Certification

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by Shima, Feb 15, 2007.

  1. Shima

    Shima Guest

    Hi,

    I left software engineering field 5 years ago and now I’m trying to get back
    on track. I decided to get MCAD (C# route) certification. This is my first
    time on getting a professional certification from Microsoft. FYI I’ve started
    the CBT (computer based training) about a month ago and at this moment I’m
    studying the 70-316 exam topics.

    My questions are:
    1. Would you suggest that I wait till I’m familiar with all the MCAD topics
    before I go and sit for any of the exams? If that’s a good idea, I’m planning
    to take the 70-316 soon and the other 2 (315 & 320) much much later. What is
    the longest gap that they would allow me to have before I take the other
    ones? Do I have to take all three of these exams within a period of time?

    2. If I fail the exam (knock on wood) I have to pay the full price to retake
    the exam, right? Can I retake it the very next day or that 14-day grace
    period is applicable to first, second, third failures? Again, knock on wood,
    hard:)

    3. Once I’ve passed the 3 exams, can I take the other 2 exams anytime (one
    core and 1 elective) to qualify for MCSD certification?

    Thanks!

    Shima, Feb 15, 2007

  2. My answers below:

    "Shima" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I left software engineering field 5 years ago and now I’m trying to get back
    > on track. I decided to get MCAD (C# route) certification. This is my first
    > time on getting a professional certification from Microsoft. FYI I’ve started
    > the CBT (computer based training) about a month ago and at this moment I’m
    > studying the 70-316 exam topics.
    >
    > My questions are:
    > 1. Would you suggest that I wait till I’m familiar with all the MCAD topics
    > before I go and sit for any of the exams? If that’s a good idea, I’m planning
    > to take the 70-316 soon and the other 2 (315 & 320) much much later. What is
    > the longest gap that they would allow me to have before I take the other
    > ones? Do I have to take all three of these exams within a period of time?

    You can take the exams at any time you want. I waited two years between my
    first exam and the others for my MCSD. (I was hoping for an employer who
    would pay for them, but couldn't find one that would hire me.) Unlike college
    courses, which are usually valid for only seven years towards a degree,
    certification exams do not expire.
    In regards to familiarity, do not take an exam until you know how to do all
    of the items listed in the "skills being measured" section of that exam's
    Preparation Guide.

    > 2. If I fail the exam (knock on wood) I have to pay the full price to retake
    > the exam, right? Can I retake it the very next day or that 14-day grace
    > period is applicable to first, second, third failures? Again, knock on wood,
    > hard:)

    Microsoft now offers "exam insurance," which will provide for a free retake
    if you are willing to spend a lot more money for the first exam. You can go
    to www.examinsurance.com if you want more information. For me, it would not
    be worth the extra cost because I won't take an exam I have to pay for unless
    I am certain that I will pass it. It doesn't cost you anything to reschedule
    an exam if you are not ready. I also never pay full price for an exam.
    In regards to retakes, you can take the first retake anytime you want, even
    the next day. If you fail that, then you must wait fourteen days between
    successive retakes. This is supposedly to slow down braindumpers who memorize
    questions, but since these people can just silently set their camera-phones
    at the computer screens to get the questions, it's main effect is to force
    honest people who really don't know the topic to spend an extra two weeks
    studying for it. Not a bad thing in my opinion.

    > 3. Once I’ve passed the 3 exams, can I take the other 2 exams anytime (one
    > core and 1 elective) to qualify for MCSD certification?

    Yes - in fact I would recommend that you take the required exams first and
    the elective last. Look, for example, at MCSE on Windows NT 4 - some of the
    elective exams are still available, but the required exams have all been
    retired. If a person took the required exams first, they would still have a
    shot at getting their MCSE (even if they took the required exams over seven
    years ago!), but if they took their electives first, they are now out of luck.

    > Thanks!

    You're welcome - good luck on your exams.

    LarryWestMCSD, Feb 16, 2007