    well deserved smart ass comments about moving away from Microsoft.

    Cheers

    Lanmeister

    Lanmeister, Nov 25, 2004

  2. Lanmeister wrote:
    > I administer two websites and have recently loaded XPP SP2 on to my admin
    > PC. It appears that since this, I can no longer see the CGI counters working
    > on the webpage - either locally or loaded from the web. My webhost support
    > team tell me they think it's a result of XPP SP2.

    install lin.... oh, never mind.

    > Can anyone offer specific assistance o nthis issue please - apart from the
    > well deserved smart ass comments about moving away from Microsoft.

    Does XPSP2 block loading images from other servers?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 25, 2004

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> I administer two websites and have recently loaded XPP SP2 on to my
    >> admin PC. It appears that since this, I can no longer see the CGI
    >> counters working on the webpage - either locally or loaded from the
    >> web. My webhost support team tell me they think it's a result of XPP SP2.

    > install lin.... oh, never mind.

    >> Can anyone offer specific assistance o nthis issue please - apart from
    >> the well deserved smart ass comments about moving away from Microsoft.

    > Does XPSP2 block loading images from other servers?

    oh yeah... and use Firefox :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 25, 2004
  4. Lanmeister

    Lanmeister Guest

    Images - No. CGI counters YES. Sometimes I DO get a message that IE has
    blocked the download of a file but it gives me the option to bring it down.
    With the CGI counters, I don't get this option.

    Cheers

    Lanmeister

    Lanmeister, Nov 25, 2004
  5. Lanmeister wrote:
    > Images - No. CGI counters YES. Sometimes I DO get a message that IE has
    > blocked the download of a file but it gives me the option to bring it down.
    > With the CGI counters, I don't get this option.

    Have you got an example URL to share?

    Nathan Mercer, Nov 25, 2004
  6. Lanmeister

    Lanmeister Guest

    Yup. Try www.nzacsas.org.nz or www.waikatoballoonclub.org.nz

    Cheers
    Lanmeister

    Lanmeister, Nov 25, 2004
  7. Lanmeister

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Lanmeister wrote:
    > Yup. Try www.nzacsas.org.nz or www.waikatoballoonclub.org.nz
    >
    > Cheers
    > Lanmeister
    >
    > "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    >> Lanmeister wrote:
    >>> Images - No. CGI counters YES. Sometimes I DO get a message that IE
    >>> has blocked the download of a file but it gives me the option to
    >>> bring it down. With the CGI counters, I don't get this option.

    >> Have you got an example URL to share?

    I don't know this for sure but I think you are sending it with the incorrect
    mime header. Firefox displays it properly in my XP SP2, IE doesn't. It's
    an xbm file if that's of any help, correct mime header is:
    image/x-xbitmap

    Nik Coughin, Nov 25, 2004
  8. Lanmeister

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Nik Coughin wrote:
    > Lanmeister wrote:
    >> Yup. Try www.nzacsas.org.nz or www.waikatoballoonclub.org.nz
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Lanmeister
    >>
    >> "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Have you got an example URL to share?

    > I don't know this for sure but I think you are sending it with the
    > incorrect mime header. Firefox displays it properly in my XP SP2, IE
    > doesn't. It's an xbm file if that's of any help, correct mime header
    > is: image/x-xbitmap

    Bummer, looks like IE doesn't display XBM with XP SP2:
    http://tinyurl.com/4qpq5

    Nik Coughin, Nov 25, 2004
  9. Lanmeister

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 15:37:30 +1300, Lanmeister wrote:

    > Can anyone offer specific assistance o nthis issue please - apart from the
    > well deserved smart ass comments about moving away from Microsoft.

    You really should take your own advice! ;-)

    Gordon, Nov 25, 2004
  10. Nik Coughin wrote:
    > Bummer, looks like IE doesn't display XBM with XP SP2:
    > http://tinyurl.com/4qpq5

    http://blog.delphij.net/archives/000600.html
    Workaround: Import the following item into registry.

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Security]
    "BlockXBM"=dword:00000000

    Of course, this is a workaround and true solution would be discourage XBM.

    no idea what it does, but it was there.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 25, 2004
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > http://blog.delphij.net/archives/000600.html
    > Workaround: Import the following item into registry.
    >
    > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Security]
    > "BlockXBM"=dword:00000000
    >
    > Of course, this is a workaround and true solution would be discourage XBM.
    >
    > no idea what it does, but it was there.

    oh yeah, and it does fix it, it seems.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 25, 2004
  12. Lanmeister

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> http://blog.delphij.net/archives/000600.html
    >> Workaround: Import the following item into registry.
    >>
    >> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    >>
    >> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Security]
    >> "BlockXBM"=dword:00000000
    >>
    >> Of course, this is a workaround and true solution would be
    >> discourage XBM.
    >> _______________________________________________________ no idea what it
    >> does, but it was there.

    > oh yeah, and it does fix it, it seems.

    Typical Microsoft sticking plaster solution in blocking xbm, when all xbm
    can do is define on/off pixels in an image. The reason they block it is
    because IE and OE cannot handle a malformed xbm. They don't check the
    height or width of the image so you can give it values that crash IE.
    Rather than fix the bug, they just stopped IE from loading xbm.

    Nik Coughin, Nov 25, 2004
  13. Lanmeister

    Lanmeister Guest

    Thanks for that. It worked. Trust MS.

    Cheers

    Lanmeister

    Lanmeister, Nov 25, 2004
  14. Nik Coughin wrote:
    >>>http://blog.delphij.net/archives/000600.html

    >>oh yeah, and it does fix it, it seems.

    > Typical Microsoft sticking plaster solution in blocking xbm, when all xbm
    > can do is define on/off pixels in an image. The reason they block it is
    > because IE and OE cannot handle a malformed xbm. They don't check the
    > height or width of the image so you can give it values that crash IE.
    > Rather than fix the bug, they just stopped IE from loading xbm.

    well it does "fix" it until/if they fix it properly...

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 25, 2004
  15. Lanmeister

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> oh yeah, and it does fix it, it seems.

    >> Typical Microsoft sticking plaster solution in blocking xbm, when
    >> all xbm can do is define on/off pixels in an image. The reason they
    >> block it is because IE and OE cannot handle a malformed xbm. They
    >> don't check the height or width of the image so you can give it
    >> values that crash IE. Rather than fix the bug, they just stopped IE
    >> from loading xbm.

    > well it does "fix" it until/if they fix it properly...

    Generous soul that I am, I've done if for them:

    if( aXbm.width > cSensibleMaximumWidth || aXbm.height >
    cSensibleMaximumHeight )
    {
    /* Don't try and load it then, you fucking idiot browser */
    return null;
    }
    else
    {
    return xbm.image;
    }

    Nik Coughin, Nov 26, 2004
  16. Lanmeister

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Nik Coughin wrote:
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> Typical Microsoft sticking plaster solution in blocking xbm, when
    >>> all xbm can do is define on/off pixels in an image. The reason they
    >>> block it is because IE and OE cannot handle a malformed xbm. They
    >>> don't check the height or width of the image so you can give it
    >>> values that crash IE. Rather than fix the bug, they just stopped IE
    >>> from loading xbm.

    >> well it does "fix" it until/if they fix it properly...

    > Generous soul that I am, I've done if for them:
    >
    > if( aXbm.width > cSensibleMaximumWidth || aXbm.height >
    > cSensibleMaximumHeight )
    > {
    > /* Don't try and load it then, you fucking idiot browser */
    > return null;
    > }
    > else
    > {
    > return xbm.image;
    > }

    Oops

    return aXbm.image;

    Nik Coughin, Nov 26, 2004
  17. In article <> in nz.comp on Thu, 25 Nov 2004
    15:43:04 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz <> says...
    > Lanmeister wrote:
    > > I administer two websites and have recently loaded XPP SP2 on to my admin
    > > PC. It appears that since this, I can no longer see the CGI counters working
    > > on the webpage - either locally or loaded from the web. My webhost support
    > > team tell me they think it's a result of XPP SP2.

    > install lin.... oh, never mind.
    >
    > > Can anyone offer specific assistance o nthis issue please - apart from the
    > > well deserved smart ass comments about moving away from Microsoft.

    > Does XPSP2 block loading images from other servers?

    It blocks incoming connections.

    It also installs patches to IE I believe. It may well be in the new IE
    privacy features.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 26, 2004
  18. In article <> in nz.comp on Thu, 25 Nov 2004
    15:43:04 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz <> says...
    > Lanmeister wrote:
    > > I administer two websites and have recently loaded XPP SP2 on to my admin
    > > PC. It appears that since this, I can no longer see the CGI counters working
    > > on the webpage - either locally or loaded from the web. My webhost support
    > > team tell me they think it's a result of XPP SP2.

    > install lin.... oh, never mind.
    >
    > > Can anyone offer specific assistance o nthis issue please - apart from the
    > > well deserved smart ass comments about moving away from Microsoft.

    > Does XPSP2 block loading images from other servers?

    Let me presuppose that the patched IE might block remote images - which
    in some cases is how counters are implemented.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 26, 2004
  19. It seems like Thu, 25 Nov 2004 15:43:04 +1300 was when "Dave -
    Dave.net.nz" <> said Blah blah blah...

    >install lin.... oh, never mind.

    I need to get this as a bumper sticker, or better yet a sig:)
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

    Waylon Kenning, Nov 29, 2004
  20. Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >>install lin.... oh, never mind.

    > I need to get this as a bumper sticker, or better yet a sig:)

    really? it's not that funny.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e