    things up once again?

    Constructive suggestions, please.

    RM

    Roger Moss, Dec 18, 2005

  2. Roger Moss

    Scott Chapin Guest

    "Roger Moss" <roger.moss(BINTHISBIT)@tiscali.fr> wrote in message
    news:do3oh9$13f$...
    > After using a Belkin USB CF reader for some time with no problems, it now
    > informs me that any card inserted is not formatted. I've removed and then
    > reinstalled the drivers, and the LED indicator on the drive suggests that
    > all is functioning correctly - is this our old friend XP (+SP2) screwing
    > things up once again?
    >
    > Constructive suggestions, please.
    >
    > RM

    Probably not an OS problem, especially if your camera sees the card. Belkin
    makes great cables and such, but I don't trust anything they produce that
    has Windows drivers. I had a Belkin USB to RS232 converter and guess what?
    It rarely worked properly. I had a Belkin USB wireless unit and guess what?
    It didn't work properly.

    CF card readers are inexpensive. Get another (non-Belkin) one.

    Scott Chapin

    Scott Chapin, Dec 18, 2005

  3. Roger Moss

    Henry Guest

    "Scott Chapin" <> wrote in message

    > "Roger Moss" <roger.moss(BINTHISBIT)@tiscali.fr> wrote in message
    >> After using a Belkin USB CF reader for some time with no problems, it now
    >> informs me that any card inserted is not formatted. I've removed and then
    >> reinstalled the drivers, and the LED indicator on the drive suggests that
    >> all is functioning correctly - is this our old friend XP (+SP2) screwing
    >> things up once again?
    >>
    >> Constructive suggestions, please.
    >>
    >> RM
    >>

    > Probably not an OS problem, especially if your camera sees the card.
    > Belkin
    > makes great cables and such, but I don't trust anything they produce that
    > has Windows drivers. I had a Belkin USB to RS232 converter and guess what?
    > It rarely worked properly. I had a Belkin USB wireless unit and guess
    > what?
    > It didn't work properly.
    >
    > CF card readers are inexpensive. Get another (non-Belkin) one.
    >
    > Scott Chapin

    sounds like a fault in the reader, not an OS problem.

    Henry, Dec 18, 2005
  4. Roger Moss

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 14:34:23 +0100, "Roger Moss"
    <roger.moss(BINTHISBIT)@tiscali.fr> wrote:

    >After using a Belkin USB CF reader for some time with no problems, it now
    >informs me that any card inserted is not formatted. I've removed and then
    >reinstalled the drivers, and the LED indicator on the drive suggests that
    >all is functioning correctly - is this our old friend XP (+SP2) screwing
    >things up once again?
    >
    >Constructive suggestions, please.
    >
    >RM

    I doubt it's an XP/SP2 problem; it would have always been flakey if it
    were.
    Why does the Belkin reader need drivers? XP has the drivers built in
    for card readers. I'd suspect the reader; they're cheap, get another,
    one that will work out of the box with XP (just about any currently
    marketed USB reader).

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Dec 18, 2005
  5. Roger Moss

    Roger Moss Guest

    To be honest, I got a Belkin unit as I've always thought their cables, etc.,
    were pretty rugged and assumed that a simple card reader ought to be
    similarly bomb-proof.

    But... if I take out the cable from it and connect directly to my camera
    body, all transfers with no problems - albeit a bit slowly. I'll try using
    the XP driver before assuming the reader is a basket case, as it's pretty
    new and has never even been out on the road. I'll also try it on my notebook
    PC; if it works on that, well...

    Thanks for the responses!

    RM

    Roger Moss, Dec 18, 2005
  6. Roger Moss wrote:
    > To be honest, I got a Belkin unit as I've always thought their cables, etc.,
    > were pretty rugged and assumed that a simple card reader ought to be
    > similarly bomb-proof.
    >
    > But... if I take out the cable from it and connect directly to my camera
    > body, all transfers with no problems - albeit a bit slowly. I'll try using
    > the XP driver before assuming the reader is a basket case, as it's pretty
    > new and has never even been out on the road. I'll also try it on my notebook
    > PC; if it works on that, well...

    Have the camera reformat the card after you've downloaded the next batch
    of photos. Longish shot, but might do it.

    ==
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Dec 18, 2005
  7. Roger Moss

    Scott Chapin Guest

    "Henry" <> wrote in message

    <SNIP>

    > sounds like a fault in the reader, not an OS problem.

    Indeed, and most probably the drivers and not the hardware.

    Scott Chapin

    Scott Chapin, Dec 18, 2005
  8. Roger Moss

    > To be honest, I got a Belkin unit as I've always thought their cables,

    etc.,
    > were pretty rugged and assumed that a simple card reader ought to be
    > similarly bomb-proof.

    <SNIP>

    That's why I went with Belkin, until two USB items of theirs had crappy
    drivers!

    Good Luck,

    Scott Chapin

    Scott Chapin, Dec 18, 2005
  9. Roger Moss

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 17:38:02 +0100, "Roger Moss"
    <roger.moss(BINTHISBIT)@tiscali.fr> wrote:

    >To be honest, I got a Belkin unit as I've always thought their cables, etc.,
    >were pretty rugged and assumed that a simple card reader ought to be
    >similarly bomb-proof.
    >
    >But... if I take out the cable from it and connect directly to my camera
    >body, all transfers with no problems - albeit a bit slowly. I'll try using
    >the XP driver before assuming the reader is a basket case, as it's pretty
    >new and has never even been out on the road. I'll also try it on my notebook
    >PC; if it works on that, well...

    Did the instructions that came with the Belkin reader tell you to
    install drivers for WinXP? Or did you simply install them because they
    were there?
    If the latter, yes, remove them.
    If the former, replace the Belkin reader; they obviously don't know
    what they are doing. Everyone else can build a reader that needs no
    other drivers than those in XP.

    Bill Funk, Dec 18, 2005
  10. Roger Moss

    Roger Moss Guest

    Re: CF reader now states inserted card not formatted (wrongly) - Belkin not gulty?

    "Bill Funk" <> wrote in message

    >>To be honest, I got a Belkin unit as I've always thought their cables,
    >>etc.,
    >>were pretty rugged and assumed that a simple card reader ought to be
    >>similarly bomb-proof.
    >>
    >>But... if I take out the cable from it and connect directly to my camera
    >>body, all transfers with no problems - albeit a bit slowly. I'll try using
    >>the XP driver before assuming the reader is a basket case, as it's pretty
    >>new and has never even been out on the road. I'll also try it on my
    >>notebook
    >>PC; if it works on that, well...

    > Did the instructions that came with the Belkin reader tell you to
    > install drivers for WinXP? Or did you simply install them because they
    > were there?
    > If the latter, yes, remove them.
    > If the former, replace the Belkin reader; they obviously don't know
    > what they are doing. Everyone else can build a reader that needs no
    > other drivers than those in XP.

    Well, maybe we shouldn't jump to conclusions - the unit works fine on my
    notebook, and - surprise, surprise - my old USB1.1 card reader shows the
    same problem on my main machine as the Belkin unit. I pop in a card
    containing images, only to be told it's not formatted.

    I checked the Belkin install disk, which despite the Install Driver menu
    item doesn't seem to contain a driver at all; maybe it simply checks that
    the native Win XP driver is there. Anyhow, my guess is that the driver is
    corrupt, but I may be wrong - now all I need to do is figure out how to
    replace it (bearing in mind I have SP2 installed, so that rules out the
    original Windows install disk... we'll see.

    Strange, never had this problem with film :)

    Stay tuned...

    RM

    Roger Moss, Dec 18, 2005
  11. Roger Moss

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "Bill Funk" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 17:38:02 +0100, "Roger Moss"
    > <roger.moss(BINTHISBIT)@tiscali.fr> wrote:
    >
    >>To be honest, I got a Belkin unit as I've always thought their cables,
    >>etc.,
    >>were pretty rugged and assumed that a simple card reader ought to be
    >>similarly bomb-proof.
    >>
    >>But... if I take out the cable from it and connect directly to my camera
    >>body, all transfers with no problems - albeit a bit slowly. I'll try using
    >>the XP driver before assuming the reader is a basket case, as it's pretty
    >>new and has never even been out on the road. I'll also try it on my
    >>notebook
    >>PC; if it works on that, well...

    > Did the instructions that came with the Belkin reader tell you to
    > install drivers for WinXP? Or did you simply install them because they
    > were there?
    > If the latter, yes, remove them.
    > If the former, replace the Belkin reader; they obviously don't know
    > what they are doing. Everyone else can build a reader that needs no
    > other drivers than those in XP.
    >>
    >>Thanks for the responses!
    >>
    >>RM
    >>
    >>"Bill Funk" <> wrote in message

    >>> I doubt it's an XP/SP2 problem; it would have always been flakey if it
    >>> were.
    >>> Why does the Belkin reader need drivers? XP has the drivers built in
    >>> for card readers. I'd suspect the reader; they're cheap, get another,
    >>> one that will work out of the box with XP (just about any currently
    >>> marketed USB reader).
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Bill Funk
    >>> Replace "g" with "a"
    >>> funktionality.blogspot.com

    > --
    > Bill Funk
    > Replace "g" with "a"
    > funktionality.blogspot.com

    While it's true winxp doesn't need a vendor supplied driver, canon do supply
    a thing called wia (or similar, I'm going by memory). This thing already
    exists in winxp and isn't really needed, but it's possible vendors might
    have a later driver.
    I really doubt Belkin don't know what they are doing, they've been making
    this stuff for quite a while. I have a Belkin centronics to usb cable that
    worked fine in both winxp and win98se. I no longer need it. Besides, the op
    indicated his reader was working at one time. I vote for the the corrupted
    driver problem. If you go into device manage with the device connected, you
    get an option to update driver. One of the sources is windows update site.
    Never used it, maybe worth a try
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Dec 18, 2005
  12. Roger Moss

    Bill Funk Guest

    Re: CF reader now states inserted card not formatted (wrongly) - Belkin not gulty?

    On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 21:47:20 +0100, "Roger Moss"
    <roger.moss(BINTHISBIT)@tiscali.fr> wrote:

    >"Bill Funk" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>>To be honest, I got a Belkin unit as I've always thought their cables,
    >>>etc.,
    >>>were pretty rugged and assumed that a simple card reader ought to be
    >>>similarly bomb-proof.
    >>>
    >>>But... if I take out the cable from it and connect directly to my camera
    >>>body, all transfers with no problems - albeit a bit slowly. I'll try using
    >>>the XP driver before assuming the reader is a basket case, as it's pretty
    >>>new and has never even been out on the road. I'll also try it on my
    >>>notebook
    >>>PC; if it works on that, well...

    >> Did the instructions that came with the Belkin reader tell you to
    >> install drivers for WinXP? Or did you simply install them because they
    >> were there?
    >> If the latter, yes, remove them.
    >> If the former, replace the Belkin reader; they obviously don't know
    >> what they are doing. Everyone else can build a reader that needs no
    >> other drivers than those in XP.

    >Well, maybe we shouldn't jump to conclusions - the unit works fine on my
    >notebook, and - surprise, surprise - my old USB1.1 card reader shows the
    >same problem on my main machine as the Belkin unit. I pop in a card
    >containing images, only to be told it's not formatted.
    >
    >I checked the Belkin install disk, which despite the Install Driver menu
    >item doesn't seem to contain a driver at all; maybe it simply checks that
    >the native Win XP driver is there. Anyhow, my guess is that the driver is
    >corrupt, but I may be wrong - now all I need to do is figure out how to
    >replace it (bearing in mind I have SP2 installed, so that rules out the
    >original Windows install disk... we'll see.
    >
    >Strange, never had this problem with film :)
    >
    >Stay tuned...
    >
    >RM

    Please, try another reader.
    I've never heard of an install disk that was designed to check to see
    if XP has a driver installed; MS is pretty decent about letting device
    makers know which drivers are there, so the makers can make devices
    that work; it's to MS's benefit to do this.
    Again: did the instructions tell you to use an install disk with XP?
    If so, Belkin is suspect, as other USB readers don't need to do this.

    Bill Funk, Dec 18, 2005
  13. Roger Moss

    > After using a Belkin USB CF reader for some time with no problems, it now
    > informs me that any card inserted is not formatted. I've removed and then
    > reinstalled the drivers, and the LED indicator on the drive suggests that
    > all is functioning correctly - is this our old friend XP (+SP2) screwing
    > things up once again?
    >
    > Constructive suggestions, please.
    >
    > RM

    Are there any yellow bang marks in your device drivers?

    Scott Chapin

    Scott Chapin, Dec 18, 2005
  14. Roger Moss

    tomcas Guest

    Roger Moss wrote:
    > After using a Belkin USB CF reader for some time with no problems, it now
    > informs me that any card inserted is not formatted. I've removed and then
    > reinstalled the drivers, and the LED indicator on the drive suggests that
    > all is functioning correctly - is this our old friend XP (+SP2) screwing
    > things up once again?
    >
    > Constructive suggestions, please.
    >
    > RM

    Look down inside the reader slot and check for bent pins.

    tomcas, Dec 20, 2005