Change Firefox bookmark icon thingies?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by penguin676, Sep 18, 2006.

  1. penguin676

    penguin676 Guest

    Greetings;

    Yes, I know the title is just chock full of technical language, but
    please bear with me :) I've been around computers for a while and
    consider myself to be at the "intermediate" level...or at least an
    "advanced novice".

    I just downloaded Firefox last night. It's a little different than IE,
    but I'm getting used to it and I think I'll really like it. However, in
    the bookmarks menu (the drop-down box at the top of the window), the
    bookmarks I imported from IE are changing their icons as I go to those
    web pages. I don't want them to change. I want the same, boring icon
    for every bookmark. Having a different icon for each bookmark makes the
    menu look cluttered and confusing.

    I've tried looking for a way to change the icon back to a "default"
    icon, but I can't find one. In IE all you had to do was right-click the
    bookmark, go into Properties, then Change Icon. Firefox apparently
    doesn't have that option.

    Is there a way to force the bookmarks to be represented by the same
    standard (or "default") icon? I saw something on the Firefox site about
    adding something to the Profiles folder, but I'm the ONLY person who
    uses this computer and I really don't want to set up a whole profile
    just for my own use.

    If it matters:
    Firefox 1.5.0.7
    Windows 98SE
    256Mb RAM
    Cable Internet connection
    I'm 41 years old, male, single, and enjoy long walks on the beach.

    "Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi; you're my only hope."

    Penguin must run. Have cookie will travel.
    -Chris

    penguin676, Sep 18, 2006

  2. penguin676 wrote:
    > Greetings;
    >
    > Yes, I know the title is just chock full of technical language, but
    > please bear with me :) I've been around computers for a while and
    > consider myself to be at the "intermediate" level...or at least an
    > "advanced novice".
    >
    > I just downloaded Firefox last night. It's a little different than IE,
    > but I'm getting used to it and I think I'll really like it. However, in
    > the bookmarks menu (the drop-down box at the top of the window), the
    > bookmarks I imported from IE are changing their icons as I go to those
    > web pages. I don't want them to change. I want the same, boring icon
    > for every bookmark. Having a different icon for each bookmark makes the
    > menu look cluttered and confusing.
    >
    > I've tried looking for a way to change the icon back to a "default"
    > icon, but I can't find one. In IE all you had to do was right-click the
    > bookmark, go into Properties, then Change Icon. Firefox apparently
    > doesn't have that option.
    >
    > Is there a way to force the bookmarks to be represented by the same
    > standard (or "default") icon? I saw something on the Firefox site about
    > adding something to the Profiles folder, but I'm the ONLY person who
    > uses this computer and I really don't want to set up a whole profile
    > just for my own use.
    >
    > If it matters:
    > Firefox 1.5.0.7
    > Windows 98SE
    > 256Mb RAM
    > Cable Internet connection
    > I'm 41 years old, male, single, and enjoy long walks on the beach.
    >
    > "Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi; you're my only hope."
    >
    > Penguin must run. Have cookie will travel.
    > -Chris

    You get a profile when you install Firefox. If there is only one user,
    there is only one profile. It is useful to be able to set up other
    profiles, if only for troubleshooting purposes.

    To address your problem, type about:config into the location bar.

    On the about:config page, in the Filter field, type favicons.

    You will get a pref, browser.chrome.favicons

    Right click on it, and toggle it to false. Close FF, and reopen. is it
    better?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Sep 18, 2006

  3. penguin676

    jgcrews

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    But I would like to do just the opposite - at least for my Bookmarks Toolbar. I WOULD like to be able to change the Bookmark Toolbar Icons. Is there any easy way to do this?

    Jeff

    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060909 Firefox/1.5.0.7

    jgcrews, Sep 29, 2006
  4. penguin676

    xperta

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    was surfing the internet to find the solution to the same problem...
    made an account here... just to reply back to @penguin676
    "advanced novice" mhuahahhaha wtf is that ???
    an advanced novie just moved from IE !!! LAME !!!

    xperta, Dec 3, 2010
  5. penguin676

    timtak

    Joined: