    been all through the "repair connection" sequence, always with the same
    result. Please advise my next course of action. Thank you.--
    robert
    robert, Oct 18, 2008

  2. robert

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:
    =?Utf-8?B?cm9iZXJ0?= <> wrote:

    > I have a working home network (wireless) system conveying a live cable
    > connection from the Internet to my main computer. When I try to set up
    > my HP laptop to access the same (working) router, I get the message
    > "windows is unable to find a certificate to log you in to the network
    > netgear1". I have been all through the "repair connection" sequence,
    > always with the same result. Please advise my next course of action.
    > Thank you.-- robert

    Never seen the Netgear config procedure, but see if you have Radius or
    802.1x authentication selected for your WiFi connection. You almost
    certainly don't want either of them set.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Oct 18, 2008

  3. robert

    Lem Guest

    robert wrote:
    > I have a working home network (wireless) system conveying a live cable
    > connection from the Internet to my main computer. When I try to set up my HP
    > laptop to access the same (working) router, I get the message "windows is
    > unable to find a certificate to log you in to the network netgear1". I have
    > been all through the "repair connection" sequence, always with the same
    > result. Please advise my next course of action. Thank you.--
    > robert

    This error message typically means that you are attempting to connect to
    a (usually corporate) wireless network that uses a RADIUS server.
    Either "netgear1" isn't your own wireless network or you have
    misconfigured the settings in the new laptop or you have misconfigured
    your router.

    Assuming (a) that "netgear1" *is* your own network (you really should
    give it a more unique name), (b) that you are using Windows XP, (c) that
    you are using Windows Wireless Zero Configuration to control the
    wireless adapter, and (d) that you have at least one other *working*
    wireless connection from a Windows XP computer (that is, is your "main
    computer" connected via Ethernet or wireless?), then

    - from the "Chose a wireless network" window, click the link in the left
    column to "Change the order of preferred networks."
    - in the list of Preferred networks, choose yours (now would be a good
    time to move it to the top of the list, if it isn't there already),
    click the "Properties" button and then the "Authentication" tab.
    - in the "Authentication" window, ensure that the box to "Enable IEEE
    802.1x authentication for this network" is UNchecked. OK your way out
    and try to connect to the network again.

    If assumption (d) is incorrect, then you probably have misconfigured
    your wireless *router* and not your hp laptop. You need to have the
    router configured to use WPA2-PSK (WPA2-Personal) or WPA-PSK (WPA-Personal).

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Oct 18, 2008
  4. robert

    robert Guest

    I suspect you have put your finger on the problem. My HP laptop had
    previously apparently "burned up" its internal wireless sensor, so I grabbed
    a cheap external adapter from eBay which uses the USB port. As I said
    previously, it appears onscreen, but won't actually connect to my net.
    Looking at this adapter, (Netopia 802.11b DSSS high speed standard) it
    clearly USES the standard you want me to disable. Can this adapter ever be
    used on this machine, or should I just deep six it, and spend the 40 bucks
    for a different unit? I had no idea there were differing standards between
    corporate and home useage. Oh, well.
    --
    robert

    robert, Oct 19, 2008
  5. robert

    Lem Guest

    robert wrote:
    > I suspect you have put your finger on the problem. My HP laptop had
    > previously apparently "burned up" its internal wireless sensor, so I grabbed
    > a cheap external adapter from eBay which uses the USB port. As I said
    > previously, it appears onscreen, but won't actually connect to my net.
    > Looking at this adapter, (Netopia 802.11b DSSS high speed standard) it
    > clearly USES the standard you want me to disable. Can this adapter ever be
    > used on this machine, or should I just deep six it, and spend the 40 bucks
    > for a different unit? I had no idea there were differing standards between
    > corporate and home useage. Oh, well.

    It's very likely that this piece of hardware *can* operate without using
    802.11x. Because you didn't specify the model, it's hard to give a
    definitive answer. If you really have an 802.11b only model, it's
    probably a very old adapter and may well not support WPA or WPA2
    encryption. In that case, you will need to lower the encryption of your
    entire wifi network to match the capability of this unit. You do also
    realize that 802.11b is quite slow by today's wifi standards?

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Oct 19, 2008
  6. Hi
    I doubt that it is the adaptor. My first guess would be similar to Lem
    suggestion.
    However if you do need a new adapter there is no reason to go with "kinky"
    eBay one.
    This is an example for a new, fully compatible Wireless USB that is less
    expensive.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156152
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 19, 2008
  7. robert

    robert Guest

    I'm afraid I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to this stuff - The unit I
    am trying to use is model SWL-2300U FCC ID E2XSWL-2300U. It is also marked CE
    0560, and USB Spec 11 Compliant. BTW, I couldn't find anyplace in Windows to
    unclick that 802.1x spec - could that be because this unit was connected at
    the time? At any rate, is there any way I can get this thing to work even
    temporarily, until I can get either a new adapter?
    --
    robert

    robert, Oct 19, 2008
  8. robert

    Lem Guest

    robert wrote:
    > I'm afraid I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to this stuff - The unit I
    > am trying to use is model SWL-2300U FCC ID E2XSWL-2300U. It is also marked CE
    > 0560, and USB Spec 11 Compliant. BTW, I couldn't find anyplace in Windows to
    > unclick that 802.1x spec - could that be because this unit was connected at
    > the time? At any rate, is there any way I can get this thing to work even
    > temporarily, until I can get either a new adapter?

    You definitely should get a new adapter. The one suggested by Jack looks
    like a good deal. Otherwise

    In the meantime ...

    When you bought this one eBay, did it come with a CD or software of any
    kind? Have you installed the software (see end of post)?

    I assume that because you can get as far as a wireless-related error
    message, the device must be working to some extent. Did you get to a
    screen where you could choose a wireless network? Did it look like
    this:
    http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/sc...Connection/View_Wireless_Networks/Index.shtml

    You should be able to get to that screen either by right-clicking on the
    wireless network icon next to the clock or by using the Start > Connect
    to link.

    If you *can* get to that screen, follow the directions in my previous
    post. If you see some other sort of screen, odds are that you're using
    some proprietary configuration utility to control the adapter instead of
    Windows. You'll have to turn that off and start Windows Wireless Zero
    Configuration.

    Unfortunately, I'm going to be off the air for the next several days.
    For further info on this topic, see Jack's site at
    http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html

    As I said, you probably have already installed a driver for this, but if
    not, one appears to be available from several other sources, including:
    http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=606320
    http://www.wireless-driver.com/down...-AdapterSWL-2300U2350U-Driver-for-Windows.htm
    http://www.dsldepot.com/dslmodem.asp?modem=260

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Oct 19, 2008
  9. robert

    robert Guest

    I got to that screen, alright - it said there was a firewall (with a red X),
    so I found a screen to the firewall off (although of course it was not
    reccommended, I figured I'd try anything temporarily at this point). Then I
    was able to get to a screen with TWO of those little 'radio tower-like'
    symbols. the one on the left side says (on lines 1/2/3) 1-local area
    connection, 2-network cable unplugged (with a red X), 3-NVIDA nForce
    networking co.. The right hand symbol which I presume is the one we are
    working on says 1-Lillian (This is what my regular PC shows for her laptop
    connection), 2-Validating Identity (with a blue question mark), 3-Netopia
    802.11b WLAN USB. I tried "repair connections", the little blue dashes scurry
    across the screen for awhile, then it says "Windows could not finish
    repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed.
    Connecting to the wireless network. For assistance, contact the person who
    manages your network. That must be "Joe the plumber" ;-)
    --
    robert

    robert, Oct 20, 2008
  10. robert

    robert Guest

    Thanks very much Jack, that's an excellent suggestion. Best regards, Bob
    --
    robert

    robert, Oct 20, 2008
  11. robert

    robert Guest

    Lem, By following your instructions, I have been able to get my laptop back
    on the net! Incidentally, I also found out that my Netgear router was using
    my password as what it called "Key1", and when I put that information into
    the laptop, the final veil dropped and I was all set. Thanks very much for
    your helpful advice. Bob
    --
    robert

    robert, Oct 29, 2008