    desktop area to be larger than my actual monitor size.. can't find how to
    undo this. looked all around in "configure desktop"..

    do i have to reinstall?
    newsguy, Apr 24, 2004

  2. newsguy

    Boomer Guest

    "newsguy" <> wrote in
    news:6Bjic.3183$:

    > hello, installed mandrake 10.0 as a linux beginner.. apparently i
    > set the desktop area to be larger than my actual monitor size..
    > can't find how to undo this. looked all around in "configure
    > desktop"..
    >
    > do i have to reinstall?

    Have you asked at these groups also?

    alt.os.linux.mandrake
    comp.windows.x.kde
    Boomer, Apr 24, 2004

  3. newsguy

    Robin Hall Guest

    "newsguy" <> wrote in message
    > hello, installed mandrake 10.0 as a linux beginner.. apparently i set the
    > desktop area to be larger than my actual monitor size.. can't find how to
    > undo this. looked all around in "configure desktop"..
    >
    > do i have to reinstall?

    You need to reset up your X windows. It isn't the kde desktop. If you go to
    the command prompt and type xf86config it will take you through the setup. I
    would type 'man xf86config' and get as much info about it as you can. Make
    sure you know what you have for hardware and what the specs are for it. If
    you don't you will get yourself into more trouble.

    Robin Hall, Apr 24, 2004
  4. newsguy

    newsguy Guest

    "Robin Hall" <> wrote in message

    > "newsguy" <> wrote in message
    > > hello, installed mandrake 10.0 as a linux beginner.. apparently i set

    the
    > > desktop area to be larger than my actual monitor size.. can't find how

    > > undo this. looked all around in "configure desktop"..
    > >
    > > do i have to reinstall?
    > >

    > You need to reset up your X windows. It isn't the kde desktop. If you go

    > the command prompt and type xf86config it will take you through the setup.

    > would type 'man xf86config' and get as much info about it as you can. Make
    > sure you know what you have for hardware and what the specs are for it. If
    > you don't you will get yourself into more trouble.

    I re-ran my install program and it was pretty easy to just change the
    settings there. Didnt have to re write the whole installation or anything..
    Thanks for your input though.
    newsguy, Apr 24, 2004
  5. newsguy

    Parko Guest

    On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 01:41:22 +0000, newsguy wrote:

    > hello, installed mandrake 10.0 as a linux beginner.. apparently i set the
    > desktop area to be larger than my actual monitor size.. can't find how to
    > undo this. looked all around in "configure desktop"..
    >
    > do i have to reinstall?

    This is easy-peasy. "start" (the K button)> configururation > configure
    your computer > hardware > configure your monitor. Try wandering off to
    alt.os.linux.mandrake. Also try comp.os.linux.hardware,
    comp.windows.x.kde, comp.os.linux.setup. The folk at a.o.l.m are a very
    helpful lot provided you do a search of the group first for possible
    solutions to your problem. Oh, and welcome to Mandrake Linux, IMHO the
    best of the Linux distributions that I've tried.

    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345
    Parko, Apr 24, 2004