Chairman stepping back

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by BrianM, Jun 16, 2006.

  1. BrianM

    BrianM Guest

    BrianM, Jun 16, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. BrianM

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "BrianM" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > Sorry Bill but you can't buy respect no matter how much money
    > you give away.
    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3702699a10,00.html
    > --
    > BrianM


    Very true...

    but then buying respect from idiots is hardly going to be an option.
    Sensible people will respect Gates without needing to be paid for it.

    I don't have a problem with him wanting to help others. Just how much help
    could you offer to anyone let alone thousands of people?

    E. Scrooge
     
    E. Scrooge, Jun 16, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. wogers nemesis, Jun 16, 2006
    #3
  4. On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 04:34:07 +0000, someone purporting to be BrianM didst
    scrawl:

    > Sorry Bill but you can't buy respect no matter how much money
    > you give away.
    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3702699a10,00.html


    I'm hardly an ardent supporter of Microsoft, but I do respect Bill for his
    charitable work. Sure he's got oodles more money to do it with than anyone
    else, but that doesn't mean he's less-deserving of recognition of his good
    intentions, especially since he's spending oodles more money than anyone
    else.
    The B&MGF has an endowment of something utterly insane, I think it's
    USD29b, and that all came from Bill as far as I'm aware. That is a
    not-insignificant donation even from arguably the world's richest man.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."
     
    Matthew Poole, Jun 16, 2006
    #4
  5. BrianM

    Crash Guest

    BrianM wrote:
    > Sorry Bill but you can't buy respect no matter how much money
    > you give away.
    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3702699a10,00.html


    Brian, its a bit of a joke to say Bill Gates needs to buy respect.

    In moving to the B&M Gates Charitable Foundation he may simply be looking for
    something else to do that is a world away from MS. I could certainly identify
    with that.

    Crash.
     
    Crash, Jun 16, 2006
    #5
  6. BrianM

    BrianM Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 18:46:16 +1000, Crash wrote:

    > BrianM wrote:
    >> Sorry Bill but you can't buy respect no matter how much money you give
    >> away.
    >> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3702699a10,00.html

    >
    > Brian, its a bit of a joke to say Bill Gates needs to buy respect.
    >
    > In moving to the B&M Gates Charitable Foundation he may simply be
    > looking for something else to do that is a world away from MS. I could
    > certainly identify with that.
    >
    > Crash.


    More tongue in cheek than joke.

    cheers
    --
    BrianM
     
    BrianM, Jun 16, 2006
    #6
  7. BrianM

    BrianM Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 16:37:00 +1000, Matthew Poole wrote:

    > On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 04:34:07 +0000, someone purporting to be BrianM
    > didst scrawl:
    >
    >> Sorry Bill but you can't buy respect no matter how much money you give
    >> away.
    >> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3702699a10,00.html

    >
    > I'm hardly an ardent supporter of Microsoft, but I do respect Bill for
    > his charitable work. Sure he's got oodles more money to do it with than
    > anyone else, but that doesn't mean he's less-deserving of recognition of
    > his good intentions, especially since he's spending oodles more money
    > than anyone else.
    > The B&MGF has an endowment of something utterly insane, I think it's
    > USD29b, and that all came from Bill as far as I'm aware. That is a
    > not-insignificant donation even from arguably the world's richest man.


    It might be your money !.

    cheers
    --
    BrianM
     
    BrianM, Jun 16, 2006
    #7
  8. BrianM

    BrianM Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 16:18:06 +1000, E. Scrooge wrote:


    > "BrianM" <> wrote in message
    > news:p...
    >> Sorry Bill but you can't buy respect no matter how much money you give
    >> away.
    >> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3702699a10,00.html -- BrianM

    >
    > Very true...
    >
    > but then buying respect from idiots is hardly going to be an option.
    > Sensible people will respect Gates without needing to be paid for it.
    >
    > I don't have a problem with him wanting to help others. Just how much
    > help could you offer to anyone let alone thousands of people?
    >
    > E. Scrooge


    I have my own ongoing charities Scroogies - the amount doesn't matter.

    cheers
    --
    Brian
     
    BrianM, Jun 16, 2006
    #8
  9. On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 09:27:53 +0000, someone purporting to be BrianM didst
    scrawl:

    > On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 16:37:00 +1000, Matthew Poole wrote:

    *SNIP*
    > It might be your money !.
    >

    If he's still got some of the $190 I paid for NT4 back in '97, or the
    small contributions that came from the MS tax on the two laptops I've
    bought in the last five years, I have no objection to it going to a
    charitable foundation.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."
     
    Matthew Poole, Jun 16, 2006
    #9
  10. T'was the Fri, 16 Jun 2006 09:29:47 GMT when I remembered BrianM
    <> saying something like this:

    >I have my own ongoing charities Scroogies - the amount doesn't matter.


    Still, giving $28.8 billion to their foundation to give out is no
    small change. $3.6 billion to world health, surely that's more than
    what New Zealand's given in recent times.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
     
    Waylon Kenning, Jun 16, 2006
    #10
  11. BrianM

    Adam Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 18:37:00 +1200, Matthew Poole wrote:

    >On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 04:34:07 +0000, someone purporting to be BrianM didst
    >scrawl:
    >
    >> Sorry Bill but you can't buy respect no matter how much money
    >> you give away.
    >> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3702699a10,00.html

    >
    >I'm hardly an ardent supporter of Microsoft, but I do respect Bill for his
    >charitable work. Sure he's got oodles more money to do it with than anyone
    >else, but that doesn't mean he's less-deserving of recognition of his good
    >intentions, especially since he's spending oodles more money than anyone
    >else.
    >The B&MGF has an endowment of something utterly insane, I think it's
    >USD29b, and that all came from Bill as far as I'm aware. That is a
    >not-insignificant donation even from arguably the world's richest man.


    Same here - I've never been a great fan of BG - or the Microsoft way
    of doing business ... but I did see an interview with him once on TV
    where he said that his aim was basically to give it ALL away. His
    children were to have their education paid for and that was it -
    nothing (much) to inherit.

    Thing is - I ended up actually believing him. Since that interview (a
    few years ago), he does seem to be genuinely moving in that direction.

    However - I'd be more impressed if he simply made Windows free ;-)

    Adam.
     
    Adam, Jun 16, 2006
    #11
  12. BrianM

    Peter Guest

    BrianM wrote:
    > Sorry Bill but you can't buy respect no matter how much money
    > you give away.
    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3702699a10,00.html


    Such generosity would surely be worthy of respect, if it were not from
    illgotten gains. MS rips off customers worldwide, as evidenced by their
    enormous profit margin. Also, MS has been found guilty of unlawful abuse
    of monopoly powers, which they still continue to use to stifle innovation,
    shut out competition and rip off the general public. MS sucks $millions
    out of NZ every year.

    If someone stole a million dollars, then gave away half to a charity, would
    that absolve them of the crime? I don't think so.


    Peter
     
    Peter, Jun 16, 2006
    #12
  13. On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 01:04:09 +1200, Adam wrote:

    > However - I'd be more impressed if he simply made Windows free ;-)


    That will never happen - he's too much of an arsehole for that.

    Why else would he give all his money away rather than leave it to his
    children?


    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    1/ Migration to Linux only costs money once. Higher Windows TCO is forever.
    2/ "Shared source" is a poison pill. Open Source is freedom.
    3/ Only the Windows boxes get the worms.
     
    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Jun 16, 2006
    #13
  14. BrianM

    Rebel Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 01:04:09 +1200, Adam wrote:
    >
    >> However - I'd be more impressed if he simply made Windows free ;-)

    >
    > That will never happen - he's too much of an arsehole for that.


    You really are an idiot aren't you. Think before you write, if he made
    Microsoft Windows free then how would all those people employed to write it
    and look after it get paid, what a twit.


    >
    > Why else would he give all his money away rather than leave it to his
    > children?


    What makes you come to that conclusion, he has given his kids all any
    parent should need to, ie a good education which he paid for.
     
    Rebel, Jun 16, 2006
    #14
  15. BrianM

    a_l_p Guest

    Rebel wrote:
    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >
    >
    >>On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 01:04:09 +1200, Adam wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>However - I'd be more impressed if he simply made Windows free ;-)

    >>
    >>That will never happen - he's too much of an arsehole for that.

    >
    >
    > You really are an idiot aren't you. Think before you write, if he made
    > Microsoft Windows free then how would all those people employed to write it
    > and look after it get paid, what a twit.
    >
    >
    >
    >>Why else would he give all his money away rather than leave it to his
    >>children?

    >
    >
    > What makes you come to that conclusion, he has given his kids all any
    > parent should need to, ie a good education which he paid for.


    Another thing - it's his money. His money, his choice. Your money, your
    choice, leave it to your family or the Cockroach Protection Association or
    whatever you like.. Fair enough?

    And he may have seen what happens to children who are over-rich. His kids
    aren't going to be scratching for a cup of lentils to see them through the week
    but he probably hopes they'll have enough to be well off and not enough to be
    drained of initiative.

    A L P
     
    a_l_p, Jun 16, 2006
    #15
  16. On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 08:56:36 +1200, someone purporting to be Have A Nice
    Cup of Tea didst scrawl:

    > On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 01:04:09 +1200, Adam wrote:
    >
    >> However - I'd be more impressed if he simply made Windows free ;-)

    >
    > That will never happen - he's too much of an arsehole for that.
    >
    > Why else would he give all his money away rather than leave it to his
    > children?
    >

    He's going to give his kids the best education money can buy, and a
    (relatively) small trust fund, and send them on their way. I would call
    that a very generous gift, actually, since it means that they know they
    have to make their own way instead of riding on daddy's coattails their
    whole lives.
    Big improvement on the spoilt little brats (Paris, anyone?) who are
    protected from the real world until it's far too late.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."
     
    Matthew Poole, Jun 17, 2006
    #16
  17. On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 01:04:09 +1200, someone purporting to be Adam didst
    scrawl:

    > On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 18:37:00 +1200, Matthew Poole wrote:

    *SNIP*
    > where he said that his aim was basically to give it ALL away. His
    > children were to have their education paid for and that was it -
    > nothing (much) to inherit.
    >
    > Thing is - I ended up actually believing him. Since that interview (a
    > few years ago), he does seem to be genuinely moving in that direction.
    >

    *SNIP*

    It's been his position since his son was very little that he wasn't going
    to leave his children a massive fortune. The first time I saw it in print
    he didn't really go into detail about what was going to be done with the
    rest of it, but his consistency on the matter leaves me in no doubt that
    he will go through with it.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."
     
    Matthew Poole, Jun 17, 2006
    #17
  18. BrianM

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 01:04:09 +1200, Adam wrote:
    >
    >> However - I'd be more impressed if he simply made Windows free ;-)

    >
    > That will never happen - he's too much of an arsehole for that.
    >
    > Why else would he give all his money away rather than leave it to his
    > children?
    >
    >
    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea


    LOL
    For **** sake his family will never starve. And if Bill Gates was to be
    silly enough to give you a Billion Bucks he would still be the biggest
    arsehole ever as far as you're concerned.

    Never mind the large number of computer systems he's given away over the
    years. Only by being rich could he afford to be so generous to those who
    could never afford such things.

    If you want to keep making an even bigger arsehole out of yourself then
    that's entirely up to you.

    E. Scrooge
     
    E. Scrooge, Jun 17, 2006
    #18
  19. On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 09:01:14 +1200, Rebel wrote:

    > You really are an idiot aren't you. Think before you write, if he made
    > Microsoft Windows free then how would all those people employed to write it
    > and look after it get paid, what a twit.


    By people paying for a subscription update service - just like how RedHat
    makes its money.


    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    1/ Migration to Linux only costs money once. Higher Windows TCO is forever.
    2/ "Shared source" is a poison pill. Open Source is freedom.
    3/ Only the Windows boxes get the worms.
     
    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Jun 17, 2006
    #19
  20. On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 09:01:14 +1200, Rebel wrote:

    > What makes you come to that conclusion, he has given his kids all any
    > parent should need to, ie a good education which he paid for.


    A good education is only ONE part of what a parent should do for its
    children.


    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    1/ Migration to Linux only costs money once. Higher Windows TCO is forever.
    2/ "Shared source" is a poison pill. Open Source is freedom.
    3/ Only the Windows boxes get the worms.
     
    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Jun 17, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Tester
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    973
    VanguardLH
    Dec 14, 2007
  2. Babby Daddy

    Chairman Ann Doesn't Like Hate Crimes

    Babby Daddy, Mar 20, 2010, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    349
    Mike Yetto
    Mar 21, 2010
  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Quotations From Chairman Morrow

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 5, 2010, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    289
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    Aug 5, 2010
  4. RichA

    Olympus chairman resigns amid scandal

    RichA, Oct 26, 2011, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    312
    Robert Coe
    Oct 28, 2011
  5. RichA

    Ex-Olympus chairman arrested!!

    RichA, Feb 16, 2012, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    408
    Bruce
    Feb 17, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page