Certs and HR people...does HR know anything about certs?

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Scott D, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. Scott D

    Scott D Guest

    1st off I'd like to say kudos and "about time" that a
    certification was developed for the largest staffing
    compliment within most large IT organisations, the
    helpdesk/desktop teams.

    Having said that, I see massive problems with this.

    For at least a decade the HR world has beaten into the
    heads of its non-technically inclined recruiters and
    account managers that you can't present a candidate to a
    15 dollar an hour IT job unless he/she has a valid MCSE
    (Engineering) cert. While we all appreciate the
    absolutely grotesque absurdity of a support tech needing
    an engineering cert based on their job description and
    career path having absolutely nothing at all to do with
    engineering, the fact remains that your employed IT
    Support people likely all have been forced to take, pay
    for and pass the MCSE requirements just to get a job.

    The HR world, moves slower than most as its staffed almost
    exclusively with non-IT career folks who know only what
    they read about in the news regarding IT certifications,
    qualifications and trends. Enter the MCSA certification.
    HURRAY!!!

    Finally something about Administering a network rather
    than how to build one. But do any HR people know about
    this? How many contract companies do you think are
    willing to admit that they've turned away qualified
    administrators and instead hired engineers for server
    admin, network Admin, LAN admin jobs based solely on
    thinking an MCSE was the holy-grail catch-all one required
    before getting one's resume looked at or indeed rescued
    from the trash can?

    Now we add a "Desktop Support" certification and might I
    also point out that for some reason the
    terminology "Desktop" seems to no longer be used.
    Apparently HR folks have re-labeled things as Helpdesk II
    or Helpdesk Support, or Support Analyst II etc... and when
    you mention the term "Desktop Support" they say things
    like "what's that?", or "never heard of that before",
    or "oh you mean helpdesk!"

    My main issue with this wonderful Cert which I applaud
    whole heartedly and look forward to getting is this: how
    many MCSE's are entrenched in Desktop Support... I
    mean, "helpdesk" positions who have been trained how to
    buil,d a network but not to administer or support one, and
    how many contract, staffing, sourcing firms are going to
    look at anyone without the sacred talisman and admit these
    shortcomings, opting to hire staff with this new unknown
    certification despite it being the defining qualifications
    test of a productive support analyst?

    Do we fire the MCSE's who are whoolly unskilled and
    untrained in supporting a network or a desktop environment
    being as they should have never been hired into support
    and instead placed into the Infrastructure divisions where
    their certifications would be valid, and replace the mis-
    employed by those with the right qualifications?

    Do we sit all the HR staffing people in a room and once
    and for all try to teach them who is qualified to do what
    and why and hope it actually sinks in being as these non-
    IT people are in complete control over who gets the
    interviews and who gets shunned?

    How does one correct the indoctrination that MCSE is all
    one needs to do anything IT related and disseminate new
    policy that actually makes sense to people who can't think
    for themselves and only look at resumes that contain "what
    the end client specifically asks for"?

    How do we re-educate the end clients all over the world
    about why their own hiring practices are costing them
    money and lowering their TCO strategies and present them
    with a cost effective TCO solution with "the right cert
    for the right task"?

    Maybe I just think too much, but I've done work at
    Building 25, at Texaco Corporate in Houston, been a NOC
    manager for a Chevron company and done training for a MS
    Atec and I still come up with almost every huge
    multinational telling me I either need an MCSE for some 14
    dollar an hour help desk job which is personally insulting
    to say the least; or when I apply to Admin jobs with the
    MCSA material I have taken they say things like "what's
    that?", or "the client wants an MCSE not whatever you
    have"? I get way too frustrated with IT managers who know
    nothing about IT but have management jobs simply because
    the group they used to manage over in finance, or sales,
    or some other non-tech related division downsized and
    he/she just happened to land in IT where they've managed
    to screw up the entire inner workings of business flow,
    productivity and have staffed with capable, but grossly
    mis-placed employees.

    Perhaps someone from MS or Volt redmond reading this would
    like to shoot me an email and let me know what I can do to
    help.

    I live in Ontario Canada and was just offered a position
    with Volt in Toronto for 17 bucks an hour doing phone
    support work for MS SMS. Tell me that isn't insulting
    considering I'm a seasoned US Fortune 100 IT Manager.

    Is there anyone out there who can tell me how these new
    Certs will work for me or how I can drive the re-education
    of the HR people? I'll step up to the plate and run with
    it. Anyone want to help me to help us all?

    Anyone?

    Scott D, Oct 27, 2003