    Is it best to take both? what would get me into a job quicker? what would
    get me a better salary?

    UP.S. Does Mike Meyers still hang out here?
    Ben, Aug 16, 2004

  2. Ben

    Jamco Guest

    The certification is pretty much useless if you don't have any experience.
    If you get a diploma in something thats kind of hands on, then get some
    certification afterwards, you'll be in OK shape.
    I would suggest getting a+, network+ before college, get a feel for it, see
    which areas you like, then take a 2-4 year college course, then work on some
    certifications, and expect to make $10-$12/hr when you graduate with no
    experience

    Jamco, Aug 16, 2004

  3. Ben

    Brian M. Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > Jamco wrote:
    >
    > > The certification is pretty much useless if you don't have any

    experience.
    > > If you get a diploma in something thats kind of hands on, then get some
    > > certification afterwards, you'll be in OK shape.
    > > I would suggest getting a+, network+ before college, get a feel for it,

    see
    > > which areas you like, then take a 2-4 year college course, then work on

    some
    > > certifications, and expect to make $10-$12/hr when you graduate with no
    > > experience

    > Expect more than that if you go into computer science or computer
    > engineering. $40 to $50 k is about average for a graduating senior.
    > Dunno about MIS degree.
    >
    > michael

    I have a 4 year degree (BA in Philosophy/Honors) and A+ and Net+ certs,
    working on MCP in WinXP. I have been fixing computers for myself and family
    for 6 years. I have been looking for an entry level job in Columbus, Ohio
    for 2 months now and haven't had a single bite on a resume. I don't know how
    everyone else is doing it, but if there are any tips on where to find a job
    to acually get experience I'd be happy to hear it. Until I get a job I kind
    of feel like the certifications are some kind of inside joke that allow
    CompTIA and McGraw-Hill to make a bunch of money off people.

    Brian
    Brian M., Aug 17, 2004
  4. "Brian M." <> wrote in message

    > "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > > Jamco wrote:
    > >
    > > > The certification is pretty much useless if you don't have any

    > experience.
    > > > If you get a diploma in something thats kind of hands on, then get

    some
    > > > certification afterwards, you'll be in OK shape.
    > > > I would suggest getting a+, network+ before college, get a feel for

    it,
    > see
    > > > which areas you like, then take a 2-4 year college course, then work

    on
    > some
    > > > certifications, and expect to make $10-$12/hr when you graduate with

    no
    > > > experience

    > > Expect more than that if you go into computer science or computer
    > > engineering. $40 to $50 k is about average for a graduating senior.
    > > Dunno about MIS degree.
    > >
    > > michael

    > I have a 4 year degree (BA in Philosophy/Honors) and A+ and Net+ certs,
    > working on MCP in WinXP. I have been fixing computers for myself and

    family
    > for 6 years. I have been looking for an entry level job in Columbus, Ohio
    > for 2 months now and haven't had a single bite on a resume. I don't know

    how
    > everyone else is doing it, but if there are any tips on where to find a

    job
    > to acually get experience I'd be happy to hear it. Until I get a job I

    kind
    > of feel like the certifications are some kind of inside joke that allow
    > CompTIA and McGraw-Hill to make a bunch of money off people.
    >
    > Brian

    Get out of OHIO... I live in cleveland... appearantly Ohio is not a tech
    friendly state..
    but then when you have the mass of unemployed people we have any job opening
    is
    going to the lowest bidder anyway....

    <BONEHEAD>
    «bonehead;\), Aug 17, 2004
  5. Ben

    ap Guest

    A degree always wins. A four year college degree shows that you are able to
    learn complex subjects in less than sixteen weeks. A cert show you are able
    to learn at no specific pace, just show up and take a test after paying.

    ap, Aug 17, 2004