    Would changing my cell number change the isp?
    4.Is my email account through yahoo registered under my isp address.?

    , Jan 16, 2009

  2. Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About This Time And Date In History,
    Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
    > I have a laptop that I mainly use on different wifi connections at
    > coffee shops, but I also use it occassionallyon my t- mobile cell
    > phone (which can be used as a modem.
    > I need to change my isp address........
    > My questions are -
    > 1. If I change the name of my computer under system info will that
    > change my isp address?
    > 2.Is my isp address different when using different wifi connections?
    > 3.How do I change my isp address with my t mobile phone as a modem??
    > Would changing my cell number change the isp?
    > 4.Is my email account through yahoo registered under my isp address.?

    Short: every time you connect to the Internet you have a new address.
    Email is by user name and pass word.

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere

    Old Gringo, Jan 16, 2009

  3. Guest

    On Jan 16, 11:24 am, Old Gringo <> wrote:
    > On Or About This Time And Date In History,
    > Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::> I have a laptop that I mainly use on different wifi connections at
    > > coffee shops, but I also use it occassionallyon my  t- mobile cell
    > > phone (which can be used as a modem.
    > > I need to change my isp address........
    > > My questions are -
    > > 1. If I change the name of my computer under system info will that
    > > change my isp address?
    > > 2.Is my isp address different when using different wifi connections?
    > > 3.How do I change my isp address with my t mobile phone as a modem??
    > > Would changing my cell number change the isp?
    > > 4.Is my email account through yahoo registered under my isp address.?

    > Short: every time you connect to the Internet you have a new address.
    >   Email is by user name and pass word.
    >
    > --
    > Old Gringo
    > Just West Of Nowhere
    > Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullesthttp://www.NuBoy-Industries.comm

    So Tracking my internet activity would be by my computer name under
    system info??
    And a different isp address even with the use of my t-mobile cell
    phone as a modem everytime I log on??

    , Jan 16, 2009
  4. Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About This Time And Date In History,
    Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
    > On Jan 16, 11:24 am, Old Gringo <> wrote:
    >> On Or About This Time And Date In History,
    >> Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::> I have a laptop that I mainly use on different wifi connections at
    >>> coffee shops, but I also use it occassionallyon my t- mobile cell
    >>> phone (which can be used as a modem.
    >>> I need to change my isp address........
    >>> My questions are -
    >>> 1. If I change the name of my computer under system info will that
    >>> change my isp address?
    >>> 2.Is my isp address different when using different wifi connections?
    >>> 3.How do I change my isp address with my t mobile phone as a modem??
    >>> Would changing my cell number change the isp?
    >>> 4.Is my email account through yahoo registered under my isp address.?

    >> Short: every time you connect to the Internet you have a new address.
    >> Email is by user name and pass word.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Old Gringo
    >> Just West Of Nowhere
    >> Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullesthttp://www.NuBoy-Industries.comm

    > So Tracking my internet activity would be by my computer name under
    > system info??
    > And a different isp address even with the use of my t-mobile cell
    > phone as a modem everytime I log on??

    Case Closed

    Old Gringo, Jan 16, 2009
  5. why? Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 08:57:18 -0800 (PST),
    wrote:

    >I have a laptop that I mainly use on different wifi connections at
    >coffee shops, but I also use it occassionallyon my t- mobile cell
    >phone (which can be used as a modem.
    >I need to change my isp address........
    >My questions are -
    >1. If I change the name of my computer under system info will that
    >change my isp address?

    Option 1 - No.
    Option 2 - What do you mean by isp address?

    >2.Is my isp address different when using different wifi connections?

    If the isp is different they would have different addresses, such as the
    IP address and domain names.

    Your PC name is your PC name, wether it's

    OEM-12345678
    OEM-12345678.thenameofisp1.com
    OEM-12345678.anotherisp2.net

    However the computer name means nothing to my isp, only the IP address /
    name they allocate to my router matters. It's name is totally different
    to my PC name.

    >3.How do I change my isp address with my t mobile phone as a modem??
    >Would changing my cell number change the isp?

    Would your connection work after doing that?

    >4.Is my email account through yahoo registered under my isp address.?

    Your email account is registered yo yahoo, the mail unless you
    redirected it, goes to yahoo servers.

    What do you mean by isp address?

    Me

    why?, Jan 16, 2009
  6. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    Re: Change my isp address

    Your message, subject, and questions don't make any sense as written.
    Perhaps you are thinking/saying 'isp' when you actually mean IP.

    ISP stands for internet service provider. IP in the context of IP address
    stands for internet protocol which IP (address) is the logical address
    typically reflecting your connectivity.

    For example, currently your decision to post to a usenet group via GG
    reflects not only your login identity, but also your connectivity IP
    76.113.207.11 which is a .hsd1.mn.comcast.net connxn.

    > I have a laptop that I mainly use on different wifi connections at
    > coffee shops, but I also use it occassionallyon my t- mobile cell
    > phone (which can be used as a modem.
    > I need to change my isp address........

    Do you mean IP? And if you do mean IP, why do you mean/say/ask that?

    > My questions are -
    > 1. If I change the name of my computer under system info will that
    > change my isp address?

    Do you mean IP? And if you do mean IP, the answer is no -- and you are
    very uninformed about the background for the questions you are asking and
    you aren't saying why you are trying to do something that you apparently
    know nothing about.

    > 2.Is my isp address different when using different wifi connections?

    Do you mean IP? And if you do, the answer is yes. But why do you ask?

    > 3.How do I change my isp address with my t mobile phone as a modem??
    > Would changing my cell number change the isp?

    Do you mean IP? Why do you want to change your IP? Are you doing
    something bad?

    > 4.Is my email account through yahoo registered under my isp address.?

    Do you mean IP? If you do, the answer is no.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 16, 2009
  7. Guest

    On Jan 16, 2:52 pm, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > Re: Change my isp address
    >
    > Your message, subject, and questions don't make any sense as written.
    > Perhaps you are thinking/saying 'isp' when you actually mean IP.
    >
    > ISP stands for internet service provider.  IP in the context of IP address
    > stands for internet protocol which IP (address) is the logical address
    > typically reflecting your connectivity.
    >
    > For example, currently your decision to post to a usenet group via GG
    > reflects not only your login identity, but also your connectivity IP
    > 76.113.207.11 which is a .hsd1.mn.comcast.net connxn.
    >
    > > I have a laptop that I mainly use on different wifi connections at
    > > coffee shops, but I also use it occassionallyon my  t- mobile cell
    > > phone (which can be used as a modem.
    > > I need to change my isp address........

    > Do you mean IP?  And if you do mean IP, why do you mean/say/ask that?
    >
    > > My questions are -
    > > 1. If I change the name of my computer under system info will that
    > > change my isp address?

    > Do you mean IP?  And if you do mean IP, the answer is no -- and you are
    > very uninformed about the background for the questions you are asking and
    > you aren't saying why you are trying to do something that you apparently
    > know nothing about.
    >
    > > 2.Is my isp address different when using different wifi connections?

    > Do you mean IP?  And if you do, the answer is yes.  But why do you ask?
    >
    > > 3.How do I change my isp address with my t mobile phone as a modem??
    > > Would changing my cell number change the isp?

    > Do you mean IP?  Why do you want to change your IP?  Are you doing
    > something bad?
    >
    > > 4.Is my email account through yahoo registered under my isp address.?

    > Do you mean IP?  If you do, the answer is no.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    No, not doing anything bad except from trying to keep my "soon to be
    ex" from tracking me on the internet :)

    , Jan 16, 2009
  8. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> Do you mean IP? Why do you want to change your IP? Are you doing
    >> something bad?

    > No, not doing anything bad except from trying to keep my "soon to be
    > ex" from tracking me on the internet :)

    Tracking?

    If your ex can bring sufficient resources to bear, there are a lot of ways
    s/he can spy on you - legally and illegally.

    In the beginning, your ex comes to the table with all kinds of information
    about what is commonly referred to as your 'meatspace' identity. That is,
    as we are speaking here, _to me_ you only have a cyberspace persona
    'completemassages' and you have a geographic location probably in MN maybe
    St. Paul/ twin cities and a connectivity provider comcast.

    But your ex starts with the knowledge of who you are in reallife,
    including all of your personal info like SSN, relatives, employers,
    friends, pets, etc.

    Then, if s/he were keeping tabs on you, s/he would/might want to break
    some privacy/security, say by bribing someone in your provider's records,
    or maybe by taking advantage of your computer related insecurities. If
    s/he had a lot of technical resources and could get access to your
    computer and 'rig' it to help it spy on you, then you would be very
    insecure.

    Your concept of hiding your connectivity IP address doesn't really help
    you in that regard of how an ex would start with/ inside of/ the meatspace
    insecurities and expand it to/ crack/ the/your cyberspace activities and
    privacy information. Like having the username and password to your email,
    for example.

    Most people who are trying to hide their IP address, such as by using a
    proxy to access a website or to anonymize their email are trying to
    accomplish a different thing than you are.

    If you are being 'stalked' and you are running away/ fleeing/ hiding/ from
    someone you fear might cause you bodily harm, then your hiding strategy
    would be different than if you had some other kind of privacy/secrecy
    wishes.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 16, 2009
  9. PeeCee Guest

    <> wrote in message
    snip
    > > My questions are -
    > > 1. If I change the name of my computer under system info will that
    > > change my isp address?

    No, all that will do is change the name of your computer.

    snip
    > > 2.Is my isp address different when using different wifi connections?

    The ISP 'could' be different for each WiFi connection depending on who the
    WiFi provider uses as an ISP

    snip
    > > 3.How do I change my isp address with my t mobile phone as a modem??
    > > Would changing my cell number change the isp?

    You can not change your ISP's address.

    snip
    > > 4.Is my email account through yahoo registered under my isp address.?

    No, it's registered to 'Yahoo' & no one else.

    snip
    No, not doing anything bad except from trying to keep my "soon to be
    ex" from tracking me on the internet :)

    mmmm acrimonious split, I wish you well, but you need to ease of on the
    paranoia.

    Now if I read the responses from and to other posters it appears you are
    confusing 'ISP' with 'IP'
    'ISP' means "Internet Service Provider' a company that provides access to
    the Interent.
    'IP' is a contraction of 'TCP/IP' which stands for 'Transport Control
    Protocol/Internet Protocol" and is commonly used to mean the 'address'
    assigned to an Internet connected device by an ISP.

    I quite agree with Mike Easters assessment of your situation.
    Your 'ex' is going to find you much easier to track through knowing who you
    are and what you do rather than knowing what TCP/IP address is assigned to
    what ever Internet connection you are using moment to moment.

    The fact is for the average user the chance of someone tracking them through
    their Internet address is practically nil!
    The average ISP is not going to respond to some Gumshoe or wound up 'Ex'
    that bangs on their front door demanding to know where you surfed last
    night.
    Besides when you connect to the net via the local coffee shops WiFi access,
    how are they going to connect the coffee shops Internet address to you?
    Sure with the right 'offical' court orders, and input from various
    government agencies with forensic analysis of your computer, officaldom can
    track you.
    If you think you are that 'important' then I can only suggest you up your
    tranquilizer dosage.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jan 17, 2009
  10. richard Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 13:15:39 -0800 (PST),
    wrote:

    >On Jan 16, 2:52 pm, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> Re: Change my isp address
    >>
    >> Your message, subject, and questions don't make any sense as written.
    >> Perhaps you are thinking/saying 'isp' when you actually mean IP.
    >>
    >> ISP stands for internet service provider.  IP in the context of IP address
    >> stands for internet protocol which IP (address) is the logical address
    >> typically reflecting your connectivity.
    >>
    >> For example, currently your decision to post to a usenet group via GG
    >> reflects not only your login identity, but also your connectivity IP
    >> 76.113.207.11 which is a .hsd1.mn.comcast.net connxn.
    >>
    >> > I have a laptop that I mainly use on different wifi connections at
    >> > coffee shops, but I also use it occassionallyon my  t- mobile cell
    >> > phone (which can be used as a modem.
    >> > I need to change my isp address........

    >> Do you mean IP?  And if you do mean IP, why do you mean/say/ask that?
    >>
    >> > My questions are -
    >> > 1. If I change the name of my computer under system info will that
    >> > change my isp address?

    >> Do you mean IP?  And if you do mean IP, the answer is no -- and you are
    >> very uninformed about the background for the questions you are asking and
    >> you aren't saying why you are trying to do something that you apparently
    >> know nothing about.
    >>
    >> > 2.Is my isp address different when using different wifi connections?

    >> Do you mean IP?  And if you do, the answer is yes.  But why do you ask?
    >>
    >> > 3.How do I change my isp address with my t mobile phone as a modem??
    >> > Would changing my cell number change the isp?

    >> Do you mean IP?  Why do you want to change your IP?  Are you doing
    >> something bad?
    >>
    >> > 4.Is my email account through yahoo registered under my isp address.?

    >> Do you mean IP?  If you do, the answer is no.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Easter

    >No, not doing anything bad except from trying to keep my "soon to be
    >ex" from tracking me on the internet :)

    Oh please. I think you've been watching to many CSI crime shows where
    they can do all this magical stuff in the blink of an eye. In real
    life, it ain't gonna happen that way.

    Exactly how is your ex gonna track YOU?
    By your posted IP? Oh please. That's a myth the cops want to make you
    believe is the real thing. Like, there is one and only one person
    assigned to an IP. That's bullshit. If I can have a dozen or more
    websites all showing the same IP, don't you think then more than
    person can use the same IP?

    Personally, I'm sick and tired of these crime shows showing how fast
    they can nab a bad guy simply by the IP. Like they can track you down
    right to your apartment and you're in a 300 story building with 10,000
    units. Yeah right. Not to mention navigating Manhattan traffic in 10
    minutes or less.

    To find out who you are, I'd have to get a court order to have the
    owner of your IP release that information. Otherwise, it ain't gonna
    happen.

    If I were you, just do your thing and try and let your ex track you.
    Then let the ex try and prove it was you.
    IOW, have fun, and say to the ex, **** you and kiss my ass.

    BTW, tracking the IP number only says where that particular server is.
    It does not say where YOU are. That server might be in St Paul when in
    fact, you are in Omaha on dial up.

    richard, Jan 17, 2009
  11. richard Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:52:12 -0800, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >Re: Change my isp address
    >
    >Your message, subject, and questions don't make any sense as written.
    >Perhaps you are thinking/saying 'isp' when you actually mean IP.
    >
    >ISP stands for internet service provider. IP in the context of IP address
    >stands for internet protocol which IP (address) is the logical address
    >typically reflecting your connectivity.
    >
    >For example, currently your decision to post to a usenet group via GG
    >reflects not only your login identity, but also your connectivity IP
    >76.113.207.11 which is a .hsd1.mn.comcast.net connxn.

    Pray tell kind sir, I'm on dial up. I call a local number, that
    connects me to another number and I eventually get online.
    Assuming for the moment I actually am in Mn, exactly where is only a
    guess on your part. That IP only says where the server is, not the
    customer.
    So how would you know exactly where I am by the IP?

    Knowing that comcast is a cable company, does comcast not also have
    dialup numbers?

    richard, Jan 17, 2009
  12. Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 09:48:34 -0500, richard <>
    wrote:

    >Oh please. I think you've been watching to many CSI crime shows where
    >they can do all this magical stuff in the blink of an eye. In real
    >life, it ain't gonna happen that way.

    Correct there...

    >Exactly how is your ex gonna track YOU?
    >By your posted IP? Oh please. That's a myth the cops want to make you
    >believe is the real thing. Like, there is one and only one person
    >assigned to an IP.

    Uhh yes, that's actually correct. AT A TIME. Once I disconnect or
    obtain a new IP, someone else can get my IP. But as long as I'm
    connected and have my IP, it's myne and only myne. (Let's just for the
    sake of argument say we're talking about a PUBLIC IP, obviously).

    >That's bullshit. If I can have a dozen or more websites all showing the same IP, don't you think then more than
    >person can use the same IP?

    You are 100% clueless.

    All those websites on the same IP are on the same MACHINE.

    >Personally, I'm sick and tired of these crime shows showing how fast
    >they can nab a bad guy simply by the IP. Like they can track you down
    >right to your apartment and you're in a 300 story building with 10,000
    >units. Yeah right. Not to mention navigating Manhattan traffic in 10
    >minutes or less.

    The police can track you down by your IP - at least via your ISP
    saying "Yes, RtS resides at this address..."

    >To find out who you are, I'd have to get a court order to have the
    >owner of your IP release that information. Otherwise, it ain't gonna
    >happen.

    The police have it much simpler.

    >BTW, tracking the IP number only says where that particular server is.
    >It does not say where YOU are. That server might be in St Paul when in
    >fact, you are in Omaha on dial up.

    Holy crap. You are totally clueless. Wrong, wrong wrong, wrong wrong.
    WRONG.

    Evan Platt, Jan 17, 2009
  13. Evan Platt Guest

    wrote:

    >BTW, tracking the IP number only says where that particular server is.
    >It does not say where YOU are. That server might be in St Paul when in
    >fact, you are in Omaha on dial up.

    So.. No reply, RtS?

    Evan Platt, Jan 19, 2009