    but a ball park figure would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Dave Marden

    Dave Marden, Jan 17, 2004

  2. Dave Marden

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    > I am planning to work towards my MCSE, and was wondering if I would be
    > smart to wait till long horn certification comes out, and when it will be
    > coming out. Currently I plan to start working on it for Windows Server
    > 2003. From what I understand it will only be 2 additional test to acquire
    > longhorn if you have a 2003 certification.

    While I'm quite certain that MS will have certs for Longhorn, that's still a
    few years away. If you'd like to put off jumping into the IT business for 3
    or so years, then by all means, wait. The IT industry is rather saturated
    right now as it is, so you might be better off waiting. No offense, but it's
    hard enough for qualified people to find jobs, so you'll be doing everyone a
    favor by staying out until the market comes around again. With any luck, the
    world economy will continue it's recovery for years to come. Until then,
    (and still, no offense!) I suggest you wait, and find a more lucrative
    profession to dive into.

    > I would also like to know how long I can expect it to take to acquire
    > the certifications. I understand that it varies from one person to the

    next
    > but a ball park figure would be appreciated.

    MCSE is not an entry level cert. It can take years before one attains it.
    Some never do - they may stop at MCSA, or not even that. If you have
    extensive experience with the product (read: not 2 weeks reading a Sybex
    book), you could probably pass a few of the tests quite easily and in a
    timely fashion. Exams such as 216 may take quite a bit more time and effort
    studying and using Win2K (or 2003, whatever you're studying for). So
    basically - I can't give you a definite time frame. It's all up to the
    individual. Although it could range from all 7 exams in a matter of a couple
    months, to only getting 4 done over the course of 5 years. Depends on your
    interest level, skill, time spent studying, time using the product, etc.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "'I'm going to the bar now' thug" #26

    ---
    Virus? In the computer? Are you serious?

    Ken Briscoe, Jan 17, 2004

  3. Dave Marden

    Dave Marden Guest

    Really, I just read an article in Windows.net and they were talking about
    some people waiting for the longhorn exams. I feel kind of goofy to ask
    such a question if it is going to take that long. As for saturating the
    market, I'm not and will not be in the market looking for a job, rather I
    just want to get the certification to further myself for personal reasons so
    I will not be taking anyones job. I have been messing around quite a bit
    with Windows and Programming for about 12 years solid, and at times I feel
    like i don't know crap compared to many people out there that are actually
    in the business, so I recently purchased Windows Small Business Server
    Premium for use in my home. The problem is, I am realizing how little I
    really know about many of the subjects so I am looking to further myself.

    Thanks,
    Dave Marden

    Dave Marden, Jan 17, 2004