Change password with 802.1x WinXP and cached Passwords.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Michael King, Apr 25, 2005.

  1. Michael King

    Michael King Guest

    We use the built in 802.1x supplicate in Windows XP on our corporate
    network, we also support around 2000 students that are not part of our
    domain.

    We've had them authenticating fine for almost a year now, by having them
    uncheck "use my username/password/domain automatically".

    Our domain policy has password expiration, and due to the fact that most of
    the students change they're password in September, all of they're passwords
    are expiring this week.

    Now for the bad news. For the life of us, we can't figure out how to change
    the cached credentials on the built-in 802.1x supplicant. We know how to
    delete the EAPOL registry key, but trying to talk 2000 users thru this
    process is looking like a nightmare. We know we can make a simple script to
    delete the key, but we are still faced with the problem of distributing this
    script to 2000 users, that will effectively have no internet access.

    Is there a better way than deleting this registry key? (We've also found
    removing, and reconfiguring they're wireless connection works). What would
    be ideal is that when the supplicate get's a "bad password" response back is
    a popup that allows you to overwrite the cached password. The worst part of
    this nightmare is that it's going to happen everytime our password change
    policy is enforced.

    Michael King, Apr 25, 2005