Change D70's Firmware to D100 Firmware???

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark Mestman, Aug 15, 2004.

  1. Mark Mestman

    Mark Mestman Guest

    Has anyone here heard a rumor that one can successfully change the
    D70's firmware over to the D100's firmware version, for the sake of
    improved features/performance in the D70?

    I just bought my D70 and I mostly love it...my first digital slr. My
    only reservation about the D70 is that when shooting with the built-in
    speedlight, I must change the white balance value all the way to -3,
    in order to get rid of the markedly blue cast the speedlight gives the
    images.

    I used the Coolpix 995 for three years before making the change to the
    D70, and found the 995 required the white balance to be tuned to -1,
    to get rid of the 995's blue cast in images shot with its built-in
    flash.

    Anyways, any ideas one the speedlight's blue color temperature, and/or
    on the rumor of such an arbitrary and radical firmware change??

    Thanks,

    Mark

    Mark Mestman, Aug 15, 2004

  2. Mark Mestman

    Tom Scales Guest

    I'm with you except the sensor. I thought the D70 and D100 had the same
    sensor.

    Tom Scales, Aug 16, 2004

  3. "Tom Scales" <> wrote in message
    > I'm with you except the sensor. I thought the D70 and D100 had the same
    > sensor.

    yes and no. d70 uses a "second-generation" revision of the sensor in d100.
    so the same sony 6mp sensor model, but refreshed design.

    --

    deejay

    Tomas Daniska, Aug 16, 2004
  4. "Tomas Daniska" <tomas@[REMOVETHIS].tronet.com> wrote in message
    > "Tom Scales" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm with you except the sensor. I thought the D70 and D100 had the same
    > > sensor.

    > yes and no. d70 uses a "second-generation" revision of the sensor in d100.
    > so the same sony 6mp sensor model, but refreshed design.

    There is a suggestion that it was a Nikon fabricated sensor. Nikon is making
    their own sensor for the D2H.

    Darrell Larose, Aug 16, 2004

  5. >> yes and no. d70 uses a "second-generation" revision of the sensor in
    >> d100.
    >> so the same sony 6mp sensor model, but refreshed design.
    >>

    > There is a suggestion that it was a Nikon fabricated sensor. Nikon is
    > making
    > their own sensor for the D2H.

    D2H: Nikon-developed LBCAST sensor. So yes, their own, or more likely
    "quasi-own" (manufactured according to Nikon design & specs) as I don't
    think Nikon owns a silicon-processing fab...

    D100: standard Sony 6MP CCD
    D70: same as above, but "2nd generation"

    --

    deejay

    Tomas Daniska, Aug 18, 2004