    Is there such a thing as a Compact Flash to Secure Digital adapter? I have
    cameras using both CF and SD and would like to use one format. Also, I
    assume CF is, or soon will be, on the endangered species list.

    Cooter, Jun 20, 2007

  2. Cooter

    DD-Diver Guest

    "Cooter" <> schreef in bericht
    news:46795ecb$0$30608$...
    > Is there such a thing as a Compact Flash to Secure Digital adapter? I have
    > cameras using both CF and SD and would like to use one format. Also, I
    > assume CF is, or soon will be, on the endangered species list.

    Since CF has been, still is, and probably will be, one (or even more?)
    step(s) ahead of other formats, I don't think it will be an "endangered
    species" any time soon.
    Yes: being a flash-card it is quite "bulky", however: it is still >THE<
    format for pro DSLR's.

    There are adaptors for fitting SD-cards into a CF slot, but I never heard of
    any the other way 'round...

    Has to do with the physical dimensions...

    Lucas

    A CF-user that hates to fumble with anything tinier.... (all thumbs)

    DD-Diver, Jun 20, 2007

  3. Cooter

    John Bean Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 13:03:43 -0400, "Cooter"
    <> wrote:

    >Is there such a thing as a Compact Flash to Secure Digital adapter? I have
    >cameras using both CF and SD and would like to use one format. Also, I
    >assume CF is, or soon will be, on the endangered species list.

    Yes. But at current and expected future prices the adaptor
    costs more than it's worth and speed is sacrificed. Buy more
    CF cards with the money, the format is not going to die
    anytime soon.

    If you really want one I suggest you buy a Datafab FA-CFIISD
    (Google for suppliers in your country), not all others will
    work in all cameras. The adaptor works with all SD/MMC cards
    but won't work with the new SDHC cards.

    --
    John Bean

    John Bean, Jun 20, 2007
  4. Cooter

    Cooter Guest

    Just to clarify, I wanted to be able to insert an SD card into a CF-size
    adapter, and put the resulting combo into my camera. But you and another
    poster have assured me that CF cards are here for the long haul, so that
    fits my needs much better. I also am blessed with too many thumbs. Thanks
    for the reply.

    Cooter, Jun 20, 2007
  5. Cooter

    Cooter Guest

    Thanks for the info, but since it sounds like CF cards are here to stay I'll
    just keep using them. SDs are a bit small for my age.

    Cooter, Jun 20, 2007
  6. In article <46795ecb$0$30608$>,
    "Cooter" <> wrote:

    > Is there such a thing as a Compact Flash to Secure Digital adapter? I have
    > cameras using both CF and SD and would like to use one format. Also, I
    > assume CF is, or soon will be, on the endangered species list.

    Cooter-

    I have a CF adapter made by Minolta, that works with an SD card inserted
    in its side. (Therefore you can't remove the SD card without first
    removing the adapter.) Minolta is probably not available any longer but
    I've seen advertisements for other brands on the web.

    Although I haven't tried it, my Minolta adapter will probably NOT work
    with the new SDHC standard for cards larger than 2 GB. Perhaps the
    other brands will bring out an updated adapter.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Jun 21, 2007
  7. Cooter

    Mark B. Guest

    "Cooter" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the info, but since it sounds like CF cards are here to stay
    > I'll just keep using them. SDs are a bit small for my age.

    For DSLRs, yes, it's a good bet CF is here to stay. If you're using CF in
    an older compact, don't count on using them on future models - compacts are
    going to SD and smaller formats (unfortunately!).

    Mark

    Mark B., Jun 21, 2007
  8. I would recommend that you check your price on an adapter before purchasing
    one. Memory cards can be found for about $10US per GB if you do not require
    the fastest speeds or top name brands. I expect the prices to continue to
    drop.

    William Hathaway via PhotoKB.com, Jun 21, 2007
  9. Cooter

    scenic_man Guest

    DD-Diver wrote:
    > A CF-user that hates to fumble with anything tinier.... (all thumbs)

    Upon observation, I seem to have the usual assortment of thumbs and fingers,
    but I too am wary of certain cards.

    In my case, it's the CF cards that give me the willies,
    with their dozens (hundreds?) of tiny --
    and, I presume, breakable or bendable -- pins.

    Whenever I put my CF card in the reader on the computer,
    I'm always afraid I'm putting it in wrong.

    I've also got the problem that my camera uses CF but wife's camera uses SD.
    It'd be convenient if they both used the same thing.

    scenic_man, Jun 23, 2007
  10. Cooter

    John Bean Guest

    On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 21:58:31 GMT, scenic_man
    <> wrote:
    >In my case, it's the CF cards that give me the willies,
    >with their dozens (hundreds?) of tiny --
    >and, I presume, breakable or bendable -- pins.

    The cards don't have pins, the pins are in the
    camera/reader. But if they did, they would have 50.

    >Whenever I put my CF card in the reader on the computer,
    >I'm always afraid I'm putting it in wrong.

    It won't fit wrongly unless you use brute force. Or
    ignorance. Or both ;-)

    --
    John Bean

    John Bean, Jun 23, 2007