    BJ
    --
    Legacy Programmer trying to upgrade to .net
    neojoneswd, Sep 25, 2007

  2. In what country are you? If they actually told you that age was one of the
    reasons they did not hire you, and you are over 40 and in the United States,
    then you could have legal recourse against them. I would contact AARP, the
    Legal Aid Society, your congressperson's office, or even the ACLU if this is
    the case.

    One of the reasons I became certified is that my Masters Degree is in
    Divinity (actually I have an M.Div. in Languages, from probably the only
    school that offered it) and I was tired of people asking if I would go back
    to preaching if I ever got a chance. (I would, but I could never tell them
    that.) Once I earned a couple of certifications, no one asks me that anymore.

    Certifications will help you because it will give the prospective employer
    something to focus on rather than on your old experience and education. It
    also shows them that you are planning on staying in this business.

    What I would recommend is this:
    1. Go through each of the exams' preparation guide, look through the "skills
    being measured" section, and determine which exam you already know the most
    about. A list of exams is available at
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/prepare/examresults.aspx?orderby=ID
    2. Take that exam, regardless of what it is, and unless you've chosen
    70-536, you will then become a Microsoft Certified Professional. Once you
    pass one exam, the remaining exams seem to be a lot easier. I've posted my
    study tips on some other newsgroups postings, if you need them.
    3. In regards to taking MCAD/MCPD vs. MCTS/MCPD, we are almost at the point
    now where they are both equal, although more employers are more familiar with
    the MCAD/MCSD, and that certification lasts forever, rather than timing out
    like the MCTS/MCPD do. On the other hand, saying that I'm one of only 663
    people who are MCPD:Windows feels kind of special.
    4. Find a volunteer organization that needs help, and assist them. I
    currently work with a non-profit organization, and helped them so much that I
    was chosen to be on the Board of Directors. (If it were not for me, a
    Constitutional Amendment our organization supported would not have even
    gotten on the ballot.) Not only will you gain possible contacts (networking),
    but you will earn a couple of references that see your experience with
    current technology, which can only help you get a full-time job. If you don't
    know of any such organizations, I would recommend that you contact the United
    Way (or your country's equivalent), and tell them your situation. Who knows,
    there might be an organization that needs to have their programs re-written
    from COBOL to C# or VB .Net that you might help.
    5. Speaking of which, if I were you, that's where I would specialize in.
    There are not that many people familiar with both COBOL and .Net, but there
    is a need for converting and/or maintaining legacy code out there. If you can
    do both, then you shouldn't have many problems finding a job (although
    perhaps not in your city).
    6. In regards to modern languages, I would recommend learning both VB .Net
    and C#, with emphasis on the latter if you want to deal more with Web
    development.

    Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

    LarryWestMCSD, Sep 26, 2007

  3. neojoneswd

    Ahmed Guest

    Heloo LarryWestMCSD,

    This is goos post, it's really useful.
    As you said, can you post your study tips here that you mentioned you posted
    them in another group. That will be great.

    Also i had post question, under "MCAD Developer" , wish if you can helping
    me by answer it.
    That
    Ahmed

    Ahmed, Sep 26, 2007