    I have photoimpact software with microtek scanmaker6000.
    Thanks
    Jerome

    JRYezierski, Mar 22, 2005

  2. JRYezierski

    bob Guest

    JRYezierski wrote:
    > Is there a way of determining what the color of something is from an old
    > black+white photo?

    No. But old B&W film was insensitive to red, so if the house is light
    colored you can eliminate red as a possibility.

    Bob

    bob, Mar 22, 2005

  3. JRYezierski

    Jim Guest

    "bob" <> wrote in message
    > JRYezierski wrote:
    > > Is there a way of determining what the color of something is from an old
    > > black+white photo?

    > No. But old B&W film was insensitive to red, so if the house is light
    > colored you can eliminate red as a possibility.

    Only if the film was really really old. Panchromatic film was widely
    available in the 30s. Most amateurs, however, used orthochromatic film
    because it was cheaper.
    The last Kodak orthochromatic film was discontinued in the 50s.
    Jim

    Jim, Mar 22, 2005
  4. JRYezierski

    meow Guest

    If the house is still standing, you might check with the new owners and take
    a paint scraping. I believe there are instructions on how to do it on the
    this old house site.

    meow, Mar 22, 2005
  5. JRYezierski

    Owamanga Guest

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:24:50 -0500, "JRYezierski" <>
    wrote:

    >Is there a way of determining what the color of something is from an old
    >black+white photo?
    >I have an old b+w of my grandparents house and I would like to know what the
    >original color was. They are deceased and no family member knows what the
    >color was.
    >
    >I have photoimpact software with microtek scanmaker6000.

    Check the EXIF data on the old photo. If it was tagged correctly it
    should have a description, something like:

    "Grampa Mojo's 'canary yellow with green twiddley bits' house."

    --
    Owamanga!
    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

    Owamanga, Mar 22, 2005
  6. JRYezierski

    Cynicor Guest

    "Owamanga" <owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:24:50 -0500, "JRYezierski" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Is there a way of determining what the color of something is from an old
    >>black+white photo?
    >>I have an old b+w of my grandparents house and I would like to know what
    >>the
    >>original color was. They are deceased and no family member knows what the
    >>color was.
    >>
    >>I have photoimpact software with microtek scanmaker6000.

    > Check the EXIF data on the old photo. If it was tagged correctly it
    > should have a description, something like:
    >
    > "Grampa Mojo's 'canary yellow with green twiddley bits' house."

    It's a trick. Everything actually was in black and white until about 1952,
    when it all turned to color.

    Cynicor, Mar 22, 2005
  7. JRYezierski

    Matt Ion Guest

    Cynicor wrote:
    > "Owamanga" <owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:24:50 -0500, "JRYezierski" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>Is there a way of determining what the color of something is from an old
    >>>black+white photo?
    >>>I have an old b+w of my grandparents house and I would like to know what
    >>>the
    >>>original color was. They are deceased and no family member knows what the
    >>>color was.
    >>>
    >>>I have photoimpact software with microtek scanmaker6000.

    >>Check the EXIF data on the old photo. If it was tagged correctly it
    >>should have a description, something like:
    >>
    >>"Grampa Mojo's 'canary yellow with green twiddley bits' house."

    > It's a trick. Everything actually was in black and white until about 1952,
    > when it all turned to color.

    Hey, you must be one of the two dozen people who saw "Pleasantville"!

    Matt Ion, Mar 22, 2005
  8. JRYezierski

    be_pissed Guest

    JRYezierski wrote:
    > Is there a way of determining what the color of something is from an old
    > black+white photo?
    > I have an old b+w of my grandparents house and I would like to know what the
    > original color was. They are deceased and no family member knows what the
    > color was.
    >
    > I have photoimpact software with microtek scanmaker6000.
    > Thanks
    > Jerome

    Mmm... here's a thought and something worth trying. Find a colour-blind
    person, maybe a few, and ask them what colour they think the house is.

    Worth a try as I have to "guess" a lot of colours most times ;-)

    be_pissed, Mar 22, 2005
  9. JRYezierski

    Hannah Guest

    > Is there a way of determining what the color of something is from an old
    > black+white photo?

    Have you considered asking a psychic?
    Is your question really serious, or are you just trolling?

    Hannah, Mar 22, 2005
  10. JRYezierski

    Chris D Guest

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:18:30 GMT
    Matt Ion <> wrote:

    > Hey, you must be one of the two dozen people who saw
    > "Pleasantville"!

    AAAaaarrrrgggg!

    Runs screaming from building, holding head, trying to forget the
    agony that was "pleasantville" in the cinemas...

    -Chris D

    Chris D, Mar 22, 2005
  11. JRYezierski

    Matt Ion Guest

    Chris D wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:18:30 GMT
    > Matt Ion <> wrote:
    >

    >>Hey, you must be one of the two dozen people who saw
    >>"Pleasantville"!

    > AAAaaarrrrgggg!
    >
    > Runs screaming from building, holding head, trying to forget the
    > agony that was "pleasantville" in the cinemas...

    Hey, it was a good way to tell if someone was a virgin or not: once they
    get laid, they appear in color! (Which doesn't explain the parents, but...)

    Matt Ion, Mar 23, 2005
  12. JRYezierski

    Owamanga Guest

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 00:47:18 GMT, Matt Ion <>
    wrote:

    >Chris D wrote:
    >> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:18:30 GMT
    >> Matt Ion <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hey, you must be one of the two dozen people who saw
    >>>"Pleasantville"!

    >> AAAaaarrrrgggg!
    >>
    >> Runs screaming from building, holding head, trying to forget the
    >> agony that was "pleasantville" in the cinemas...

    >Hey, it was a good way to tell if someone was a virgin or not: once they
    >get laid, they appear in color! (Which doesn't explain the parents, but...)

    You played that game, others played I-spy. I swear there were people
    in the back row trying to roast a chicken over candlelight, and one
    guy had constructed a scale model of Tokyo City entirely out of
    pop-corn and gum. A small group of children next to me had started a
    new religion, feverishly praying for the holy rolling credits, and my
    buddy was seriously considering settling down and starting a family
    with one of the cleaning staff.

    It was definitely the most tedious film I've seen in the last 10
    years. And one of only 2 lifetime 'walk-outs'. It was the worst 3
    weeks I've ever spent in a cinema.

    --
    Owamanga!
    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

    Owamanga, Mar 23, 2005
  13. JRYezierski

    Ron Guest

    Take some LSD and view your grandparents' house from a neighbor's roof.
    Fly around it a couple of times to see all sides and then take a guess.
    The other option is to go visit the neighborhood and ask some
    questions. I'd suggest the latter.

    Ron, Mar 23, 2005
  14. JRYezierski

    JRYezierski Guest

    Is there really any need to launch the insults?
    I thought this group would know if it was possible to change a photo from
    b+w to color.They have colorized old movies so I thought someone here would
    know how to change an old photo.

    I do thank the suggestion of getting a old paint chip and looking in the
    layers. This Old House site wasn't very easy to move around in for what I
    was looking for but thanks anyways.
    Having a color blind person look at it is an idea that may work.

    Asking neighbors wouldn't work as they are either dead or were not even born
    when this photo was taken,early 1900's.

    JRYezierski, Mar 23, 2005
  15. JRYezierski

    bob Guest

    JRYezierski wrote:
    > Is there really any need to launch the insults?
    > I thought this group would know if it was possible to change a photo from
    > b+w to color.They have colorized old movies so I thought someone here would
    > know how to change an old photo.

    We do know, and as I said, you can't tell the actual colors.

    When they colorize movies they just look at the pictures and pick
    whatever they think would look good. They click on one guy's suit and
    make it blue; they click on another guy's and make it red. Unless a
    color is referenced in the movie ("hey Mack, nice blue car") then then
    it doesn't really matter.

    > Asking neighbors wouldn't work as they are either dead or were not even born
    > when this photo was taken,early 1900's.

    In the early 1900s it was probably white.

    Bob

    bob, Mar 23, 2005
  16. JRYezierski

    Big Bill Guest

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:16:01 -0500, "JRYezierski" <>
    wrote:

    >Is there really any need to launch the insults?
    >I thought this group would know if it was possible to change a photo from
    >b+w to color.They have colorized old movies so I thought someone here would
    >know how to change an old photo.

    Usually, with colorized movies, one of two things happen...
    There could well be color stills taken that are used to determine what
    colors to use.
    They simply guess. Skin tones are usually a no-brainer, and clothes,
    if not described in the movie itself, don't matter. Inanimate objects
    take their clues from the movie, or are simply picked to look good.

    IMO, in your case, unless you can find an authority (liek a color pic
    or paint chip or someone who knows), you're pretty much out of luck.

    >I do thank the suggestion of getting a old paint chip and looking in the
    >layers. This Old House site wasn't very easy to move around in for what I
    >was looking for but thanks anyways.
    >Having a color blind person look at it is an idea that may work.
    >
    >Asking neighbors wouldn't work as they are either dead or were not even born
    >when this photo was taken,early 1900's.
    >
    >"Ron" <> wrote in message
    >> Take some LSD and view your grandparents' house from a neighbor's roof.
    >> Fly around it a couple of times to see all sides and then take a guess.
    >> The other option is to go visit the neighborhood and ask some
    >> questions. I'd suggest the latter.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Mar 23, 2005
  17. JRYezierski

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    JRYezierski wrote:

    > Is there really any need to launch the insults?
    > I thought this group would know if it was possible to change a photo from
    > b+w to color.They have colorized old movies so I thought someone here would
    > know how to change an old photo.
    >
    > I do thank the suggestion of getting a old paint chip and looking in the
    > layers. This Old House site wasn't very easy to move around in for what I
    > was looking for but thanks anyways.
    > Having a color blind person look at it is an idea that may work.
    >
    > Asking neighbors wouldn't work as they are either dead or were not even born
    > when this photo was taken,early 1900's.

    Hi...

    Couple more ideas, if I may?

    Don't know where you are (or they were) - but check with
    your country's equivalent of our Canadian land titles office.
    They *will* have records going back that far, and might be
    quite descriptive.

    Check with the area's tax offices, see what they have.

    If you know their faith, check with the nearest place of
    worship. Ask them if they could look through records
    surrounding important dates. (marriages, births, christenings,
    deaths, etc) The records may have "social niceties" included.

    If you know where they banked, or if they were in a small
    town, then check with the bank. Likelihood is that they
    had a mortgage, and if so there may be a pretty good description
    of the property.

    If you know what your Grandfather did for a living, then
    check with the most likely employer. They may still have
    records, and if he was a long term employee perhaps some
    social things included. Thinking of big promotion, retirement,
    etc.

    Check with one or two of the lawyers offices nearest the house.
    Possibility that one of them may have conveyed the property,
    and still have records.

    Google their address - see what shows up. And google close
    neighbors addresses. Perhaps something newsworthy happened
    sometime, and their may be stories available. Maybe detailed.

    Check with local newspaper(s). Search their records around
    important dates you know. This time also include engagements,
    job changes, illnesses - anything that might have created a
    story.

    And if all else fails; then colorize it yourself. To your
    tastes. You're his grandson, share the same dna, and
    undoubtedly think alike. So whatever you choose will be
    fine, and you can continue to build your memories on them :)

    If I think of more I'll let you know.

    Good luck, and take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Mar 23, 2005
  18. JRYezierski

    Larry Guest

    In article <Jlg0e.73962$%>, says...
    > > Asking neighbors wouldn't work as they are either dead or were not even born
    > > when this photo was taken,early 1900's.
    > >

    > In the early 1900s it was probably white.
    >
    > Bob

    I remember seeing something on the History Channel last year or the year
    before, and they mentioned the range of colors available to paint your home
    ro business from colonial times until the 20th century. Amazingly there were
    a lot of reds, browns, blues and yellows, but MOST of them were quite dark as
    compared to what we see today, and they faded and changed very rapidly.
    Whitewash and Calcimine paint (paint made from milk by-products) were the
    most popular way to treat a house from the mid 1800s till the mid 20th
    century.

    If the house appears light in color in the photo it is probably white or
    yellow, and yellow is not likely, it wasnt considered proper for a home in
    those days.

    Grey was popular, but only the Natural grey of weathered cedar shakes.

    Look closely at the photo, if there are Cedar Shakes on it it is PROBABLY a
    natural grey.

    In the early part of the 20th century cedar shakes were made from RED Cedar
    and were not painted.

    White Cedar shake only became popular much later when paint was available to
    cover them up, as they dont weather well like Red Cedar does, and will
    deteriorate and fall off without a good coat of high quality paint or stain.

    I hope some of this helps, it all comes from an old mans memories, and a
    remembered program on the History Channel.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Mar 23, 2005
  19. JRYezierski

    Bubbabob Guest

    bob <> wrote:

    > When they colorize movies they just look at the pictures and pick
    > whatever they think would look good. They click on one guy's suit and
    > make it blue; they click on another guy's and make it red. Unless a
    > color is referenced in the movie ("hey Mack, nice blue car") then then
    > it doesn't really matter.

    The very first Turner colorized abortion was an old Laurel & Hardy film in
    which the dunces at TCM decided to make Stan Laurel's hair brown when any
    old film buff would know that his hair was flaming red.

    Bubbabob, Mar 24, 2005
  20. JRYezierski

    steverino Guest

    What really annoyed ME was in "Yankee Doodle Dandy" when The 4 Cohans
    were doing a minstrel number.The background was colored, but the
    performers remained BLACK AND WHITE!

    steverino, Mar 28, 2005