    hardware/software that can get files off a CF card that is
    not recognized by the computer?
    --David
    J David Ellis, Nov 19, 2006

  2. J David Ellis

    Robert Haar Guest

    On 2006/11/18 7:59 PM, "J David Ellis" <> wrote:

    > A Sandisk 2GB CF card recorded dozens of files during
    > shooting without an indicated error. When I plugged it into
    > the USB2 card reader it was not recognized as a storage
    > device. It's companion 2GB card, from the same shooting
    > session, was recognized without a problem. Is there special
    > hardware/software that can get files off a CF card that is
    > not recognized by the computer?

    Does your camera have a USB interface? If so, put the card in the camera and
    connect that to your computer.
    Robert Haar, Nov 19, 2006

  3. J David Ellis

    W Paul Mills Guest

    W Paul Mills, Nov 19, 2006
  4. J David Ellis

    just bob Guest

    "J David Ellis" <> wrote in message
    >A Sandisk 2GB CF card recorded dozens of files during shooting without an
    >indicated error. When I plugged it into the USB2 card reader it was not
    >recognized as a storage device. It's companion 2GB card, from the same
    >shooting session, was recognized without a problem. Is there special
    >hardware/software that can get files off a CF card that is not recognized
    >by the computer?

    Yikes. All I can suggest is if you put it back in the camera and can view
    the pictures, like someone else said, try to download from the camera via
    USB cable, firewire, or whatever is supported by your camera. If that is
    impossible try another computer and/or another card reader. Good luck. If
    you didn't already know, the majority of camera manufacturers recommend you
    always format your cards in the camera and not on your computer. I use Canon
    DSLR's and never had a problem with this method except for a microdrive
    which developed a bad sector but I was still able to get all but one file
    off.
    just bob, Nov 19, 2006
  5. J David Ellis

    Gary Edstrom Guest

    On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 16:59:27 -0800, J David Ellis <>
    wrote:

    >A Sandisk 2GB CF card recorded dozens of files during
    >shooting without an indicated error. When I plugged it into
    >the USB2 card reader it was not recognized as a storage
    >device. It's companion 2GB card, from the same shooting
    >session, was recognized without a problem. Is there special
    >hardware/software that can get files off a CF card that is
    >not recognized by the computer?
    >--David

    I don't have a solution to your problem, but I have noticed an
    interesting thing with my CF cards. I have 6 cards, all the same brand
    and size. They look identical and have almost identical markings.
    Still, I noticed Windows 'Plug-and-Pray' go through it's installation
    procedure more than once when I plugged the chips in for the first time.
    All together, it seemed to go through its setup process 3 different
    times before it settled down and never did it again.

    So, possibly, one of your chips 'looks' just slightly different to
    Windows for some reason and it doesn't quite know how to handle it.

    Sorry I can't offer any help...I just wanted to pass along my
    experience.

    Gary
    Gary Edstrom, Nov 19, 2006
  6. J David Ellis

    Chips Guest

    I've had problems with my computer reading cards when I was using USB ports
    that were not in the back of the computer. The cables that go from the
    motherboard to the front ports were not very good I guess.

    But the ports in the back are usually really well connected.

    Try that.

    GC

    Chips, Nov 19, 2006
  7. J David Ellis

    Wayne Guest

    Certain card readers simply not support to read card over 1 Gb. especially
    some card readers were made before the 2Gb card released to the market.

    Wayne, Nov 19, 2006
  8. In article <>, J David Ellis
    <> wrote:

    > Is there special
    > hardware/software that can get files off a CF card that is
    > not recognized by the computer?

    The card may have mysteriously been "toasted", but it may also have a
    bad directory. The prior suggestions are good, but sometimes you DO
    have to resort to "rescue" software. There are freeware and paid
    options. I'm on a Mac, so the titles I use may not help you; but I've
    used Sandisks own Rescue Pro to good effect.

    You may have to try more than one recovery program. Once when I HAD to
    recover files for a customer, third one was the charm.
    Scott Schuckert, Nov 19, 2006
  9. J David Ellis

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Scott Schuckert wrote:
    > In article <>, J David Ellis
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is there special
    >> hardware/software that can get files off a CF card that is
    >> not recognized by the computer?

    > The card may have mysteriously been "toasted", but it may also have a
    > bad directory. The prior suggestions are good, but sometimes you DO
    > have to resort to "rescue" software. There are freeware and paid
    > options. I'm on a Mac, so the titles I use may not help you; but I've
    > used Sandisks own Rescue Pro to good effect.
    >
    > You may have to try more than one recovery program. Once when I HAD to
    > recover files for a customer, third one was the charm.

    If the card isn't being recognized, recovery software isn't going to
    help much.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Nov 19, 2006
  10. In article <HJ%7h.3871$LH2.197@trndny04>, Dave Cohen <>
    wrote:

    > If the card isn't being recognized, recovery software isn't going to
    > help much.

    Maybe not; but I have had the experience of XP recognizing my card
    reader but not seeing the media when inserted. Taking the same card
    over to OSX, I was told the media was damaged and recovered it with a
    software tool. Your mileage may vary.
    Scott Schuckert, Nov 19, 2006
  11. J David Ellis

    Scubabix Guest

    MicroDrive Question (was Re: CF card not recognized by Windows XP

    If you didn't already know, the majority of camera manufacturers recommend
    you
    > always format your cards in the camera and not on your computer. I use
    > Canon DSLR's and never had a problem with this method except for a
    > microdrive which developed a bad sector but I was still able to get all
    > but one file off.

    I'm using a Canon EOS 30d. I understand the difference between a CF card
    and a microdrive. My question is, if I can get double the memory on a
    microdrive for the same price as a CF II card, why would I buy the card?
    I'd like to hear as many pros and cons about both if you don't mind.

    Rob
    Scubabix, Nov 20, 2006
  12. Re: MicroDrive Question (was Re: CF card not recognized by Windows XP

    "Scubabix" <> wrote:
    > I'm using a Canon EOS 30d. I understand the difference between a CF card
    > and a microdrive. My question is, if I can get double the memory on a
    > microdrive for the same price as a CF II card, why would I buy the card?
    > I'd like to hear as many pros and cons about both if you don't mind.

    Between the slower read/write speeds and the possibility of mechanical
    failure, I'd avoid microdrives. Sure, you can put up with those, but is it
    worth the money saved? It's your call. Also, look around; I read somewhere
    that 4GB CF card prices were dropping. (Not that that's new or surprising,
    of course. The only question is how cheap you can find a card at the point
    you need a card.)

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-8478

    Back when microdrives were a _lot_ cheaper per GB, I actually bought one
    (but only used it for transferring date between various computers, not as a
    camera card).

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Nov 20, 2006
  13. J David Ellis

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "Scubabix" <> wrote:
    >> I'm using a Canon EOS 30d. I understand the difference between a CF card
    >> and a microdrive. My question is, if I can get double the memory on a
    >> microdrive for the same price as a CF II card, why would I buy the card?
    >> I'd like to hear as many pros and cons about both if you don't mind.

    > Between the slower read/write speeds and the possibility of mechanical
    > failure, I'd avoid microdrives.

    I agree with this view. The microdrives are less
    robust.

    Phil
    Phil Wheeler, Nov 20, 2006
  14. J David Ellis

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 03:35:11 GMT, Phil Wheeler wrote:

    > David J. Littleboy wrote:
    >> "Scubabix" <> wrote:
    >>> I'm using a Canon EOS 30d. I understand the difference between a CF card
    >>> and a microdrive. My question is, if I can get double the memory on a
    >>> microdrive for the same price as a CF II card, why would I buy the card?
    >>> I'd like to hear as many pros and cons about both if you don't mind.

    >> Between the slower read/write speeds and the possibility of mechanical
    >> failure, I'd avoid microdrives.

    > I agree with this view. The microdrives are less
    > robust.

    Newer cameras such as the 30D probably won't have any problems
    using microdrives, but many older devices worked unreliably (if at
    all) with microdrives due to their greater power requirements. My
    old, small Powershots (S10/S20) warmed up noticeably with use, so I
    imagine that had I used a microdrive with them, they would have
    gotten hotter and battery life would have dropped from fair to poor.
    ASAAR, Nov 20, 2006
  15. J David Ellis

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Scubabix <> wrote:
    >I'm using a Canon EOS 30d. I understand the difference between a CF card
    >and a microdrive. My question is, if I can get double the memory on a
    >microdrive for the same price as a CF II card, why would I buy the card?
    >I'd like to hear as many pros and cons about both if you don't mind.

    Well, the suggestion that a Microdrive is going to go back becaus eyou
    bump it is nonsense. Speed on the 30d is also a non-issue unless you
    shoot a _lot_ of photos really quickly.

    Microdrives are cheaper. I have found that they can get unhappy if
    you use them for long periods non-stop. When I copy 3GB of photos
    onto my computer the card gets quite warm, and the one time I had one
    fail it was just after I finished such an operation. Hitachi replaced
    it without fuss (and doubled the capacity in the process) and I
    continue to use them.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Nov 20, 2006
  16. Re: MicroDrive Question (was Re: CF card not recognized by Windows XP

    "Ray Fischer" <> wrote:
    > Scubabix <> wrote:
    >>I'm using a Canon EOS 30d. I understand the difference between a CF card
    >>and a microdrive. My question is, if I can get double the memory on a
    >>microdrive for the same price as a CF II card, why would I buy the card?
    >>I'd like to hear as many pros and cons about both if you don't mind.

    > Well, the suggestion that a Microdrive is going to go back becaus eyou
    > bump it is nonsense. Speed on the 30d is also a non-issue unless you
    > shoot a _lot_ of photos really quickly.
    >
    > Microdrives are cheaper. I have found that they can get unhappy if
    > you use them for long periods non-stop. When I copy 3GB of photos
    > onto my computer the card gets quite warm, and the one time I had one
    > fail it was just after I finished such an operation. Hitachi replaced
    > it without fuss (and doubled the capacity in the process) and I
    > continue to use them.

    Unless I misread the page, a SanDisk Ultra II 4.0 GB is US$150 at Amazon.
    All of US$5.00 more than a microdrive.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Nov 20, 2006
  17. J David Ellis

    Ken Lucke Guest

    Re: MicroDrive Question (was Re: CF card not recognized by Windows XP

    In article <>, Scubabix
    <> wrote:

    > If you didn't already know, the majority of camera manufacturers recommend
    > you
    > > always format your cards in the camera and not on your computer. I use
    > > Canon DSLR's and never had a problem with this method except for a
    > > microdrive which developed a bad sector but I was still able to get all
    > > but one file off.

    > I'm using a Canon EOS 30d. I understand the difference between a CF card
    > and a microdrive. My question is, if I can get double the memory on a
    > microdrive for the same price as a CF II card, why would I buy the card?
    > I'd like to hear as many pros and cons about both if you don't mind.

    Pros for a microdrive are: more storage and cheaper for that large
    storage capacity. With the falling prices of flash cards, that's not
    going to be a big deal for very much longer, IMO.

    Cons for a microdrive are: slower read/write speed, requires more power
    to run (some card readers which are not powered won't pass enough power
    through the USB bus to actually power the card up) and so sucks your
    battery down faster, and because it is actually a tiny hard drive, is
    far more succeptable to shock damage, escpecially while in operation.

    Other than total failure, either card CAN still go bad (bad memory in
    the flash card, bad sectors in the hard drive card). Doesn't happen to
    either one very often. Bad sectors are probably slightly more frequent
    than bad memory.

    Personally, I shoot with a 6 gb microdrive all the time, backed up by
    several 1 gb flash cards for speed shooting, or when forgetting the
    microdrive in the reader at home (which happened just the other day -
    ::duh::). But I also do mainly landscape shots, very little action
    stuff, so a slower card is fine for me.

    I also have a battery operated portable 20 gb hard drive to dump things
    to if the 6 gb card gets full (doesn't happen very often, as I can get
    604 10.1 mp raw shots on the card at a time - with selection and
    dumping the obviously bad shots, that can last me at least two or three
    days in most circumstances).
    Ken Lucke, Nov 20, 2006
  18. J David Ellis

    Ray Fischer Guest

    David J. Littleboy <> wrote:

    >"Ray Fischer" <> wrote:
    >> Scubabix <> wrote:
    >>>I'm using a Canon EOS 30d. I understand the difference between a CF card
    >>>and a microdrive. My question is, if I can get double the memory on a
    >>>microdrive for the same price as a CF II card, why would I buy the card?
    >>>I'd like to hear as many pros and cons about both if you don't mind.

    >> Well, the suggestion that a Microdrive is going to go back becaus eyou
    >> bump it is nonsense. Speed on the 30d is also a non-issue unless you
    >> shoot a _lot_ of photos really quickly.
    >>
    >> Microdrives are cheaper. I have found that they can get unhappy if
    >> you use them for long periods non-stop. When I copy 3GB of photos
    >> onto my computer the card gets quite warm, and the one time I had one
    >> fail it was just after I finished such an operation. Hitachi replaced
    >> it without fuss (and doubled the capacity in the process) and I
    >> continue to use them.

    >Unless I misread the page, a SanDisk Ultra II 4.0 GB is US$150 at Amazon.
    >All of US$5.00 more than a microdrive.

    Amazon sells the 4GB microdrive for $130

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Nov 20, 2006
  19. J David Ellis

    Bob Williams Guest

    Ray Fischer wrote:
    > David J. Littleboy <> wrote:

    >>>Well, the suggestion that a Microdrive is going to go back becaus eyou
    >>>bump it is nonsense. Speed on the 30d is also a non-issue unless you
    >>>shoot a _lot_ of photos really quickly.
    >>>
    >>>Microdrives are cheaper. I have found that they can get unhappy if
    >>>you use them for long periods non-stop. When I copy 3GB of photos
    >>>onto my computer the card gets quite warm, and the one time I had one
    >>>fail it was just after I finished such an operation. Hitachi replaced
    >>>it without fuss (and doubled the capacity in the process) and I
    >>>continue to use them.

    >>Unless I misread the page, a SanDisk Ultra II 4.0 GB is US$150 at Amazon.
    >>All of US$5.00 more than a microdrive.

    > Amazon sells the 4GB microdrive for $130

    NewEgg.com has a 4GB Compact Flash Card (Speed 100X) for $70
    See:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ... Flash&Submit=ENE&N=0&Ntk=all&Go.x=17&Go.y=37

    And it got 5 star reviews from users
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Nov 20, 2006
  20. Re: MicroDrive Question (was Re: CF card not recognized by Windows XP

    >I'm using a Canon EOS 30d. I understand the difference between a CF card
    >and a microdrive. My question is, if I can get double the memory on a
    >microdrive for the same price as a CF II card, why would I buy the card?
    >I'd like to hear as many pros and cons about both if you don't mind.

    The CF card is more durable. You can probably throw your CF card
    against a wall and you'll still be able to get the pictures off the
    card. The same can't be said for a microdrive.

    I think the microdrive is also slower, which may or may not be an
    issue for you.

    -Joel

    Free custom Hanukah songsheets in Hebrew and English: http://liturgy.exc.com/
    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Nov 20, 2006