    about the posibility of failure. I have the Microsoft Press book - which I
    actually like a lot (and I hate to read) and I don't know if it is enough.
    Perhaps it is just my nerves though :)
    Robert Conrad, May 13, 2008

  2. Robert Conrad

    John R Guest

    "Robert Conrad" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hey all!
    >
    > I recently graduated from Michigan State University and I'm looking to pad
    > my resume with a few MS certifications before going out into the IT job
    > market. I have the 70-620: Vista Configuration exam scheduled for this
    > Wednesday, (I've been studying for a good 2 weeks now - pretty straight
    > forward) and I'm pretty sure that I'll pass. Anyways, if I do succeed
    > with the exam, will I get both the MCP and MCTS title? Does this also
    > mean that if I pass 70-622 that I become an MCITP?
    >
    > I'm new to newsgroups, so I apologize if this post is off-topic or against
    > newsgroup norms.
    >
    > Also, any hints on how to calm my nerves about this exam. I'm stressing
    > about the posibility of failure. I have the Microsoft Press book - which
    > I actually like a lot (and I hate to read) and I don't know if it is
    > enough. Perhaps it is just my nerves though :)

    Hi Robert,

    Welcome to the newsgroup.

    First piece of advice. You're young, just out of college, your whole life
    in front of you, and you're thinking about getting into IT? Run. Run as
    fast as your legs can carry you. Get a girlfriend. Have a life. Look into
    selling hot dogs at the local stadium. IT is a geeky life, the technology
    rolls over every 4 to 6 years. You'll sit at a desk and review log files 4
    to 6 hours every day of your life. You'll need glasses in 3 to 6 years.
    Run. Run now, go on, get going, don't look back, go!!!

    Oh well, you're not listening. Ok...

    70-620 will not grant MCP status, but it will grant MCTS - Vista Config.
    And, yes, if you further pass 70-622, that will give you MCITP - Enterprise
    Support Technician.

    I have, in the past, used the Microsoft Press book as the only study
    material prior to taking tests, and passed. However, I had lots and lots of
    actual experience in the study area. For example, I have been both a system
    admin and helpdesk team member for my company for years. The experience
    helped me much more than the books because I had actually worked through the
    scenarios over and over again.

    Folks around here will tell you that certifications are all about certifying
    experience. However, more and more employers are requiring them for that
    first job, something that doesn't make sense from a purist point of view.

    At any rate, you should review the exam objectives. See the 'Skills
    Measured' section on this page...
    Those are the skills you will actually be tested on.

    As to the nerves, it's just a test. If you have graduated from MSU,
    (congrats, btw) you certainly have taken one or two of those in the past.
    Just get out your test taking skills. Get a good nights sleeep, arrive a
    little early, use the facilities, have a good meal about an hour before (but
    no burritos or anything that might give you stomach trouble), in other
    words, don't let other things distract you during the test. When you are
    unclear or uncertain, reread the question looking for keywords, try to
    eliminate distractor answers, etc, etc. You will have plenty of time so
    don't let that little clock in the corner of the screen bother you. In the
    end, if you know the material, you'll do fine, and if you don't, well you'll
    have the test experience to take home.

    Best of luck to you.

    John R
    John R, May 13, 2008

  3. "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote in message

    > Hi Robert,
    >
    > Welcome to the newsgroup.
    >
    > First piece of advice. You're young, just out of college, your whole life
    > in front of you, and you're thinking about getting into IT? Run. Run as
    > fast as your legs can carry you. Get a girlfriend. Have a life. Look
    > into selling hot dogs at the local stadium. IT is a geeky life, the
    > technology rolls over every 4 to 6 years. You'll sit at a desk and review
    > log files 4 to 6 hours every day of your life. You'll need glasses in 3
    > to 6 years. Run. Run now, go on, get going, don't look back, go!!!
    >
    > Oh well, you're not listening. Ok...
    >
    > 70-620 will not grant MCP status, but it will grant MCTS - Vista Config.
    > And, yes, if you further pass 70-622, that will give you MCITP -
    > Enterprise Support Technician.
    >
    > I have, in the past, used the Microsoft Press book as the only study
    > material prior to taking tests, and passed. However, I had lots and lots
    > of actual experience in the study area. For example, I have been both a
    > system admin and helpdesk team member for my company for years. The
    > experience helped me much more than the books because I had actually
    > worked through the scenarios over and over again.
    >
    > Folks around here will tell you that certifications are all about
    > certifying experience. However, more and more employers are requiring
    > them for that first job, something that doesn't make sense from a purist
    > point of view.
    >
    > At any rate, you should review the exam objectives. See the 'Skills
    > Measured' section on this page...
    > http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-620.mspx
    > Those are the skills you will actually be tested on.
    >
    > As to the nerves, it's just a test. If you have graduated from MSU,
    > (congrats, btw) you certainly have taken one or two of those in the past.
    > Just get out your test taking skills. Get a good nights sleeep, arrive a
    > little early, use the facilities, have a good meal about an hour before
    > (but no burritos or anything that might give you stomach trouble), in
    > other words, don't let other things distract you during the test. When
    > you are unclear or uncertain, reread the question looking for keywords,
    > try to eliminate distractor answers, etc, etc. You will have plenty of
    > time so don't let that little clock in the corner of the screen bother
    > you. In the end, if you know the material, you'll do fine, and if you
    > don't, well you'll have the test experience to take home.
    >
    > Best of luck to you.
    >
    > John R

    Thanks for the response John!

    I'm slightly bummed that I won't be getting the MCP certification as I had
    been previously expecting. Oh well... I'm unsure which track I should be
    going down. I was thinking about MCSA Windows Server 2003 because I have
    little experience with servers and I'm positive that being knowledgable in
    that area is a must. I'm also going to - correct me if I'm wrong - assume
    that passing either 70-290 or 70-291 will bring along an MCP certification
    as well as core exam requirements? I'm just incredibly confused by the
    statement, "Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) candidates are required
    to pass one current Microsoft Certification exam* -- A current exam is any
    exam that has not been retired." I guess I'm fixated on the MCP part simply
    because I don't see employers seeking MCTS candidates on job requirements.
    I'm not sure if I should take one of those before tackling the 70-622 for
    MCITP certification.

    I may be a newbie when it comes to the certification and track know-how, but
    I'm well aware of what I may be getting myself into :)
    Robert Conrad, May 13, 2008
  4. Robert Conrad

    > Thanks for the response John!
    >
    > I'm slightly bummed that I won't be getting the MCP certification as I had
    > been previously expecting. Oh well... I'm unsure which track I should be
    > going down. I was thinking about MCSA Windows Server 2003 because I have
    > little experience with servers and I'm positive that being knowledgable in
    > that area is a must. I'm also going to - correct me if I'm wrong - assume
    > that passing either 70-290 or 70-291 will bring along an MCP certification
    > as well as core exam requirements? I'm just incredibly confused by the
    > statement, "Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) candidates are required
    > to pass one current Microsoft Certification exam* -- A current exam is any
    > exam that has not been retired." I guess I'm fixated on the MCP part
    > simply because I don't see employers seeking MCTS candidates on job
    > requirements. I'm not sure if I should take one of those before tackling
    > the 70-622 for MCITP certification.
    >
    > I may be a newbie when it comes to the certification and track know-how,
    > but I'm well aware of what I may be getting myself into :)

    Yea, it is confusing. Up until last year, that statement was correct.
    Passing any exam did get you MCP. However, with the new generation of
    certifications, that is the MCTS and MCITP, MCP is no longer a given. So,
    the way it works now is that if it is related to a new certification (such
    as those Vista and Server 2008 related exams) that bring MCTS or MCITP, then
    it does not grant MCP. If it is related to XP, Server 2003, or prior, and
    does not specifically grant MCTS or MCITP, then it will be an MCP exam. I
    know, very confusing, even for some of us that are used to it now.

    If you pursue MCSA on 2003, then yes, you'll also need 70-290, 70-291, and
    an elective. Passing any of those will bring MCP status. This is part of
    the reason Microsoft wants to leave MCP status behind. MCP doesn't tell you
    anything about the individual. Their test could have been on SQL and if you
    don't use SQL, what's the advantage of hiring that particular MCP? The new
    certs, like MCTS - Vista Config tells the employer straight out what they
    know. If the employer needs help with Vista boxes in their environment,
    then a MCTS - Vista Config is going to be a better match than a MCTS -
    Server 2008 Config.

    I don't think employers are asking for MCTS or MCITP credentials yet because
    they don't understand them themselves yet, and also they are pretty new.
    Although I am sure there are some MCITP - Enterprise Administrators out
    there, I'll bet there's not too many, and certainly not enough to demand
    that as a job requirement.

    As to which track, that's going to have to be your call. I certainly see
    value in XP and Server 2003 for a long time to come (more so with Server
    2003). But if you want to work for a cutting edge company, they may have
    already moved to Server 2008 and won't care about your MCSA on 2003, they
    will be looking for MCITP - System Administrator, or MCITP - Enterprise
    Administrator. My company only recently moved from an NT domain to a 2003
    domain, so I think they will be on 2003 for years.

    Again, best of luck to you.

    John R
    John R, May 13, 2008
  5. "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote in message

> [...]

    > a MCTS - Server 2008 Config.
    >
    > I don't think employers are asking for MCTS or MCITP credentials yet
    > because they don't understand them themselves yet, and also they are
    > pretty new. Although I am sure there are some MCITP - Enterprise
    > Administrators out there, I'll bet there's not too many, and certainly not
    > enough to demand that as a job requirement.
    >
    > As to which track, that's going to have to be your call. I certainly see
    > value in XP and Server 2003 for a long time to come (more so with Server
    > 2003). But if you want to work for a cutting edge company, they may have
    > already moved to Server 2008 and won't care about your MCSA on 2003, they
    > will be looking for MCITP - System Administrator, or MCITP - Enterprise
    > Administrator. My company only recently moved from an NT domain to a 2003
    > domain, so I think they will be on 2003 for years.

    John,

    Have you found that while completing the practice tests on the included CD
    that some of the answers are actually wrong? I have run into this twice,
    one with windows Firewall import/export policies, and one with backup and
    restore items. I would post both questions here but I'm pretty sure that
    would violate copyright laws. I just dont want to ingrain something into my
    memory bank that is incorrect.
    Robert Conrad, May 13, 2008
  6. Robert Conrad

    > John,
    >
    > Have you found that while completing the practice tests on the included CD
    > that some of the answers are actually wrong? I have run into this twice,
    > one with windows Firewall import/export policies, and one with backup and
    > restore items. I would post both questions here but I'm pretty sure that
    > would violate copyright laws. I just dont want to ingrain something into
    > my memory bank that is incorrect.

    Yes, ocassionally there are mistakes. You might be able to request an
    update, or check microsoft's website for errata to both the book and the cd.
    They were developed by humans (fortunately) and probably rushed to market
    just like everything else. I haven't run the readiness review for 70-620
    yet, although I am nearing that point.

    John R
    John R, May 13, 2008
  7. I passed my certification test today... sadly with a 769/1000, but whatever,
    passing is passing :)
    Robert Conrad, May 14, 2008
  8. Robert Conrad

    >I passed my certification test today... sadly with a 769/1000, but
    >whatever, passing is passing :)

    Don't assume the "/1000". That is not a given. Each test is scored
    independently, and then that score is converted to Microsoft's standard
    scale where 700 or better is pass. You may have actually answered 99%
    correct.

    The important thing is that you passed, that is all that matters.

    Congrats, BTW

    John R
    John R, May 14, 2008
  9. Hi all,
    Regarding the MCP and MCTS, i have confirmed that the exam Grants you MCP
    status and MCTS, you earn both
    Kind Regards
    Gareth

    G.R Smith. CCNA., Jul 17, 2008
  10. "G.R Smith. CCNA." <> wrote in message

    > Hi all,
    > Regarding the MCP and MCTS, i have confirmed that the exam Grants you MCP
    > status and MCTS, you earn both
    > Kind Regards
    > Gareth
    >
    > "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote in message
    >

    > > "Robert Conrad" <> wrote in message

    > >>I passed my certification test today... sadly with a 769/1000, but
    > >>whatever, passing is passing :)

    > > Don't assume the "/1000". That is not a given. Each test is scored
    > > independently, and then that score is converted to Microsoft's standard
    > > scale where 700 or better is pass. You may have actually answered 99%
    > > correct.
    > >
    > > The important thing is that you passed, that is all that matters.
    > >
    > > Congrats, BTW
    > >
    > > John R

    Technically anyone who holds a Microsoft certification is considered a
    Microsoft Certified Professional.

    But does this really matter? You're only getting one certification: MCTS

    --
    Michael D. Alligood, MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST, A+
    The I.T. Classroom Blog - http://www.theitclassroom.com
    Michael D. Alligood, Jul 17, 2008
  11. Robert Conrad

    John R Guest

    > Hi all,
    > Regarding the MCP and MCTS, i have confirmed that the exam Grants you MCP
    > status and MCTS, you earn both
    > Kind Regards
    > Gareth

    Can you source a Microsoft page that says you get MCP for 70-620? I agree
    with Michael that it's kind of a moot point, but the page I quoted clearly
    says...

    When you pass Exam 70-620: TS: Configuring Microsoft Windows Vista Client,
    you complete the requirements for the following certification(s):
    a.. Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS): Windows Vista,
    Configuration

    It says nothing about MCP. I'm not trying to be a hard-arse or anything,
    but if MCP and MCTS were the same thing, one of them would not exist. MCP
    does not expire, MCTS does. I can find no link anywhere that says you can
    get both MCP and MCTS for any one exam.

    John R
    John R, Jul 18, 2008
  12. Robert Conrad

    nasseer Guest

    I would not expect many of a type of questions such as simulations.but if
    you revised well that may not be a prob.
    The thing i want to know is that what is the total scoring for the 64
    questions

    nasseer, Sep 29, 2008