    Thanks,

    Mike.

    , Jul 28, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Just bough a Canon SD700 as a second camera, I already have a 300D.
    >
    > I'd like to know if and how to change the filename template so that the
    > two cameras filenames don't clash?
    >
    > I'd like to configure it so IMG_0001.jpg is SD700_IMG_0001.jpg or if
    > there is a restriction on the filename size, I'd go with CSD_0001.jpg.

    Mike-

    I don't think it is possible to do what you want without modifying the
    firmware of one of the cameras. Since there are a couple of "hacked"
    versions of the 300D firmware on the web, you might be able to modify one
    to do what you want.

    I have the SD400 as well as the 300D, but get around the problem of
    duplicate filenames by saving them in separate folders with names that
    show date and subject. In the event I were to use both for the same
    subject, I would probably include the camera model in the folder title.

    Another alternative is to use the same SD memory card in both cameras.
    There is a Compact flash adapter available that holds an SD card. (I have
    one from Minolta, but they are no longer available.) The camera should
    "adopt" the highest number on its card and increment from there. When
    changing back to the other camera, it should continue where the first left
    off. I haven't tried this myself, but have used the technique to restore
    file numbers that were forgotten when the battery was left out of a camera
    for too long.

    If you don't want to fuss with changing cards, you might rename the
    highest image number on one of the cards to "IMG_5000.jpg" and see if it
    will pick up numbering from there. That approach should last until you
    make 5000 exposures on either camera.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Aug 4, 2006