    reader/writer, and not called just a reader?

    Anyway, I would appreciate any thoughts about this. Thanks.

    JP

    Jerold Pearson, Aug 10, 2003

  2. Jerold Pearson

    Don Coon Guest

    "Jerold Pearson" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns93D2C7D35906Ejpearsonstanfordedu@171.64.14.103...
    > I've read the articles on the web that I can find about Compact Flash card
    > reader/writers, but none of them seem to address this question: Is it okay
    > to use the reader/writer to copy a photo from my computer onto the CF

    card?

    > (I don't take many photos, and just use the camera for snapshots. I'm not
    > an artist, but I do wind up editing the photos on my computer. I want to
    > put the edited photos on a card so I can take just the card to the shop
    > where I can get prints made.)
    >
    > A salesman at a camera store told me NEVER to do this -- he said weird

    files
    > get written onto the card doing this, and the card could stop working. He
    > said I should only use the card reader to download photos from the card to
    > the computer, not the other way around. A few minutes later, a salesman at

    > computer and peripherals store told me the exact opposite -- he said it

    was
    > perfectly fine to use the reader/writer to copy files from my computer

    onto
    > the card. That sounds right to me: I mean, isn't that why it's called a
    > reader/writer, and not called just a reader?
    >
    > Anyway, I would appreciate any thoughts about this. Thanks.
    >
    > JP

    The first salesman is ignorant. You can read/write any kind of file from/to
    a CF card. The only caveat to be aware of is that most cameras are only
    able to read and display image files that meet the specifications set by the
    camera maker. IOW, don't necessarily expect to edit an image file in SW,
    write it back to the card and have you camera recognize and display it.
    Things like the EXIF header format and file name structure must satisfy the
    camera's expectations.

    But if you want to write a Word document to the card and read it back --- no
    problem.

    Don Coon, Aug 10, 2003

  3. Jerold Pearson

    Rafe B. Guest

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 02:38:37 +0000 (UTC), Jerold Pearson
    <> wrote:

    >I've read the articles on the web that I can find about Compact Flash card
    >reader/writers, but none of them seem to address this question: Is it okay
    >to use the reader/writer to copy a photo from my computer onto the CF card?
    >
    >(I don't take many photos, and just use the camera for snapshots. I'm not
    >an artist, but I do wind up editing the photos on my computer. I want to
    >put the edited photos on a card so I can take just the card to the shop
    >where I can get prints made.)
    >
    >A salesman at a camera store told me NEVER to do this -- he said weird files
    >get written onto the card doing this, and the card could stop working. He
    >said I should only use the card reader to download photos from the card to
    >the computer, not the other way around. A few minutes later, a salesman at a
    >computer and peripherals store told me the exact opposite -- he said it was
    >perfectly fine to use the reader/writer to copy files from my computer onto
    >the card. That sounds right to me: I mean, isn't that why it's called a
    >reader/writer, and not called just a reader?
    >
    >Anyway, I would appreciate any thoughts about this. Thanks.

    AFAIK, with appropriate reader ($20 or so), a CF card
    looks and acts just like a removable drive, and uses
    a FAT-compatible file system. That's assuming you
    have a reasonably up to date OS, like Win 2K or XP.

    I'm not exactly sure how any given camera would react
    to files on the card that it doesn't recognize. Most likely
    there would be no problem. Why not try it and see?

    You can't possibly "hurt" the card by writing to it.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    Rafe B., Aug 10, 2003
  4. "Jerold Pearson" <> wrote in message
    > I've read the articles on the web that I can find about Compact Flash card
    > reader/writers, but none of them seem to address this question: Is it okay
    > to use the reader/writer to copy a photo from my computer onto the CF

    card?

    I do it all the time. CF cards are storage media, for a multitude of
    electronic devices, not just digital cameras. My husband and I share a
    couple of our CF cards between the cameras and the Palm Pilots.

    However, I always format a CF card IN the camera after I've used it for
    another purpose.

    > (I don't take many photos, and just use the camera for snapshots. I'm not
    > an artist, but I do wind up editing the photos on my computer. I want to
    > put the edited photos on a card so I can take just the card to the shop
    > where I can get prints made.)

    Been there, done that, too. Works fine.

    --
    Sally Beacham
    www.dizteq.com

    Sally Beacham, Aug 10, 2003
  5. Jerold Pearson

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Jerold Pearson wrote:
    > I've read the articles on the web that I can find about Compact Flash card
    > reader/writers, but none of them seem to address this question: Is it okay
    > to use the reader/writer to copy a photo from my computer onto the CF card?
    >
    > (I don't take many photos, and just use the camera for snapshots. I'm not
    > an artist, but I do wind up editing the photos on my computer. I want to
    > put the edited photos on a card so I can take just the card to the shop
    > where I can get prints made.)
    >
    > A salesman at a camera store told me NEVER to do this -- he said weird files
    > get written onto the card doing this, and the card could stop working. He
    > said I should only use the card reader to download photos from the card to
    > the computer, not the other way around. A few minutes later, a salesman at a
    > computer and peripherals store told me the exact opposite -- he said it was
    > perfectly fine to use the reader/writer to copy files from my computer onto
    > the card. That sounds right to me: I mean, isn't that why it's called a
    > reader/writer, and not called just a reader?
    >
    > Anyway, I would appreciate any thoughts about this. Thanks.
    >
    > JP

    Suggest you find a shop where the salesmen know what they are talking
    about. This one doesn't. I routinely use my flash cards for
    transporting data between home and work, and for storage of MP3 files,
    and for pictures, and for... Well, anything darn thing that I think of
    to do with them. As long as they aren't reformatted to some other
    format than FAT16, or the directory structure messed up, they should
    present no problem for a camera that is programmed according to standards.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 10, 2003
  6. Jerold Pearson

    KenJr Guest

    In article <Xns93D2C7D35906Ejpearsonstanfordedu@171.64.14.103>,
    says...
    > I've read the articles on the web that I can find about Compact Flash card
    > reader/writers, but none of them seem to address this question: Is it okay
    > to use the reader/writer to copy a photo from my computer onto the CF card?

    As everyone else has said, yes. You can copy any type of file you want to
    your CF card. I regularly use my memory cards to stare and transport data
    between my computer and my fathers and brothers computers. I simply
    create a directory called MISC to store the non-image files.

    As someone else said your edited pictures may or may not be recognized by
    your camera. As long as you don't change the directory structure the CF
    card will still work in your camera, adding a directory won't hurt it. If
    you do mess up the directory so the camera doesn't recognize it simply
    reformat the card in the camera to fix the problem.

    KenJr, Aug 10, 2003
  7. > I've read the articles on the web that I can find about Compact Flash
    card
    > reader/writers, but none of them seem to address this question: Is it

    okay
    > to use the reader/writer to copy a photo from my computer onto the CF

    card?

    Yes, that is no problem. What you might find a problem is that if you
    edit the pictures prior to copying them back to the card, the camera may
    not recognise them - for example if you want to use the camera for a
    slide-show. I have written software called TVwriter that will fixup image
    files so that they will once again replay correctly in the camera. You
    can try this software from:

    http://www.satsignal.net => Image Utilties, TVwriter

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 10, 2003
  8. Re: CF Card Reader - For Writing too? For David J.T.

    > Dear David:
    > Existe el problema de que si borras una fotografia desde el ordenador

    con la
    > tarjeta en un lector, esta ya no funciona mas en la maquina.
    > ¿ Porque no escribes un programa para formatear estas tarjetas

    SmartMedia ?
    > Thank you. I'm sorry. I'am spanish.
    > Antonio

    Machine translation by: http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en
    The problem of which exists if flocks one fotografia from the computer
    with the card in a reader, this no longer works but in the maquina.
    Because you do not write a program to formatear these SmartMedia cards?

    Antonio,

    My program is completely independant of the type of card - Compact Flash,
    Smart Media or whatever. You can use it with any card. TVwriter converts
    the image to a camera-readable format, leaving the output as a JPEG image
    on your computer.

    I would suggest that you format your Smart Media card in your camera, and
    then use Explorer to copy the files from your computer to the Smart Media
    card. It may be important to use the same file-naming and folder naming
    convention that you camera expects. If the files are named DSCN0001.jpg,
    then files named IMGP0001.jpg may not be recognised by the camera.

    I hope this helps.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 10, 2003
  9. Jerold Pearson <> writes:
    > I've read the articles on the web that I can find about Compact Flash card
    > reader/writers, but none of them seem to address this question: Is it okay
    > to use the reader/writer to copy a photo from my computer onto the CF card?

    I do this all the time... if I'm in a particular need of a print of
    one of the images from my 10D, I'll usually start with a blank CF
    card, copy it from my hard drive back onto the CF card with any other
    pictures I want to print, and take it Walmart. The camera doesn't
    care if there is other data on the card (if it's not in one of the
    directories that it expects pictures to be in, it'll just ignore it).

    --
    Richard W Kaszeta

    http://www.kaszeta.org/rich

    Richard Kaszeta, Aug 10, 2003
  10. "Jerold Pearson" <> wrote in message
    > I've read the articles on the web that I can find about Compact Flash card
    > reader/writers, but none of them seem to address this question: Is it okay
    > to use the reader/writer to copy a photo from my computer onto the CF

    card?

    Sure. I just did this over the weekend, with very good
    results.

    I have a Pentax Optio S (fantastic camera, IMHO), and it has
    a video output and a slide show function. I had a bunch of
    photos on my computer from the Optio S and from my older
    Fuji FinePix 1400. I renamed all the Fuji photos to the
    same naming scheme used by the Pentax camera, downsized
    all the pictures to 640x480 (so I could get all 350 photos
    onto my 64MB SD card), rotated the portrait-mode photos into
    the correct orientation, and copied them all into the
    appropriate directory on the flash card. I then used the
    Optio S's microphone to add audio commentary to a number of
    the photos. Finally, I plugged the camera into the VCR and
    ran the slide show. Voila, a videotape I can send to my
    computer-illiterate father in Texas. It worked great!

    -- William M. Miller

    William M. Miller, Aug 11, 2003