    How can I change this to "Brian" (without the quotes)?
    TIA
    Brian Tozer

    KiwiBrian, Oct 1, 2005

  2. KiwiBrian

    Harry Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:

    > After an installation of XP SP2 the system has a default name of 'test'
    > that it often offers me when I am installing new programs.
    > How can I change this to "Brian" (without the quotes)?

    Fire up regedit and search for all instances of 'test' and change
    the them to 'Brian'. But be careful you dont change things such
    as 'latest', or the wrong instances of 'test'.
    You will need to scrap files such as test.pwl, test.wab etc, but new
    ones will get created automatically.

    Harry, Oct 2, 2005

  3. >
    > Fire up regedit and search for all instances of 'test' and change
    > the them to 'Brian'. But be careful you dont change things such
    > as 'latest', or the wrong instances of 'test'.
    > You will need to scrap files such as test.pwl, test.wab etc, but new
    > ones will get created automatically.

    I would think going into the System Control Panel and into the Computer Name
    tag would be alot easier

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Oct 2, 2005
  4. KiwiBrian

    Bok Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >>Fire up regedit and search for all instances of 'test' and change
    >>the them to 'Brian'. But be careful you dont change things such
    >>as 'latest', or the wrong instances of 'test'.
    >>You will need to scrap files such as test.pwl, test.wab etc, but new
    >>ones will get created automatically.
    >>

    > I would think going into the System Control Panel and into the Computer Name
    > tag would be alot easier

    From the OP's description I gathered he needs to changed the
    'Registered Owner' not the computer name. Software installers often
    present 'Registered Owner' and company (sometimes allowing you to change
    them). I've never come across one that displays the computer name.

    The 'Registered to: details that are displayed in System Properties can
    be changed using regedit as follows:

    Find and go to below key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version

    Change the name 'test' in following subkey
    RegisteredOwner.

    This is the key used by most installers.

    You could also search for other occurrences of 'test', checking the
    usage context and changing them as required (as Harry already suggested).

    Bok, Oct 2, 2005
  5. KiwiBrian

    Harry Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:

    >> Fire up regedit and search for all instances of 'test' and change
    >> the them to 'Brian'. But be careful you dont change things such
    >> as 'latest', or the wrong instances of 'test'.
    >> You will need to scrap files such as test.pwl, test.wab etc, but new
    >> ones will get created automatically.
    >>

    > I would think going into the System Control Panel and into the Computer
    > Name tag would be alot easier

    You might think that ... but it would only change the network name.

    Besides, did you really think that KiwiBrian was posting to this
    newsgroup to ask a question so absurdly simple that even you could
    answer it?

    Harry, Oct 2, 2005