    there a way to change the Policy setting on this laptop to allow me full
    access ? I am already administrator on the PC.

    thank you

    jtsnow, Jan 30, 2005

  2. jtsnow

    donnie Guest

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 19:08:24 -0800, "jtsnow" <> wrote:

    >I have an old work Laptop for my personal use with company Win2000 on it. I
    >would like to update it Network Policy restriction prevent downloads. Is
    >there a way to change the Policy setting on this laptop to allow me full
    >access ? I am already administrator on the PC.
    >
    >thank you

    ############################
    It's not clear to me but I think you're saying that you want to
    re-enable downloads. Just being loggedin as administrator should give
    you that ability. Is there a policy editor running on the maching?
    Look in the task manager.
    donnie.

    donnie, Jan 30, 2005

  3. jtsnow

    jtsnow Guest

    Hi thanks. I looked in task manage and there is nothing running that has
    the words policy in it. I am ful admin on this PC. Its an old work PC with
    the company software on it and Im using it for personal use now and not
    connected to their network anymore.
    Is there a program name I should look for that is policy editor. When i do
    a file search on policy....there is .exe call "policytool" in program
    files/javasoft\1.2\bin folder. should I delete that and see what happens?

    jtsnow, Jan 30, 2005
  4. jtsnow

    winged Guest

    jtsnow wrote:
    > Hi thanks. I looked in task manage and there is nothing running that has
    > the words policy in it. I am ful admin on this PC. Its an old work PC with
    > the company software on it and Im using it for personal use now and not
    > connected to their network anymore.
    > Is there a program name I should look for that is policy editor. When i do
    > a file search on policy....there is .exe call "policytool" in program
    > files/javasoft\1.2\bin folder. should I delete that and see what happens?
    >
    > "donnie" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 19:08:24 -0800, "jtsnow" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have an old work Laptop for my personal use with company Win2000 on it.
    >>>would like to update it Network Policy restriction prevent downloads. Is
    >>>there a way to change the Policy setting on this laptop to allow me full
    >>>access ? I am already administrator on the PC.
    >>>
    >>>thank you
    >>>

    >>############################
    >>It's not clear to me but I think you're saying that you want to
    >>re-enable downloads. Just being loggedin as administrator should give
    >>you that ability. Is there a policy editor running on the maching?
    >>Look in the task manager.
    >>donnie.

    Type MMC at the command prompt. You will probably need to add the IP
    security Policy management (if I remember right) snap-in to the console.
    The MMC only runs when you call it. The policies you set apply
    settings to registry that cause the restriction. The Microsoft
    management console (MMC)allows you to make many changes. Warning, you
    can break things using the console so be sure you understand the
    settings you choose to set.

    Winged

    winged, Feb 3, 2005
  5. ARGGGGGG

    Been there and done that. Drove myself nuts looking in gpedit.msc on the
    local machine and it just caused me to get more grey hairs.

    Finally, I just formatted C and started from scratch.

    Still have the grey hair but its always good to wipe boxes, particularly
    those that have been part of networks with all kinds of restrictions,
    especially non-active directory restrictions.

    CC

    Curious George, Feb 3, 2005
  6. jtsnow

    winged Guest

    Yup, some restrictions are permanent and basically require either a
    rebuild or a full restore of the original registry from the command
    prompt. I thought he was trying to add restrictions. Additionally he
    needs to disable FTP and tftp services in the service manager. I
    believe XP home was crippled so the amount of control via policy is
    negligible. Additionally if the company had set certain restrictions
    they could prevent him from disabling auto downloading say new policy
    modifications. He didn't mention if the PC was set up to use AD on the
    local company network which could put many things out of reach,
    depending on what was set as restrictions and how the OU was configured
    irrespective of local machine admin perms.

    Winged

    winged, Feb 3, 2005