    Does anyone know of a generic format or initialize utility for cf cards that
    can be used with USB readers and PCMCIA converters? Or a correct method for
    re-formatting cf cards?

    Peter, Apr 17, 2004

  2. Peter

    Andrew Guest

    On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 14:14:54 +1200, "Peter" <>
    wrote:

    >Does anyone know of a generic format or initialize utility for cf cards that
    >can be used with USB readers and PCMCIA converters? Or a correct method for
    >re-formatting cf cards?

    Why not format it in Windows?

    Andrew, Apr 17, 2004

  3. Peter

    Guest

    Peter <> wrote:

    > Does anyone know of a generic format or initialize utility for cf cards that
    > can be used with USB readers and PCMCIA converters? Or a correct method for
    > re-formatting cf cards?

    Reformat the cards in the camera in which they will be used.

    , Apr 17, 2004
  4. Peter

    Peter Guest

    This doesn't solve the problem. My card gave errors even after being
    formatted in the camera. The problems only went away after being
    initialised with the Sandisk software, which they say, does the same as the
    dos FDISK and FORMAT commands, recreating the partition.

    I have several friends with the same problem, however they don't have
    Sandisk card readers and therefore can't use this software.

    Formatting in windows creates a 32bit fat which is what causes the problems
    for the cameras.

    Peter, Apr 17, 2004
  5. Peter

    Andrew Guest

    On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 19:33:11 +1200, "Peter" <>
    wrote:

    >Formatting in windows creates a 32bit fat which is what causes the problems
    >for the cameras.

    You can choose to format in standard FAT using the Windows Format
    utility.

    Andrew, Apr 17, 2004
  6. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 19:33:11 +1200, "Peter" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > You can choose to format in standard FAT using the Windows Format
    > utility.

    Thanks. Tried this. Opened a dos window and used the FDISK command to
    delete and then again to create a new partition and then formatted it with
    the format command at the dos prompt. Seems to have worked ok. Ended up
    with a FAT12 partition which is what I need!

    Next question, I'm using 98se, will my friends be able to do the same with
    XP?

    Peter, Apr 17, 2004
  7. Peter

    Andrew Guest

    On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 20:32:14 +1200, "Peter" <>
    wrote:

    >Next question, I'm using 98se, will my friends be able to do the same with
    >XP?

    The XP GUI Format allows you to format as FAT/FAT32/NTFS and select
    the cluster size.

    Andrew, Apr 17, 2004
  8. Peter

    Tom Scales Guest

    Some cameras, of course, do accept FAT32.

    Tom Scales, Apr 17, 2004
  9. Peter

    Mark M Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > Several of my friends are having the same problem - that is in allowing
    > windows to write to a CF card while it is used in a card reader. After
    > allowing windows to write to the cf card this card gives errors in the
    > camera and *appears* to be a faulty cf card. I have discovered that these
    > cf cards are not faulty at all.
    >
    > I managed to repair mine using an 'initialize' utility supplied with my
    > sandisk USB, cf card reader. After being re-initialized the faulty card
    > worked fine in the camera and is now being re-used with no errors.
    >
    > The problem is that many card readers, particularly the PCMCIA adapters
    > don't have such an 'initialize' utility.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a generic format or initialize utility for cf cards

    that
    > can be used with USB readers and PCMCIA converters? Or a correct method

    for
    > re-formatting cf cards?

    This is why all cameras can format the cards themselves...
    Read your manual and discover how to do this with your camera.

    Mark M, Apr 18, 2004
  10. Peter

    Mark M Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > This doesn't solve the problem. My card gave errors even after being
    > formatted in the camera. The problems only went away after being
    > initialised with the Sandisk software, which they say, does the same as

    the
    > dos FDISK and FORMAT commands, recreating the partition.
    >
    > I have several friends with the same problem, however they don't have
    > Sandisk card readers and therefore can't use this software.
    >
    > Formatting in windows creates a 32bit fat which is what causes the

    problems
    > for the cameras.

    I believe you can tell windows to format with FAT16.
    Try that.

    Mark M, Apr 18, 2004
  11. Peter

    Mark M Guest

    "Mark M" <> wrote in message

    > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > > Several of my friends are having the same problem - that is in allowing
    > > windows to write to a CF card while it is used in a card reader. After
    > > allowing windows to write to the cf card this card gives errors in the
    > > camera and *appears* to be a faulty cf card. I have discovered that

    these
    > > cf cards are not faulty at all.
    > >
    > > I managed to repair mine using an 'initialize' utility supplied with my
    > > sandisk USB, cf card reader. After being re-initialized the faulty card
    > > worked fine in the camera and is now being re-used with no errors.
    > >
    > > The problem is that many card readers, particularly the PCMCIA adapters
    > > don't have such an 'initialize' utility.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know of a generic format or initialize utility for cf cards

    > that
    > > can be used with USB readers and PCMCIA converters? Or a correct method

    > for
    > > re-formatting cf cards?

    > This is why all cameras can format the cards themselves...
    > Read your manual and discover how to do this with your camera.

    Ah-
    I see later in the thread that this didn't solve your problem.
    -FAT16 should do it.

    Mark M, Apr 18, 2004
  12. Peter

    Peter Guest

    > This is why all cameras can format the cards themselves...
    > Read your manual and discover how to do this with your camera.

    No. re-formatting in the camera did not solve the problem. My card gave
    errors when formatted in the camera and was only reliable again after being
    initialised by the Sandisk software. I think that the camera only performs
    the equivalent of a 'quick' format.

    Peter, Apr 19, 2004
  13. Peter

    Peter Guest

    > Ah-
    > I see later in the thread that this didn't solve your problem.
    > -FAT16 should do it.

    Yes, I think that FAT16 solves the problem. I tried this as an experiment
    and it seems to work for me anyhow. I get no errors from the card formatted
    in this way. One of my friends can't solve his in this way but I'm
    beginning to think that he has a faulty card.

    b.t.w. After formatting, disk utilities show the card as having a FAT12.

    Peter, Apr 19, 2004