Chalk another one up

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by DeMoN LaG, Dec 2, 2003.

  1. DeMoN LaG

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    The 3rd Maxtor 80 GB drive in 2 years just died yesterday. I did a routine
    chkdsk on it Friday night, which found zero errors and 0 KB of bad sectors.
    Sunday night, I can't listen to music and I look at the machine and it has
    filled the entire system log with "Device <whatever> has a bad block". I
    began a chkdsk /x on the drive at 3:25 AM Monday morning, and I finally
    cancelled the chkdsk at 8:30 Monday night, with it not even 40% done yet.
    It's gotta be just a bad product line, or at the very least, a bad product
    line for a drive that is in use 18 hours a day. It's now out of warranty,
    but that's fine with me, it's getting replaced with a 120GB WD Special
    Edition drive with a nice nifty 3 year warranty (extended to 4 for $5 at
    newegg.com).

    Last two dead drives and I lost a few hundred megabytes of stuff because
    the drives gracefully (ie, slowly) failed. This time, the entire drive
    died at once, so I'm out 40 GB of music... Gonna be a lot of ripping this
    week...

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Dec 2, 2003

  2. DeMoN LaG

    Adam Steiner Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > The 3rd Maxtor 80 GB drive in 2 years just died yesterday. I did a

    routine
    > chkdsk on it Friday night, which found zero errors and 0 KB of bad

    sectors.
    > Sunday night, I can't listen to music and I look at the machine and it has
    > filled the entire system log with "Device <whatever> has a bad block". I
    > began a chkdsk /x on the drive at 3:25 AM Monday morning, and I finally
    > cancelled the chkdsk at 8:30 Monday night, with it not even 40% done yet.
    > It's gotta be just a bad product line, or at the very least, a bad product
    > line for a drive that is in use 18 hours a day. It's now out of warranty,
    > but that's fine with me, it's getting replaced with a 120GB WD Special
    > Edition drive with a nice nifty 3 year warranty (extended to 4 for $5 at
    > newegg.com).
    >
    > Last two dead drives and I lost a few hundred megabytes of stuff because
    > the drives gracefully (ie, slowly) failed. This time, the entire drive
    > died at once, so I'm out 40 GB of music... Gonna be a lot of ripping this
    > week...

    Sorry to hear. I don't think you'll go wrong with the WD's...I'm running
    two, pretty much 24/7 and they haven't given me a problem. My 200GB has
    been in for 5-6 months and my 120 for 9 months or so.
    Adam Steiner, Dec 2, 2003

  3. DeMoN LaG

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Adam Steiner" <> wrote in

    > Sorry to hear. I don't think you'll go wrong with the WD's...I'm running
    > two, pretty much 24/7 and they haven't given me a problem. My 200GB has
    > been in for 5-6 months and my 120 for 9 months or so.

    As a backup, I threw in four 23 gig Seagate SCSI drives in a RAID0 array.
    These things are heavy duty, I think I could run them 24x7 for the next 15
    years and not have a problem with them. They sound like a plane taking off
    when the spin up. It's just unfortunate that they are so big and bulky
    that I can't find enough space to put the rest of the lot I have out yet.

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 2, 2003
  4. DeMoN LaG

    > "Adam Steiner" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Sorry to hear. I don't think you'll go wrong with the WD's...I'm

    running
    > > two, pretty much 24/7 and they haven't given me a problem. My 200GB has
    > > been in for 5-6 months and my 120 for 9 months or so.

    > As a backup, I threw in four 23 gig Seagate SCSI drives in a RAID0 array.
    > These things are heavy duty, I think I could run them 24x7 for the next 15
    > years and not have a problem with them. They sound like a plane taking

    off
    > when the spin up. It's just unfortunate that they are so big and bulky
    > that I can't find enough space to put the rest of the lot I have out yet.
    >
    > --

    I thought you had a whole big plan for that lot you bought, case, space and
    all? What happend, they take up more space than expected?
    Adam Steiner, Dec 2, 2003
  5. DeMoN LaG

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Adam Steiner" <> wrote in

    > I thought you had a whole big plan for that lot you bought, case,
    > space and all? What happend, they take up more space than expected?

    They take up just as much space as I expected, but it is space I just do
    not have available right now. Well, the space is there, but I don't want
    to drop 10 drives on the carpeting. My plan involves building a cage to
    hold them, but that does require the time and money to do it which I don't
    have yet. Everything is still going according to my plan, though

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 2, 2003
  6. DeMoN LaG

    > "Adam Steiner" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I thought you had a whole big plan for that lot you bought, case,
    > > space and all? What happend, they take up more space than expected?
    > >

    > They take up just as much space as I expected, but it is space I just do
    > not have available right now. Well, the space is there, but I don't want
    > to drop 10 drives on the carpeting. My plan involves building a cage to
    > hold them, but that does require the time and money to do it which I don't
    > have yet. Everything is still going according to my plan, though

    Ah. Well good luck.
    Adam Steiner, Dec 2, 2003