Challenge/Response?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by (PeteCresswell), Mar 30, 2011.

  1. Finally stumbled on to comp.dcom.telecom and now realize that
    telemarketer calls are here to stay.

    In that context, does anybody know of a VOIP provider that offers
    a challenge/response service?

    e.g.
    - Somebody calls my phone number

    - A voice from the VOIP provider says
    "Please enter the two-digit code. If
    you do not know the code and still want
    to call, please send an email to
    ."

    - If the caller knows to key "11",
    and does so within a timeout period,
    the call goes through and my phone
    rings, otherwise the caller is just
    cut off.

    - If the caller sends me an email and
    it looks plausible, I send them
    a code from a list of codes I have
    defined. If I send a code to the
    wrong person, I just delete the code.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Mar 30, 2011

  2. (PeteCresswell)

    D. Stussy Guest

    "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote in message
    > Finally stumbled on to comp.dcom.telecom and now realize that
    > telemarketer calls are here to stay.
    >
    > In that context, does anybody know of a VOIP provider that offers
    > a challenge/response service?
    >
    > e.g.
    > - Somebody calls my phone number
    >
    > - A voice from the VOIP provider says
    > "Please enter the two-digit code. If
    > you do not know the code and still want
    > to call, please send an email to
    > ."
    >
    > - If the caller knows to key "11",
    > and does so within a timeout period,
    > the call goes through and my phone
    > rings, otherwise the caller is just
    > cut off.
    >
    > - If the caller sends me an email and
    > it looks plausible, I send them
    > a code from a list of codes I have
    > defined. If I send a code to the
    > wrong person, I just delete the code.

    Since that didn't work with e-mail, what makes you tink it will work with
    VOIP?
    D. Stussy, Mar 30, 2011

  3. (PeteCresswell)

    alexd Guest

    Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings,
    (PeteCresswell) chose the tried and tested strategy of:

    > In that context, does anybody know of a VOIP provider that offers
    > a challenge/response service?
    >
    > e.g.
    > - Somebody calls my phone number
    >
    > - A voice from the VOIP provider says
    > "Please enter the two-digit code. If
    > you do not know the code and still want
    > to call, please send an email to
    > ."

    Would have thought any "hosted PBX" type service would be able to do this.
    What you've just described is a standard IVR, with one small catch: two
    digit menus. I know you could DIY with Asterisk but you may find that even
    services based on it won't let you choose 2-digit menu entries.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    21:02:29 up 3 days, 9:16, 6 users, load average: 0.06, 0.07, 0.07
    alexd, Mar 30, 2011
  4. Per alexd:
    >Would have thought any "hosted PBX" type service would be able to do this.
    >What you've just described is a standard IVR, with one small catch: two
    >digit menus. I know you could DIY with Asterisk but you may find that even
    >services based on it won't let you choose 2-digit menu entries.

    Two digits is just what I came up with when writing the post.

    Upon reflection, I'd say four digits bc that seems to be a common
    length for extensions. Then the message could say "Please enter
    the extension of the person you are calling...."
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Mar 30, 2011
  5. Per D. Stussy:
    >Since that didn't work with e-mail, what makes you tink it will work with
    >VOIP?

    It seems to work for the people I correspond with that use
    Earthlink - or am I just wishing?

    What is the argument for it not working with email?
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Mar 30, 2011
  6. (PeteCresswell)

    > Per D. Stussy:
    > >Since that didn't work with e-mail, what makes you think it will work

    with
    > >VOIP?

    > It seems to work for the people I correspond with that use
    > Earthlink - or am I just wishing?
    >
    > What is the argument for it not working with email?

    You're wishing. You're probably getting less than half of your true,
    non-spam email.

    For the E-mail challenge to be useful, it must quote some part of the
    original message under challenge. That can be used to spam third parties.
    The spammer creates the mail to the C/R system listing his desired target
    as the forged sender, and when the C/R system challenges, its challenge
    message delivers the spam payload to the spammer's target. This is why
    most if not all spam detection systems classify challenges from C/R systems
    AS spam.

    All this was said on "comp.mail.misc" in 2003.
    D. Stussy, Mar 30, 2011
  7. In message <>,
    "(PeteCresswell)" <> writes
    >Finally stumbled on to comp.dcom.telecom and now realize that
    >telemarketer calls are here to stay.
    >
    >In that context, does anybody know of a VOIP provider that offers
    >a challenge/response service?
    >
    >e.g.
    >- Somebody calls my phone number
    >
    >- A voice from the VOIP provider says
    > "Please enter the two-digit code. If
    > you do not know the code and still want
    > to call, please send an email to
    > ."
    >
    >- If the caller knows to key "11",
    > and does so within a timeout period,
    > the call goes through and my phone
    > rings, otherwise the caller is just
    > cut off.
    >
    >- If the caller sends me an email and
    > it looks plausible, I send them
    > a code from a list of codes I have
    > defined. If I send a code to the
    > wrong person, I just delete the code.

    Jeez! Just don't answer the damn thing and let it go to voicemail,
    then call them back if you want.

    If I were a friend, employer, supplier, customer etc. I'd soon find
    someone else to be friends with or to do business with. It would really
    piss me off having yet another 'password' to remember and that just for
    the 'privilege' of speaking to you. Who do you think you are?
    Malcolm Loades, Mar 31, 2011
  8. (PeteCresswell)

    R White Guest

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 10:12:36 -0400, (PeteCresswell) scribe:

    > Finally stumbled on to comp.dcom.telecom and now realize that
    > telemarketer calls are here to stay.
    >
    > In that context, does anybody know of a VOIP provider that offers a
    > challenge/response service?
    >
    > e.g.
    > - Somebody calls my phone number
    >
    > - A voice from the VOIP provider says
    > "Please enter the two-digit code. If you do not know the code and
    > still want to call, please send an email to
    > ."
    >
    > - If the caller knows to key "11",
    > and does so within a timeout period,
    > the call goes through and my phone
    > rings, otherwise the caller is just
    > cut off.
    >
    > - If the caller sends me an email and
    > it looks plausible, I send them
    > a code from a list of codes I have
    > defined. If I send a code to the
    > wrong person, I just delete the code.

    It would be trivially easy to do this with your own Asterisk server - but
    I don't know of an ITSP that offers it the way you speak of out of the
    box.
    R White, Mar 31, 2011
  9. "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote in message
    > Finally stumbled on to comp.dcom.telecom and now realize that
    > telemarketer calls are here to stay.
    >
    > In that context, does anybody know of a VOIP provider that offers
    > a challenge/response service?

    What is wrong with the Telephone Protection Service?
    http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/
    I have my VoIP lines registered, and never get telemarketing calls.
    Harry Stottle, Mar 31, 2011
  10. Per Malcolm Loades:
    >Jeez! Just don't answer the damn thing and let it go to voicemail,
    >then call them back if you want.

    - This is a cell phone and each incoming call - even to voicemail
    costs .34.

    - Reviewing voice mails takes man hours.

    - As volume increases, then the voicemail que becomes laden with
    spam voice mails and eventually signal-to-noise gets to the
    hand.

    >If I were a friend, employer, supplier, customer etc. I'd soon find
    >someone else to be friends with or to do business with.

    100% agreement. I'm just trying to figure out *some* workaround
    as telemarketing calls increase. Right now, my cell phone is
    getting more telemarketing calls than legitimate calls. It
    isn't there yet, but it's becoming useless as a practical matter
    is definitely on the horizon as the frequency of telemarketing
    calls increases.

    But I stopped obsessing about it this morning when I read this
    article: http://tinyurl.com/qhvwrr

    That was the best news I've heard in a long time.

    If the rich and powerful are getting irritated, then a solution
    is on the way just as sure as the sun rises in the morning.

    My money is on a solution within a couple of years max.

    Hopefully it won't involve something that the rich and powerful
    can afford and the rest of us cannot.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Mar 31, 2011
  11. Per Harry Stottle:
    >What is wrong with the Telephone Protection Service?
    >http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/
    >I have my VoIP lines registered, and never get telemarketing calls.

    Wait awhile.

    I am in the USA where the analog is the "Do-Not-Call List".

    A year ago my experience was the same as yours. I even got a
    check for a few dollars once as my part of the settlement in a
    suit brought by the government against one of the offenders.

    But telemarketers are going offshore and using VOIP and Skype to
    spoof CallerID and make untraceable calls.

    All I'm getting now in response to filing complaints are lame
    letters explaining that there's nothing they can do bco the
    abovementioned trend.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Mar 31, 2011
  12. On 31/3/11 16:27, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > Per Malcolm Loades:
    >> Jeez! Just don't answer the damn thing and let it go to voicemail,
    >> then call them back if you want.

    > - This is a cell phone and each incoming call - even to voicemail
    > costs .34.
    >
    > - Reviewing voice mails takes man hours.
    >
    > - As volume increases, then the voicemail que becomes laden with
    > spam voice mails and eventually signal-to-noise gets to the
    > hand.
    >
    >> If I were a friend, employer, supplier, customer etc. I'd soon find
    >> someone else to be friends with or to do business with.

    > 100% agreement. I'm just trying to figure out *some* workaround
    > as telemarketing calls increase. Right now, my cell phone is
    > getting more telemarketing calls than legitimate calls. It
    > isn't there yet, but it's becoming useless as a practical matter
    > is definitely on the horizon as the frequency of telemarketing
    > calls increases.

    How about maintaining a callerid whitelist, and all calls that aren't in
    the whitelist get forwarded to either voicemail, or a recorded message
    inviting the caller to email you.

    This would be very simple in asterisk (can be done with dialplan logic),
    although I don't know any providers that have a similar system.
    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 31, 2011
  13. Per Thomas Kenyon:
    >How about maintaining a callerid whitelist, and all calls that aren't in
    >the whitelist get forwarded to either voicemail, or a recorded message
    >inviting the caller to email you.

    That was my kneejerk reaction. But it seems like a white list
    isn't part of the functionality of most cell phones.

    The ghetto white list seems tb adding numbers to the phone's
    directory and giving them names like "Junknn" or just "Xn".

    But the voicemail problem remains: these guys leave voice
    messages that have tb reviewed/deleted or legitimate voice mails
    get lost in the noise.

    All moot IMHO now that I know Members Of Congress are being
    inconvenienced too.... that being the case, there's sure tb
    meaningful action in the near future and I'm going to just lay
    back and wait.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Mar 31, 2011
  14. (PeteCresswell)

    News Reader Guest

    > Finally stumbled on to comp.dcom.telecom and now realize that
    > telemarketer calls are here to stay.
    >
    > In that context, does anybody know of a VOIP provider that offers
    > a challenge/response service?
    >
    > e.g.
    > - Somebody calls my phone number
    >
    > - A voice from the VOIP provider says
    > "Please enter the two-digit code. If
    > you do not know the code and still want
    > to call, please send an email to
    > ."
    >
    > - If the caller knows to key "11",
    > and does so within a timeout period,
    > the call goes through and my phone
    > rings, otherwise the caller is just
    > cut off.
    >
    > - If the caller sends me an email and
    > it looks plausible, I send them
    > a code from a list of codes I have
    > defined. If I send a code to the
    > wrong person, I just delete the code.
    > --
    > PeteCresswell

    Hi,

    Their are several ways something to this effect could be relatively simply
    implemented.

    - Blind Menu and (Blind) Sub-Menu - i.e. doesn't have to authorise a
    code, can just be unknown menu options or more specifically menu option
    sequence(s) (e.g. "code 11" would be menu option 1, followed by menu option
    1, puts you through, etc.)

    - Conference Bridge - a code protected, free (private) conference room
    could be used in various configurations, formats or guises, etc.

    - An Introduction / Pre-Transfer Message - for example simply recording
    an "alternate or alternative" message will lead anyone unaware or
    uninitiated to conclude they have the wrong (an automated) system or will
    need to give relevant credentials to proceed, whereas your solicited callers
    will have been advised to simply hold for an extra, 30 seconds (or push any
    key to proceed - your choice of how you configure the system), etc. (this
    should filter 80% of your calls if done correctly). I.go.
    + "Thank you for calling. For caller identification and purpose
    confirmation, please state (or confirm) first your (authorised) name after
    the beep, then after the second beep please confirm (state your authorised
    purpose for calling). Your inputs will then be verified and you will be
    disconnected or connected to the relevant party accordingly".
    + More simply, something like "Hi and Thanks for calling" (in a very
    salesman type voice), "you have been placed in a queue to be connected to
    one of our operators". "Please hold" (possibly with border line totally
    intolerable music and periodically repeating message - keep the message to a
    mere 5 or more [hundred] minutes long (your solicited callers know to press
    a key [to be connected]).
    + Etc., etc., your own variations here - e.g. "Please enter your
    authorised staff ID now. Beep"., etc. (possibly add after a pause "sorry
    your input has not been recognised. Try again. [Repeat message. Beep]." or
    "sorry you are not an authorised user / your staff ID is not valid, not
    recognised, not authorised", etc.
    + Please enter the extension you require. ([Optionally]Pause...
    [Optionally] Sorry... that is not a valid extension)
    + (?Gleefully, joyfully or excitedly?) "Sorry, are offices are now
    closed. Please try again tomorrow." (Loud screeching tone)
    + (Second) Ringing Tone, Busy Tone
    + Hi! This is Mary. I am sorry I cannot take your call but please
    leave a message after the tone. Beep. (Generic standard type "pretend"
    answerphone / voicemail greeting or message). (Pause).
    + Please enter your food order codes. Beep. (Pause)
    + This is an AUTOMATED system. Blah blah.
    + If you need an operator, dial 123-123-1234 (provide a genuine
    telephone [network] operator number), if you need sales dial 123-123-1235,
    etc., etc. (potentially provide an invalid or out of service number for
    other entries). Repeat message several times, etc.
    + This number does not accept incoming calls. (Optionally: [If you
    are an authorised / permitted / requested / expected caller] Please enter
    your number after the tone and the system will (usually) call you back
    (usually within two months).

    - Call Transfer / Forwarding System - As (others / you previously
    suggested), 4 digit extension code.

    Various services offer these facilities for free, and / or integrated with
    their (free) service(s).

    Best wishes,

    News Reader
    News Reader, Mar 31, 2011
  15. (PeteCresswell)

    News Reader Guest

    "News Reader" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > answerphone / voicemail greeting or message). (Pause).
    > + Please enter your food order codes. Beep. (Pause)
    > + This is an AUTOMATED system. Blah blah.
    > + If you need an operator, dial 123-123-1234 (provide a genuine
    > telephone [network] operator number), if you need sales dial 123-123-1235,
    > etc., etc. (potentially provide an invalid or out of service number for
    > other entries). Repeat message several times, etc.
    > + This number does not accept incoming calls. (Optionally: [If you
    > are an authorised / permitted / requested / expected caller] Please enter
    > your number after the tone and the system will (usually) call you back
    > (usually within two months).
    >
    > - Call Transfer / Forwarding System - As (others / you previously
    > suggested), 4 digit extension code.
    >
    > Various services offer these facilities for free, and / or integrated with

    P.s. Google Voice (http://google.com/voice) for example (free and offers a
    wealth of [cell] mobile number integration options) provides:

    "
    a.. Define which phones ring, based on who's calling, and even ListenInTM on
    voicemail before answering the call. We use smart technology to route your
    calls. So, if you're already on a Google Voice call, we'll recognize it and
    use call waiting to reach you on the phone you're on.
    "

    Best wishes,

    News Reader
    News Reader, Mar 31, 2011
  16. "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote:
    > Per Thomas Kenyon:
    > >How about maintaining a callerid whitelist, and all calls that aren't in
    > >the whitelist get forwarded to either voicemail, or a recorded message
    > >inviting the caller to email you.

    > That was my kneejerk reaction. But it seems like a white list
    > isn't part of the functionality of most cell phones.

    You can change the ringtones so give a distinctive ringtone to people in
    your contacts list, and then a different tone (silent maybe) to people not
    on it. That allows you to still check incoming calls that aren't recognised
    before ignoring them.

    > But the voicemail problem remains: these guys leave voice
    > messages that have tb reviewed/deleted or legitimate voice mails
    > get lost in the noise.

    I wonder if phones can choose to divert or not based on CLID?

    > All moot IMHO now that I know Members Of Congress are being
    > inconvenienced too.... that being the case, there's sure tb
    > meaningful action in the near future and I'm going to just lay
    > back and wait.

    Do US folks pay for incoming calls diverted to voicemail? I can see why you
    might not like that.

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Mar 31, 2011
  17. (PeteCresswell)

    D. Stussy Guest

    "Theo Markettos" <> wrote in message
    > "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote:
    > > Per Thomas Kenyon:
    > > >How about maintaining a callerid whitelist, and all calls that aren't

    in
    > > >the whitelist get forwarded to either voicemail, or a recorded message
    > > >inviting the caller to email you.

    > > That was my kneejerk reaction. But it seems like a white list
    > > isn't part of the functionality of most cell phones.

    > You can change the ringtones so give a distinctive ringtone to people in
    > your contacts list, and then a different tone (silent maybe) to people

    not
    > on it. That allows you to still check incoming calls that aren't

    recognised
    > before ignoring them.
    >
    > > But the voicemail problem remains: these guys leave voice
    > > messages that have tb reviewed/deleted or legitimate voice mails
    > > get lost in the noise.

    > I wonder if phones can choose to divert or not based on CLID?
    >
    > > All moot IMHO now that I know Members Of Congress are being
    > > inconvenienced too.... that being the case, there's sure tb
    > > meaningful action in the near future and I'm going to just lay
    > > back and wait.

    > Do US folks pay for incoming calls diverted to voicemail? I can see why

    you
    > might not like that.

    No, we don't - because such a diversion does not yield use of airtime.

    We also have a federal "do not call" list and laws that say that
    telemarketers are supposed to respect the list else get fined. Some of our
    states had also passed similar laws and had similar lists prior to the
    federal list taking precedence.
    D. Stussy, Mar 31, 2011
  18. (PeteCresswell)

    Graham. Guest

    "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Per Thomas Kenyon:
    >>How about maintaining a callerid whitelist, and all calls that aren't in
    >>the whitelist get forwarded to either voicemail, or a recorded message
    >>inviting the caller to email you.

    > That was my kneejerk reaction. But it seems like a white list
    > isn't part of the functionality of most cell phones.
    >
    > The ghetto white list seems tb adding numbers to the phone's
    > directory and giving them names like "Junknn" or just "Xn".
    >
    > But the voicemail problem remains: these guys leave voice
    > messages that have tb reviewed/deleted or legitimate voice mails
    > get lost in the noise.
    >
    > All moot IMHO now that I know Members Of Congress are being
    > inconvenienced too.... that being the case, there's sure tb
    > meaningful action in the near future and I'm going to just lay
    > back and wait.
    > --
    > PeteCresswell

    Perhaps you need to lobby your Congressman as to why the US and Canada
    have to have a different cellphone charging model from (almost) the rest of the world.

    Everywhere else inbound calls are free, (unless the handset is roaming outside its home country), and the party calling the
    cellphone paysa higher rate than for a landline calls. Cellphones have special non-geographic area codes so the caller knows the
    score.

    In the UK, telemarketing calls to mobile phones is not perceived as a great problem
    because of the cost to the caller. I can't recall ever getting one, my landline gets
    an average of two each weekday.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Mar 31, 2011
  19. Per D. Stussy:

    >No, we don't - because such a diversion does not yield use of airtime.

    But, in the end, we pay bc we have to check/review/purge
    voicemail and, unless one uses a land line to do that minutes get
    charged - unless I'm missing something and calls to retrieve
    voice mail are not chargeable minutes.

    >We also have a federal "do not call" list and laws that say that
    >telemarketers are supposed to respect the list else get fined. Some of our
    >states had also passed similar laws and had similar lists prior to the
    >federal list taking precedence.

    From what I've read so far, those lists have become obsolete in
    light of offshore telemarketers using VOIP and Skype - and,
    according to letters I get from the Penna Attorney General's
    office in response to complaints, relaying calls multiple times
    before they get to the target.

    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Mar 31, 2011
  20. Per Graham.:
    >Perhaps you need to lobby your Congressman as to why the US and Canada
    >have to have a different cellphone charging model from (almost) the rest of the world.
    >
    >Everywhere else inbound calls are free, (unless the handset is roaming outside its home country), and the party calling the
    >cellphone paysa higher rate than for a landline calls.

    Good catch!.... that's the first new idea I've heard in awhile.

    I wonder, though, how popular it would be with cell phone users
    who perceive a major benefit of their phones tb making them more
    available to the people they serve.

    I definitely think twice before calling cell phones of my
    relatives in UK and DE bco that feature.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Mar 31, 2011