    Thanks
    Mike

    remove nospam to reply
    Mike Williams, Aug 6, 2004

  2. I can't say anything about the cf cards, because my camera doesn't take
    them, but the xd cards are very reliable.

    Paul Riemerman

    Paul Riemerman, Aug 6, 2004

  3. Mike Williams

    Alex Butcher Guest

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 11:50:50 -0500, Paul Riemerman wrote:

    > I can't say anything about the cf cards, because my camera doesn't take
    > them, but the xd cards are very reliable.

    That's probably a result of xD cards only being made by a few (reputable)
    manufacturers, such as Samsung. If you go for quality CF cards (e.g.
    Crucial, Lexar), I'm sure you'll experience similar reliability. Note that
    some friends have had problems with the reliability of Sandisk's CF cards.

    Personally, I've got a preference for CF based on its flexibility and low
    price/MB (along with SD, and due to their popularity). That said, I found
    my most recent (Olympus) camera was such a good package that I compromised
    on the memory format and ended up with xD. I just hope I don't get burnt
    with lack of availability later...

    > Paul Riemerman

    Best Regards,
    Alex.
    --
    Alex Butcher Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
    Bristol, UK Need reliable and secure network systems?
    Alex Butcher, Aug 6, 2004
  4. Mike Williams

    Justin Thyme Guest

    > can anyone tell me which is best, CF or XD mem cards, because CF are

    quite
    > a bit cheaper

    The best card is the one that fits your camera. Don't base a camera
    purchase decision on what type of card it takes unless you already have a
    bunch of cards. If you have a camera that takes multiple format (eg S7000
    which will take XD or CF) then you'll generally be better to buy CF -
    provided you get a high-speed card.

    Justin Thyme, Aug 6, 2004

    Arty Phacting, Aug 7, 2004
  6. Mike Williams

    Nostrobino Guest

    Compact Flash has been around much longer, there are many more cameras that
    use it and therefore much more CF card sales volume and more sales
    competition, which of course drives prices down. That presumably is why CF
    card prices are so much lower.

    xD cards are a relatively recent development (it seems to me an unnecessary
    one), and their advantage lies chiefly if not entirely in their small size,
    which makes them adaptable to extremely compact cameras. But since they
    offer no obvious advantage over SD cards which are about the same size, have
    been around much longer (almost as long as CF cards) and are used in many
    more makes of cameras and other small devices, one has to wonder why Fuji
    and Olympus bothered bringing out a completely new non-compatible type of
    flash memory card.

    SD cards, like CF cards, are widely available from many different
    manufacturers, often on sale or rebate at extremely attractive final prices.
    I have not seen this at all with xD cards.

    Neither have I seen any major camera maker other than Fuji and Olympus
    bringing out new models for xD cards, and it doesn't seem likely any others
    will, since all the other major manufacturers as far as I know have already
    standardized on SD cards for their very small models. They have no reason
    that I can see to change now.

    Also, there are plenty of different models of card readers for CF and SD
    cards, relatively few for xD.

    The question then is, Is there any special quality or feature in some Fuji
    or Olympus model that is important enough to you to overcome the
    product/price disadvantages associated with the xD card?

    Nostrobino, Aug 7, 2004
  7. Mike Williams

    Justin Thyme Guest

    "Nostrobino" <> wrote in message
    > Compact Flash has been around much longer, there are many more cameras

    that
    > use it and therefore much more CF card sales volume and more sales
    > competition, which of course drives prices down. That presumably is why CF
    > card prices are so much lower.
    >
    > xD cards are a relatively recent development (it seems to me an

    unnecessary
    > one), and their advantage lies chiefly if not entirely in their small

    size,
    > which makes them adaptable to extremely compact cameras. But since they
    > offer no obvious advantage over SD cards which are about the same size,

    have
    They are faster than SD. In fact they are faster than even most of the
    common run-of-the-mill CF cards. The new high speed CF that is out now is
    quicker than XD, but for those cards you are paying pretty much the same
    price as XD anyway. Actually here in Australia, most cards cost pretty much
    the same amount - no more than 5-10% variation between prices. The only
    exception is that there is a bit of dumping happening on low-speed CF cards,
    which are really cheap - but that won't last for much longer.
    > been around much longer (almost as long as CF cards) and are used in many
    > more makes of cameras and other small devices, one has to wonder why Fuji
    > and Olympus bothered bringing out a completely new non-compatible type of
    > flash memory card.

    Faster and smaller than SD, smaller than CF, faster and smaller than MS,
    smaller, faster and higher capacity than SM, smaller faster and higher
    capacity than MMC - I can see why they would do it. By the same token, why
    would Sony invent MS which is slower, larger and more proprietary than SD?
    At the end of the day it doesn't really matter what card a camera takes, buy
    it for specification not for card type.

    > Also, there are plenty of different models of card readers for CF and SD
    > cards, relatively few for xD.

    That has changed - there are now heaps that do XD. Plus HP & Epson do XD in
    all their models. Of course they will do XD - Fuji and Olympus are the two
    top selling brands of camera.

    > The question then is, Is there any special quality or feature in some Fuji
    > or Olympus model that is important enough to you to overcome the
    > product/price disadvantages associated with the xD card?

    XD doesn't represent a disadvantage, and at any price point, Fuji and
    Olympus offer pretty much the best specs and best quality.

    Justin Thyme, Aug 7, 2004