  1. I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+. I just realized that I
    accidentally installed the 32-bit vista operating system instead of the
    64-bit. Is there anyway i can change to 64-bit?

    =?Utf-8?B?S2VlZXAgT3V0?=, Sep 24, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?S2VlZXAgT3V0?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 21:28:02 -0700, Keeep Out
    <> wrote:

    >Is there anyway i can change to 64-bit?

    No. You have to start from scratch again.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Sep 24, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?S2VlZXAgT3V0?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You have to install the 64-bit system. Reformat the partition when you
    install the 64-bit version.

    John Barnes, Sep 24, 2006
  4. No, there's no way to change it. Nor can you do an upgrade to it. You must
    do a fresh, clean install for x64. Ideally, you should either install to a
    different partition, or format the partition you have your current 32-bit
    Vista installation on and then install there.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 24, 2006
  5. is it worth it to change to 64-bit? what are the differences?

    =?Utf-8?B?S2VlZXAgT3V0?=, Sep 24, 2006
  6. You might look at this whitepaper I wrote for MS. It's about XP x64, but
    many of the same issues are still there and worth considering. The x64
    version of Vista will probably be better supported, _when it ships_, but at
    this point, XP x64 is better supported, IMHO.

    http://download.microsoft.com/downl..._XP_Professional_x64_Edition_Right_for_Me.doc

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 24, 2006
  7. Feature-wise there is no difference. Read Charlie's whitepaper for the
    technical differences between 32bit and 64bit Windows computing. If you
    have a hankering for running 64bit Vista, then just do the reinstallation.
    You may have an obsolete boot options entry afterwards but you should be
    able to clean that up with VistaBoot Pro.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 25, 2006
  8. Hi. I am upgrade from RC1 32-bit til RC1 64-bit.

    Do i need a new produkt key?

    Brian V
    Denmark

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4gVg==?=, Nov 13, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?S2VlZXAgT3V0?=

    Theo Guest

    The product key will work in either Vista x86 or x64.
    However, you cannot "upgrade" from x86 to x64. It must be a
    clean install of x64.

    Theo, Nov 13, 2006
  10. Thank you Theo.

    I knew about the clean harddrive. I just needed to know if the key was the
    same.

    Thanks again

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4gVg==?=, Nov 13, 2006