Chaining WiFi Router To Single PC's Firewall Router?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by (PeteCresswell), Nov 18, 2005.

  1. (the substance of this was posted in
    comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip
    a couple days ago, but nobody rose to
    the bait, so I repackaged it as below)

    I had a setup like this that worked A-OK:
    +==========================================================+
    | ISP -- DSL Line -- DSL Modem -- FireWall Router -- PC |
    +==========================================================+

    Wanting to fool around with WiFi, I bought a Palm TX and a wireless router (a
    LinkSys WRT54G).

    Since I live and die by my internet connection, only want the WiFi active some
    times, and don't care about an extra hop, it seemed logical to piggyback the new
    router on to the existing FireWally router thusly:
    +==========================================================+
    | ISP -- DSL Line -- DSL Modem -- FireWall Router -- PC |
    | | |
    | | |
    | Wireless Router |
    +==========================================================+

    Under that setup:

    - I can ping both routers from the PC.

    - I can bring both router's setup pages (i.e. IP 192.168.1.1...) up on the PC.

    - I can bring both router's setup pages up on the Palm Pilot (although the one
    for the WRT54G looks a little goofey).

    - I can bring up web pages on the PC, no problem.

    - From the Palm, I can Ping the FireWall router

    - From the Palm, I cannot Ping the WiFi router

    - From the Palm, I cannot Ping the PC behind the FireWall router.

    What I cannot do is get the Palm Pilot to go out on the Internet and
    retrieve a page - presumably by going through the FireWall router (a LinkSys
    BEFSX41).

    Right now, I'm trying via direct addressing to get around any DSN
    complications. e.g. http:\64.40.103.44 brings up some sort of "unregistered"
    notification page from an outfit named 'Plesk' when entered on my PC's browser,
    but when entered in the Palm's browser, no page can be found.

    I've been banging my head on the wall for three days now with no progress -
    including almost two hours on the phone with LinkSys.

    I've been through http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html - as per the "WiFi router
    connected to wired router?" thread - but can't make it work - and I *think*
    this is an explanation of the exact situation I'm trying to address.

    I'm trying to coalesce "one router"... "Other router", "second router", "main
    router", "old router", "wired router", "wireless cable/DSL router", "none
    wireless router", "Entry Level Wireless Cable/DSL Router", "Entry Level Access
    Point", and "Access point" to "Router A and Router B", but not having much luck
    yet...

    Can anybody offer advice (besides ditching the two-router solution)?
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Nov 18, 2005

  2. Per (PeteCresswell):
    >- From the Palm, I cannot Ping the WiFi router

    Oops, scratch that one: I *can* ping the WiFi router from the Palm.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Nov 18, 2005

  3. (PeteCresswell)

    TW Guest

    I use a D-Link624 wireless router for my LAN connected to an ActionTec
    router for DSL. Two routers connected and my LAN has to go through both to
    reach the internet. This works fine for PCs but I don't have any palms.

    Question- does your palm use DHCP or do you have to input the IP address,
    mask, gateway, and DNS?

    It seems that the palm has no gateway or DNS info to get to the 'net.
    Using two routers shouldn't be any problem.

    TW, Nov 19, 2005
  4. Per TW:

    >Question- does your palm use DHCP or do you have to input the IP address,
    >mask, gateway, and DNS?

    It will do that, but I have it set to "Automatic".

    No problems so far, and the Palm has connected to maybe a dozen unsecured
    routers over the last few days. As long as the router in question is
    unsecured, I have no problem connecting to it and getting out to the internet -
    except for the one that I have in my home setup.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Nov 19, 2005
  5. (PeteCresswell)

    Quaoar Guest

> [...]
    > including almost two hours on the phone with LinkSys.
    >
    > I've been through http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html - as per the
    > "WiFi router
    > connected to wired router?" thread - but can't make it work - and I
    > *think*
    > this is an explanation of the exact situation I'm trying to address.
    >
    > I'm trying to coalesce "one router"... "Other router", "second
    > router", "main
    > router", "old router", "wired router", "wireless cable/DSL router",
    > "none
    > wireless router", "Entry Level Wireless Cable/DSL Router", "Entry
    > Level Access
    > Point", and "Access point" to "Router A and Router B", but not having
    > much luck
    > yet...
    >
    > Can anybody offer advice (besides ditching the two-router solution)?

    Unless you lease two IP addresses from your ISP, you cannot connect two
    MAC addresses to the modem. Connect the wireless to a wired port on the
    firewall router, change wireless to switch mode (or bridge mode) from
    router mode, and it should work just fine. This configuration should be
    outlined in the documentation.
    Quaoar, Nov 25, 2005