    that IT certifications are correlating less and less with salaries--indeed,
    overall, they might now be worth less than nothing. But that survey would
    be in the US. Anybody have a feel for the NZ situation?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 4, 2006

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > This report <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2051272,00.asp> states
    > that IT certifications are correlating less and less with salaries--indeed,
    > overall, they might now be worth less than nothing. But that survey would
    > be in the US. Anybody have a feel for the NZ situation?

    My personal opinion is that in NZ at least, there is still too much
    emphasis being placed on industry qualifications, in particular MCSE.

    Many jobs advertise an MCSE as a requirement, but given every MCSE I
    know knows less about IT than I do, and more often than not nothing
    about *nix, I can't see why.

    Fortunately I have almost zero interest in that type of work, but those
    idiots running the MS infrastructure cause the rest of us problems.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Nov 4, 2006

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 22:14:09 +1300, The Other Guy <>
    exclaimed:

    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> This report <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2051272,00.asp> states
    >> that IT certifications are correlating less and less with salaries--indeed,
    >> overall, they might now be worth less than nothing. But that survey would
    >> be in the US. Anybody have a feel for the NZ situation?

    >My personal opinion is that in NZ at least, there is still too much
    >emphasis being placed on industry qualifications, in particular MCSE.
    >
    >Many jobs advertise an MCSE as a requirement, but given every MCSE I
    >know knows less about IT than I do, and more often than not nothing
    >about *nix, I can't see why.

    For most organisations, *nix doesn't matter.

    And the thing is, there are a lot of garage-band "IT Consultants" in
    New Zealand - people that talk the talk, but really can't walk the
    walk. Whilst the lack of an MCSE does not mean that someone is no good
    at server management etc, having one shows a certain level of
    technical ability over and above the cowboy hackers out there.

    >Fortunately I have almost zero interest in that type of work, but those
    >idiots running the MS infrastructure cause the rest of us problems.

    Ha.
    Fred Dagg, Nov 4, 2006
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:

    > My personal opinion is that in NZ at least, there is still too much
    > emphasis being placed on industry qualifications, in particular MCSE.
    >
    > Many jobs advertise an MCSE as a requirement, but given every MCSE I
    > know knows less about IT than I do, and more often than not nothing
    > about *nix, I can't see why.
    >
    > Fortunately I have almost zero interest in that type of work, but those
    > idiots running the MS infrastructure cause the rest of us problems.

    They have to have a certain percentage of qualified people to be able to
    use some of the MS logos on promotional material, so even tho the person
    may be incompotent, the qualification allows the company to land jobs
    they otherwise wouldnt get
    Richard, Nov 4, 2006
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    thingy Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > This report <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2051272,00.asp> states
    > that IT certifications are correlating less and less with salaries--indeed,
    > overall, they might now be worth less than nothing. But that survey would
    > be in the US. Anybody have a feel for the NZ situation?

    Cause of the change in what is needed, a tech cert is useless without
    the business savvy....."they want business-articulate IT pros". These
    days they recognize that IT has to support the business and has to
    prioritize itself along business's priorities....or its doomed....

    Also the certs are just one way to do the job....lots of so called
    certified engineers I have met, can only do it the way and using that
    vendors products and methods...if there is no close match to business
    need tough........

    Of course the tech is getting more and more complex and tech certs more
    and more expensive yet becoming more and more marketing ploys....I'm
    dammed if I'm paying over $1200 a day on a course to spend 1 to 2 hours
    listening to how great the future products will be and how great the
    company is....if it gets much worse, I will recommend to payments not to
    pay all the course fee...

    So tech certs are becoming less and less relevant...

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Nov 4, 2006
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    thingy Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > The Other Guy wrote:
    >
    >> My personal opinion is that in NZ at least, there is still too much
    >> emphasis being placed on industry qualifications, in particular MCSE.
    >>
    >> Many jobs advertise an MCSE as a requirement, but given every MCSE I
    >> know knows less about IT than I do, and more often than not nothing
    >> about *nix, I can't see why.
    >>
    >> Fortunately I have almost zero interest in that type of work, but
    >> those idiots running the MS infrastructure cause the rest of us problems.

    > They have to have a certain percentage of qualified people to be able to
    > use some of the MS logos on promotional material, so even tho the person
    > may be incompotent, the qualification allows the company to land jobs
    > they otherwise wouldnt get

    Only as consultants....we have MS people, we dont care about MS
    certs...because we are a end user....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Nov 4, 2006