    safely?

    Thanks--

    Zac

    Help, Please., Jan 27, 2004

  2. Help, Please.

    °Mike° Guest

    Visit Windows Update.
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:18:43 -0600, in
    <KTjRb.16165$>
    Help, Please. scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 27, 2004

  3. "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Visit Windows Update.
    > http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    >

    > On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:18:43 -0600, in
    > <KTjRb.16165$>
    > Help, Please. scrawled:
    >
    > >Hey--
    > >
    > >I am thinking about doing my taxes online... and I got to looking at the
    > >certificates that were stored on my system through Internet
    > >certificates" tab. There are many in there from sites I do not know, and
    > >many of them are expired. Can I delete both types of these certificates
    > >safely?
    > >
    > >Thanks--
    > >
    > >Zac
    > >

    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    I didn't see your reasoning in the lengthy reply you posted... so I'll ask
    why. According to Windows Update, I've been up-to-date with all software
    updates. I visit it once a month or so. What does Update have to do with
    certificates?

    Help, Please., Jan 27, 2004
  4. Help, Please.

    Boomer Guest

    "Help, Please." <> wrote in

    > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Visit Windows Update.
    >> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    >>
    >> On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:18:43 -0600, in
    >> <KTjRb.16165$>
    >> Help, Please. scrawled:
    >>
    >> >Hey--
    >> >
    >> >I am thinking about doing my taxes online... and I got to
    >> >looking at the certificates that were stored on my system
    >> >through Internet Options:Content:Certificates, then looking in
    >> >the "trusted root certificates" tab. There are many in there
    >> >from sites I do not know, and many of them are expired. Can I
    >> >delete both types of these certificates safely?
    >> >
    >> >Thanks--
    >> >
    >> >Zac
    >> >

    >> --
    >> Basic computer maintenance

    > I didn't see your reasoning in the lengthy reply you posted... so
    > I'll ask why. According to Windows Update, I've been up-to-date
    > with all software updates. I visit it once a month or so. What
    > does Update have to do with certificates?

    This may help.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;834438

    Boomer, Jan 27, 2004
  5. Help, Please.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 22:19:42 -0600, in
    <SDlRb.1525$>
    Help, Please. scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Visit Windows Update.
    >> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

    <snip>

    >I didn't see your reasoning in the lengthy reply you posted... so I'll ask
    >why. According to Windows Update, I've been up-to-date with all software
    >updates. I visit it once a month or so. What does Update have to do with
    >certificates?

    My reasoning was plain. Visit Windows update, where you
    may find updated Microsoft root certificates. Since you
    have already done that, your only other resource is
    Verisign, or other certificate issuing authorities.
    http://www.verisign.com/products/authentication/products.html
    https://www.verisign.com/support/site/caReplacement.html

    For more details about certificates, see:

    Using Digital Certificates
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/digitalcert/using.asp

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 27, 2004
  6. Re: Certificates?--Good grief!!!!

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Visit Windows Update.
    > http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    >

    > On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:18:43 -0600, in
    > <KTjRb.16165$>
    > Help, Please. scrawled:
    >
    > >Hey--
    > >
    > >I am thinking about doing my taxes online... and I got to looking at the
    > >certificates that were stored on my system through Internet
    > >certificates" tab. There are many in there from sites I do not know, and
    > >many of them are expired. Can I delete both types of these certificates
    > >safely?

    Okay... so my wife (can I blame it on her?) decided she was going to delete
    all certificates stored on my system after reading this. She thought that
    they would just be replaced (like cookies are after you delete all cookies),
    but apparently, they are not. I'm viewing and installing all (reasonable)
    certificates encountered. Of special concern are those isued when I visit
    my bank's website (bankone.com). I install them every time I go there, but
    for some reason, the "Security Alert" window reappears each tiem I visit the
    site. When I ask to see the certificate information, it says "this
    certificate cannot be verified up to a trusted certification authority."
    When I click on the "Certification Path" tab, there is a little path tree,
    with "Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority" at the top, followed
    by "www.verisign.com/CPS (blah blah blah)," then there is "bankone.com"
    under the verisign certificate. The bankone.com certificate logo has a red
    "X" on it, though, which would indicate a problem.

    How can I get this certificate installed back on my system?

    Thank you very much!

    Help, Please., Mar 1, 2004
  7. Certificates?--Good grief!!!!

    "Help, Please." <> wrote in message

    > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > > Visit Windows Update.
    > > http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    > >

    > > On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:18:43 -0600, in
    > > <KTjRb.16165$>
    > > Help, Please. scrawled:
    > >
    > > >Hey--
    > > >
    > > >I am thinking about doing my taxes online... and I got to looking at

    the
    > > >certificates that were stored on my system through Internet
    > > >certificates" tab. There are many in there from sites I do not know,

    and
    > > >many of them are expired. Can I delete both types of these

    certificates
    > > >safely?

    > Okay... so my wife (can I blame it on her?) decided she was going to

    delete
    > all certificates stored on my system after reading this. She thought that
    > they would just be replaced (like cookies are after you delete all

    cookies),
    > but apparently, they are not. I'm viewing and installing all (reasonable)
    > certificates encountered. Of special concern are those isued when I visit
    > my bank's website (bankone.com). I install them every time I go there,

    but
    > for some reason, the "Security Alert" window reappears each tiem I visit

    the
    > site. When I ask to see the certificate information, it says "this
    > certificate cannot be verified up to a trusted certification authority."
    > When I click on the "Certification Path" tab, there is a little path tree,
    > with "Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority" at the top, followed
    > by "www.verisign.com/CPS (blah blah blah)," then there is "bankone.com"
    > under the verisign certificate. The bankone.com certificate logo has a

    red
    > "X" on it, though, which would indicate a problem.
    >
    > How can I get this certificate installed back on my system?

    In addition, I'm unable to use Windows Update because of the certificate
    problem. I'm not presented with a "trust certificate" option, yet WU thinks
    that I am declining it when presented.

    Help, Please., Mar 1, 2004