Change "Open With" option in FF?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Tom Accuosti, Nov 24, 2004.

  1. Tom Accuosti

    Tom Accuosti Guest

    I've been using FF for my default browser for a while now, and recently
    installed that new Google Desktop Search. Firing up Google DS first
    opens FF and then it searches and displays the results in a
    regular-looking browser window. If I look for a word or phrase that
    comes up as, say, an MS Word or Excel doc, I can click on the link and
    the file loads right into Word or Excel.

    But somewhere in one of the options when I installed FF I thought I saw
    that I could have files open into a different program. Specifically, I'd
    like the MS files to open in OpenOffice. Either it's there and I'm
    overlooking it, or my memory is fritzed. Right-clicking on a link only
    gives the normal Browser options (Open in New Window, New Tab, etc.). I
    tried about:config, but didn't see anything there that looked helpful.

    Please note that I don't want to make OO my default program for these
    files on my system, I'm just looking for an option to open MS files when
    using the search engine/FF combination. Any suggestions?

    Tom

    Tom Accuosti, Nov 24, 2004

  2. Tom Accuosti

    Ranjit Guest

    Tom Accuosti wrote:
    > I've been using FF for my default browser for a while now, and recently
    > installed that new Google Desktop Search. Firing up Google DS first
    > opens FF and then it searches and displays the results in a
    > regular-looking browser window. If I look for a word or phrase that
    > comes up as, say, an MS Word or Excel doc, I can click on the link and
    > the file loads right into Word or Excel.
    >
    > But somewhere in one of the options when I installed FF I thought I saw
    > that I could have files open into a different program. Specifically, I'd
    > like the MS files to open in OpenOffice. Either it's there and I'm
    > overlooking it, or my memory is fritzed. Right-clicking on a link only
    > gives the normal Browser options (Open in New Window, New Tab, etc.). I
    > tried about:config, but didn't see anything there that looked helpful.
    >
    > Please note that I don't want to make OO my default program for these
    > files on my system, I'm just looking for an option to open MS files when
    > using the search engine/FF combination. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Tom

    Goto Tools -> options -> Downloads.
    There select the file type you want the action to be changed and then
    hit "Change Action" and set the new application you want to open the file.

    -Ranjit

    Ranjit, Nov 24, 2004

  3. Tom Accuosti

    Tom Accuosti Guest

    "Ranjit" <> wrote in message
    | Tom Accuosti wrote:
    || I've been using FF for my default browser for a while now, and
    || recently installed that new Google Desktop Search. Firing up Google
    || DS first opens FF and then it searches and displays the results in a
    || regular-looking browser window. If I look for a word or phrase that
    || comes up as, say, an MS Word or Excel doc, I can click on the link
    || and the file loads right into Word or Excel.
    || But somewhere in one of the options when I installed FF I thought I
    || saw that I could have files open into a different program.
    || Specifically, I'd like the MS files to open in OpenOffice. Either
    || it's there and I'm overlooking it, or my memory is fritzed.
    || Right-clicking on a link only gives the normal Browser options (Open
    || in New Window, New Tab, etc.). I tried about:config, but didn't see
    || anything there that looked helpful.
    || Please note that I don't want to make OO my default program for these
    || files on my system, I'm just looking for an option to open MS files
    || when using the search engine/FF combination. Any suggestions?
    || Tom
    |
    | Goto Tools -> options -> Downloads.
    | There select the file type you want the action to be changed and then
    | hit "Change Action" and set the new application you want to open the
    | file.

    I'm looking at it now. THere's no option to add a New file or
    application type.
    In the File Types window there are listed PDF and several types of media
    files, and under that buttons for Change Action... and Remove and
    Plug-Ins... So, how do I get it to ask for a New or different file type?

    Tom Accuosti, Nov 24, 2004
  4. Tom Accuosti

    Tom Accuosti Guest

    "Tom Accuosti" <> wrote in message
    | "Ranjit" <> wrote in message
    || Tom Accuosti wrote:
    ||| I've been using FF for my default browser for a while now, and
    ||| recently installed that new Google Desktop Search. Firing up Google
    ||| DS first opens FF and then it searches and displays the results in a
    ||| regular-looking browser window. If I look for a word or phrase that
    ||| comes up as, say, an MS Word or Excel doc, I can click on the link
    ||| and the file loads right into Word or Excel.
    ||| But somewhere in one of the options when I installed FF I thought I
    ||| saw that I could have files open into a different program.
    ||| Specifically, I'd like the MS files to open in OpenOffice. Either
    ||| it's there and I'm overlooking it, or my memory is fritzed.
    ||| Right-clicking on a link only gives the normal Browser options (Open
    ||| in New Window, New Tab, etc.). I tried about:config, but didn't see
    ||| anything there that looked helpful.
    ||| Please note that I don't want to make OO my default program for
    ||| these files on my system, I'm just looking for an option to open MS
    ||| files when using the search engine/FF combination. Any suggestions?
    ||| Tom
    || Goto Tools -> options -> Downloads.
    || There select the file type you want the action to be changed and then
    || hit "Change Action" and set the new application you want to open the
    || file.
    |

    | I'm looking at it now. THere's no option to add a New file or
    | application type.
    | In the File Types window there are listed PDF and several types of
    | media files, and under that buttons for Change Action... and Remove
    | and Plug-Ins... So, how do I get it to ask for a New or different
    | file type?

    Okay, I used FF to surf to my C: drive and then found a .doc file,
    clicked on it and it asked me what to do. I then set the default to
    open with OO, which it did. So far so good. I close FF, then opened the
    Google DS (which opens up FF to search with). I searched for the same
    doc file, clicked, and it opened in Word. Grrr! I checked the Tools -
    Options - Downloads, and yup, it shows MS WOrd files to open in OO. So
    perhaps this is a factor of using the Google engine and not FF?

    Tom Accuosti, Nov 24, 2004