Change routing port to switch port

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by xianli@xianli.net, Mar 5, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hi all:

    Today when I try to change the Gi1/0/1(routing port) on the fibre
    module of 3750 into switchport by issuing the "switchport" command,
    then assign it to a vlan, then I connect it to a fibre module on a
    nortel layer2 switch. I found out there is no conectivity between the
    3750 and the nortel switch. The status of the Gi1/0/1 is "not
    connected". Is it because I cant do it on a fibre module?

    Thank you
    , Mar 5, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. blue-birdy Guest

    On Mar 5, 12:53 pm, wrote:
    > Hi all:
    >
    > Today when I try to change the Gi1/0/1(routing port) on the fibre
    > module of 3750 into switchport by issuing the "switchport" command,
    > then assign it to a vlan, then I connect it to a fibre module on a
    > nortel layer2 switch. I found out there is no conectivity between the
    > 3750 and the nortel switch. The status of the Gi1/0/1 is "not
    > connected". Is it because I cant do it on a fibre module?
    >
    > Thank you


    Hai,
    wat Model of 3750 switch r u using?Gi1/0/1 is it fiber connection or
    Ethernet?
    B'cos i hav to deal with 3750 -24 10/100/1000 ethernet + 4 SFP.I have
    couple of question reg that.Can u help me out?

    Thanxs in advance.
    blue-birdy, Mar 5, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    On Mar 6, 2:37 am, blue-birdy <> wrote:
    > On Mar 5, 12:53 pm, wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all:

    >
    > > Today when I try to change the Gi1/0/1(routing port) on the fibre
    > > module of 3750 into switchport by issuing the "switchport" command,
    > > then assign it to a vlan, then I connect it to a fibre module on a
    > > nortel layer2 switch. I found out there is no conectivity between the
    > > 3750 and the nortel switch. The status of the Gi1/0/1 is "not
    > > connected". Is it because I cant do it on a fibre module?

    >
    > > Thank you

    >
    > Hai,
    > wat Model of 3750 switch r u using?Gi1/0/1 is it fiber connection or
    > Ethernet?
    > B'cos i hav to deal with 3750 -24 10/100/1000 ethernet + 4 SFP.I have
    > couple of question reg that.Can u help me out?
    >
    > Thanxs in advance.


    The switches I am working with is a 3750 48 10/100/1000 ethernet port
    with 4 SFP module slots. If you have any porblems, just post it see if
    I can help.
    , Mar 6, 2008
    #3
  4. Greeley

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2007
    Messages:
    67
    Are you configuring it to be a trunk or an access port? What is it provisioned for on the nortel side?

    --G
    Greeley, Mar 6, 2008
    #4
  5. <> wrote:
    >
    > The switches I am working with is a 3750 48 10/100/1000 ethernet port
    > with 4 SFP module slots. If you have any porblems, just post it see if
    > I can help.


    Then you certainly mean gi1/0/49.

    The 48 copper ports are numbered 1 thru 48, and the SFP ones are the
    next 4. Same on 24 port versions.

    The numbers actually are present (very tiny) in the link LEDs of the
    ports.

    Hope this helps,

    --maarten
    Maarten Carels, Mar 6, 2008
    #5
  6. Guest

    Thank u Xia,

    What is ur network architecture?How is Gi1/0/1 is connected ?menaing
    wat fiber single mode or multimode fiber cable?and wat knid of patch
    panel u used ?
    Iam lookin for 3750 switch especially...

    wat
    >
    > The switches I am working with is a 3750 48 10/100/1000 ethernet port
    > with 4 SFP module slots. If you have any porblems, just post it see if
    > I can help.- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -
    , Mar 6, 2008
    #6
  7. Guest

    On Mar 6, 11:32 am, (Maarten Carels) wrote:
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > The switches I am working with is a 3750 48 10/100/1000 ethernet port
    > > with 4 SFP module slots. If you have any porblems, just post it see if
    > > I can help.

    >
    > Then you certainly mean gi1/0/49.
    >
    > The 48 copper ports are numbered 1 thru 48, and the SFP ones are the
    > next 4. Same on 24 port versions.
    >
    > The numbers actually are present (very tiny) in the link LEDs of the
    > ports.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > --maarten


    helllo......
    no ...u r wrong....if it is 48 ports 10/100/1000 ethernet ......with 4
    sfp ports
    the first SFP port will be Gi/0/1 apart from that 48 ports.i think it
    is needed to check both ends of the switches for correct match....
    like same kind of transceiver are used or not???
    , Mar 6, 2008
    #7
  8. Guest

    On Mar 7, 1:00 am, wrote:
    > Thank u Xia,
    >
    > What is ur network architecture?How is Gi1/0/1 is connected ?menaing
    > wat fiber single mode or multimode fiber cable?and wat knid of patch
    > panel u used ?
    > Iam lookin for 3750 switch especially...
    >
    > wat
    >
    >
    >
    > > The switches I am working with is a 3750 48 10/100/1000 ethernet port
    > > with 4 SFP module slots. If you have any porblems, just post it see if
    > > I can help.- Hide quoted text -

    >
    > > - Show quoted text -


    We nomally use 3750 as L3 switches, ospf route the traffic between the
    core switch and the vlans these L3 switches. In this case, we uplink
    the gi1/0/1 fiber module port to the friber module port of a Nortel470
    48 ports L2 switch, then configured the gi1/0/1 as a switchport in a
    vlan. But the friber module of the Nortel 470 can't communicate with
    the fiber module of cisco 3750. The fiber we used is sc to lc. We have
    tried some Nortel450 28 ports switches, they can communicate with the
    cisco fiber module well. Have no idea of this strange thing, anyone
    has a clue?

    We used multimode fiber between the core switch and these 3720
    switches. I think we used single mode fiber for the long distance,
    such as the one between the boundry router and core switch, but not
    sure about it. We use both Cat5 and Cat6 patch panels.

    Regards
    , Mar 7, 2008
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. zher
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    8,855
  2. joeblow
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,205
    Philip D'Ath
    Mar 14, 2005
  3. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    17,674
    Gallwapa
    Oct 25, 2005
  4. Dan Irwin

    gigabit switch, 8 port vs 5 port

    Dan Irwin, Feb 24, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    612
    Ralph Wade Phillips
    Feb 29, 2004
  5. Tony Neville
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,549
    steve
    Sep 22, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page