CES 2006 News: Toshiba Shows Off First HD-DVD Players.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Jan 5, 2006.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    http://hometheater.about.com/b/a/232792.htm

    January 04, 2006

    CES 2006 News: Toshiba Shows Off First HD-DVD Players
    Finally, concrete evidence thats HD-DVD will actually arrive on store
    shelves. Toshiba has presented two HD-DVD players, HD-XA1 and HD-A1 at
    CES. The two players will land on store shelves in March, 2006. Both
    models will play back HD-DVD discs at either 720p or 1080i through the
    HDMI connection interface. Both players will also be compatible with
    standard DVDs, with the ability to upscale standard DVDs to 720p or
    1080i. This means that not only will HD-DVDs look great on your HDTV,
    but so will standard DVDs. The HD-XA1 will have an MSRP of $799 and
    the HD-A1 will have an MSRP of $499.

    It must be noted that the HD-XA1 and HD-A1 are HD-DVD Players, they do
    not record. HD-DVD recorders will be announced at a later date.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Jan 5, 2006

  2. Allan

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 20:12:20 -0500, Allan
    <> Gave us:

    >http://hometheater.about.com/b/a/232792.htm
    >
    >January 04, 2006
    >
    >CES 2006 News: Toshiba Shows Off First HD-DVD Players
    >Finally, concrete evidence thats HD-DVD will actually arrive on store
    >shelves. Toshiba has presented two HD-DVD players, HD-XA1 and HD-A1 at
    >CES. The two players will land on store shelves in March, 2006. Both
    >models will play back HD-DVD discs at either 720p or 1080i through the
    >HDMI connection interface. Both players will also be compatible with
    >standard DVDs, with the ability to upscale standard DVDs to 720p or
    >1080i. This means that not only will HD-DVDs look great on your HDTV,
    >but so will standard DVDs. The HD-XA1 will have an MSRP of $799 and
    >the HD-A1 will have an MSRP of $499.
    >
    >It must be noted that the HD-XA1 and HD-A1 are HD-DVD Players, they do
    >not record. HD-DVD recorders will be announced at a later date.

    I'll bet that 20% of them fail within the first 18 months of use.
    Also that said failure will be the laser diode.

    This low MTBF is ALSO why there aren't any "recorders" yet.
    The higher powered diodes fail so fast, they haven't even made it out
    of the development labs yet.

    I wouldn't buy into this market for at least three years, until it
    proves itself. Especially not at those inflated prices. They want
    you to pay for their further research. Pretty lame, that.
    Roy L. Fuchs, Jan 5, 2006

  3. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 01:34:01 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs
    <> wrote:

    > I wouldn't buy into this market for at least three years, until it
    >proves itself. Especially not at those inflated prices. They want
    >you to pay for their further research. Pretty lame, that.

    Yeah.... $500 is inflated. Shut the **** up.

    My fav response:

    ">One thing that
    >was never considered is that there's a limited amount of digital
    >pixels available on earth, and they are quickly running out.

    The hall of souls will be calling on your lame ass soon as well,
    fuktard."

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Jan 5, 2006
  4. Allan

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 00:10:31 -0500, AllanTard
    <> Gave us:

    >On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 01:34:01 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >> I wouldn't buy into this market for at least three years, until it
    >>proves itself. Especially not at those inflated prices. They want
    >>you to pay for their further research. Pretty lame, that.

    >Yeah.... $500 is inflated. Shut the **** up.

    Considering that current DVD players are less than $200 for top
    performance, and that the "new" technology doesn't add anything
    special, yes, it is fairly bogus.

    From the way you spam this group, and many others, it is you that
    needs to shut the **** up, chuck.
    Roy L. Fuchs, Jan 5, 2006
  5. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 06:58:56 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs
    <> wrote:

    >>> I wouldn't buy into this market for at least three years, until it
    >>>proves itself. Especially not at those inflated prices. They want
    >>>you to pay for their further research. Pretty lame, that.

    >>Yeah.... $500 is inflated. Shut the **** up.
    >>

    > Considering that current DVD players are less than $200 for top
    >performance, and that the "new" technology doesn't add anything
    >special, yes, it is fairly bogus.

    "Fairly'? You are on crack. I paid $800 for my first DVD player...
    and it was far from a first generation unit.

    > From the way you spam this group, and many others, it is you that
    >needs to shut the **** up, chuck.

    The way you spout your hate and bullshit with every post it's time for
    you to crawl away like I told to do weeks ago.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Jan 5, 2006
  6. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    "Roy L. Fuchs" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 00:10:31 -0500, AllanTard
    > <> Gave us:
    >
    >>On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 01:34:01 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>> I wouldn't buy into this market for at least three years, until it
    >>>proves itself. Especially not at those inflated prices. They want
    >>>you to pay for their further research. Pretty lame, that.

    >>Yeah.... $500 is inflated. Shut the **** up.
    >>

    > Considering that current DVD players are less than $200 for top
    > performance, and that the "new" technology doesn't add anything
    > special,

    Does your extremely limited intelligence really mean this? How can you be
    so stupid? So blind? So unbelievably worthless?
    Alpha, Jan 6, 2006
  7. Allan

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 03:53:06 -0800, "Alpha" <> Gave us:

    >"Roy L. Fuchs" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 00:10:31 -0500, AllanTard
    >> <> Gave us:

    >>>Yeah.... $500 is inflated. Shut the **** up.
    >>>

    >> Considering that current DVD players are less than $200 for top
    >> performance, and that the "new" technology doesn't add anything
    >> special,

    >Does your extremely limited intelligence really mean this? How can you be
    >so stupid? So blind? So unbelievably worthless?

    Are you telling us that a few new chips and a laser diode should more
    than double the price? If so, it is you that is "so stupid".

    Of all the things for one to wait for a couple of iterations to flow
    through the masses before buying into it, this one has the most
    reasons to be waiting I've ever seen so far. I have seen a lot of
    different optical storage mediums over the decade. This one is very
    much in its infancy, and the makers are very much taking advantage of
    the "gotta have it now" consumers to fund the research and development
    to perfect it.

    No thanks... I'll wait.
    Roy L. Fuchs, Jan 6, 2006
  8. Allan

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 03:53:06 -0800, "Alpha" <> Gave us:

    >"Roy L. Fuchs" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 00:10:31 -0500, AllanTard
    >> <> Gave us:

    >>>Yeah.... $500 is inflated. Shut the **** up.
    >>>

    >> Considering that current DVD players are less than $200 for top
    >> performance, and that the "new" technology doesn't add anything
    >> special,

    >Does your extremely limited intelligence really mean this? How can you be
    >so stupid? So blind? So unbelievably worthless?

    From "Used Cars" as said by "Jeff"

    "We Blew the Shit out of that over priced Mother Fucker,
    just like we blow the Shit out of all high Prices,
    Down here at New Deal Used Cars" !!!

    Bwuahahahahaha!!!
    Roy L. Fuchs, Jan 6, 2006
  9. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    "Roy L. Fuchs" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 03:53:06 -0800, "Alpha" <> Gave us:
    >

    >>"Roy L. Fuchs" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 00:10:31 -0500, AllanTard
    >>> <> Gave us:

    >>> Considering that current DVD players are less than $200 for top
    >>> performance, and that the "new" technology doesn't add anything
    >>> special,

    >>Does your extremely limited intelligence really mean this? How can you be
    >>so stupid? So blind? So unbelievably worthless?
    >>

    > Are you telling us that a few new chips and a laser diode should more
    > than double the price? If so, it is you that is "so stupid".

    More stupidity....keep it up. You have no clue whatsoever.
    Alpha, Jan 7, 2006