the
    >>>router where the fios line comes into the house. The main computer
    >>>with the printer is also wireless now, and the printer remains
    >>>hardwired to that computer.
    >>>
    >>>Now, in spite of the fact that all of the computers are on the
    >>>Internet, they can't see each other anymore. I didn't change anything
    >>>except for changing the router (now a DLink Extreme G, before a Linksys
    >>>B); no other settings were changed. Of course, this means that the
    >>>other computers can't use the printer, either.
    >>>
    >>>All computers are using Windows XP. Everything worked like a charm
    >>>before.
    >>>
    >>>What do I do to try and fix this????

    >>The old router and new router probably assign different ranges of IP
    >>addresses to the computers: Linksys=192.168.1.x, D-Link=192.168.0.x.
    >>
    >>If there are firewall programs (Norton, ZoneAlarm, McAfee, PC-cillin,
    >>etc) on the computers, they might be configured to allow file and
    >>printer sharing on 192.168.1.x only.
    >>
    >>If that's the case, the simplest solution would be to configure the
    >>new router to assign addresses in the 192.168.1.x range.

    >Yeah, that was it. I had put the range of IP addresses into the
    >firewall that the router used, and for some reason that wasn't right;
    >it only wanted me to use 192.168.0.0. Don't know why, but that solved
    >the problem.
    >
    >Thanks.

    You're welcome. I'm glad that my suggestion helped you solve the
    problem!

    Steve Winograd [MVP], Mar 5, 2006