    I hold a CF Card and wonder. What's inside? How does it do do what it does? Why
    didn't I invent this thing? What next?

    I haven't taken my best picture yet.

    LEICA, Dec 20, 2004

  2. LEICA

    Ken Davey Guest

    LEICA wrote:
    > I hold a CF Card and wonder. What's inside? How does it do do what it
    > does? Why didn't I invent this thing? What next?
    >
    > I haven't taken my best picture yet.

    They are full of smoke.
    There is smoke and anti-smoke.
    The smoke remembers.
    The anti-smoke forgets.
    When the smoke gets out the card no longer works.

    Hope this helps.
    Ken.

    --
    http://www.rupert.net/~solar
    Return address supplied by 'spammotel'

    Ken Davey, Dec 20, 2004

  3. "Ken Davey" <> wrote in message
    > LEICA wrote:
    > > I hold a CF Card and wonder. What's inside? How does it do do what it
    > > does? Why didn't I invent this thing? What next?
    > >
    > > I haven't taken my best picture yet.

    > They are full of smoke.
    > There is smoke and anti-smoke.
    > The smoke remembers.
    > The anti-smoke forgets.
    > When the smoke gets out the card no longer works.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    > Ken.

    It surprises me how many people don't realize this! It's so obvious...all
    computers work with smoke....which is why when you see smoke escaping from
    the case the computer no longer works.

    Gene Palmiter, Dec 20, 2004
  4. LEICA

    Cynicor Guest

    "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote in message

    > "Ken Davey" <> wrote in message
    >> LEICA wrote:
    >> > I hold a CF Card and wonder. What's inside? How does it do do what it
    >> > does? Why didn't I invent this thing? What next?
    >> >
    >> > I haven't taken my best picture yet.

    >> They are full of smoke.
    >> There is smoke and anti-smoke.
    >> The smoke remembers.
    >> The anti-smoke forgets.
    >> When the smoke gets out the card no longer works.
    >>
    >> Hope this helps.
    >> Ken.
    >>

    > It surprises me how many people don't realize this! It's so obvious...all
    > computers work with smoke....which is why when you see smoke escaping from
    > the case the computer no longer works.

    Stop misleading the poor guy. CF cards are filled with memory juice.

    Cynicor, Dec 20, 2004
  5. LEICA

    Darrell Guest

    "Ken Davey" <> wrote in message
    > LEICA wrote:
    > > I hold a CF Card and wonder. What's inside? How does it do do what it
    > > does? Why didn't I invent this thing? What next?
    > >
    > > I haven't taken my best picture yet.

    > They are full of smoke.
    > There is smoke and anti-smoke.
    > The smoke remembers.
    > The anti-smoke forgets.
    > When the smoke gets out the card no longer works.

    Half right they contain smake and mirrors....

    ;)

    Be careful when you pry it open that you don't breach the dilithium matrix
    or risk core meltdown...

    Darrell, Dec 20, 2004
  6. LEICA

    somebody Guest

    All electronics also contain a varying amount of light (mostly
    consisting of sparks), and when the light and smoke
    gets out-- it won't work. I know from much experience!

    somebody, Dec 20, 2004
  7. LEICA

    Labrat Guest

    "Cynicor" <> wrote in message

    > "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Ken Davey" <> wrote in message

    >>> They are full of smoke.
    >>> There is smoke and anti-smoke.
    >>> The smoke remembers.
    >>> The anti-smoke forgets.
    >>> When the smoke gets out the card no longer works.
    >>>
    >>> Hope this helps.
    >>> Ken.
    >>>

    >> It surprises me how many people don't realize this! It's so obvious...all
    >> computers work with smoke....which is why when you see smoke escaping
    >> from
    >> the case the computer no longer works.

    > Stop misleading the poor guy. CF cards are filled with memory juice.

    Yes, but memory juice is impossible to find in this country. After
    literally minutes of exhaustive research I have found that blinker fluid,
    found at any well stocked auto parts store, can be substituted.

    Labrat, Dec 20, 2004
  8. LEICA

    Guest

    Kibo informs me that "Gene Palmiter" <> stated
    that:

    >"Ken Davey" <> wrote in message
    >> LEICA wrote:
    >> > I hold a CF Card and wonder. What's inside? How does it do do what it
    >> > does? Why didn't I invent this thing? What next?
    >> >
    >> > I haven't taken my best picture yet.

    >> They are full of smoke.
    >> There is smoke and anti-smoke.
    >> The smoke remembers.
    >> The anti-smoke forgets.
    >> When the smoke gets out the card no longer works.

    >It surprises me how many people don't realize this! It's so obvious...all
    >computers work with smoke....which is why when you see smoke escaping from
    >the case the computer no longer works.

    Yes, this is an electronics-industry axiom:
    <http://www.retrologic.com/jargon/M/magic-smoke.html>

    , Dec 20, 2004
  9. LEICA

    Rudy Benner Guest

    That smoke is also referred to as The Sweet Smell of Overtime.

    Rudy Benner, Dec 20, 2004
  10. In article <>,
    (LEICA) wrote:

    > I hold a CF Card and wonder. What's inside? How does it do do what it does?
    > Why
    > didn't I invent this thing? What next?
    >
    > I haven't taken my best picture yet.

    It's probably squares of silicon memory chips and interface chips
    cold-welded to thin ceramic circuit boards. Such circuits are usually
    sealed in black reinforced epoxy to protect against flexing and damage
    to the microscopic gold connector wires.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Dec 21, 2004