Certain webpages cause me to lose my internet connection, but I stay connected to my router.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by DoubleBitAxe, Sep 6, 2007.

  1. DoubleBitAxe

    DoubleBitAxe Guest

    I hope you have your thinking cap on.

    I'm having the strangest problem.

    When I boot up my computer I can connect to the internet (throught a
    WNP111 wireless adapter). I can do a myriad of things online. I can
    check my gmail. I can watch youtube. I can browse digg. I can even
    do pretty intensive things like video chatting on Skype. None of
    these things cause a problem. However the second I try to check my
    webmail, or if I try to download certain podcasts (like Scientific
    American) I lose my connection to the internet. It's strange because
    I stay connected to the router (with a pretty strong connection) but I
    am no longer connected to the internet through said router.

    Things I've found while trying to fix this:
    -At least two other computers on this network can access the webpages
    that cause me so much trouble.
    -I've used my wireless adapter on my roommate's laptop and his laptop
    has no problems.
    -This same problem happened at my last house with an entirely
    different router.
    -If I unplug then reattach my adapter it seems to reset the connection
    and I can access those functions that do not cause me trouble.
    -I've uninstalled my adapter and reinstalled it with the latest
    drivers, it had no effect.

    If anyone has any suggestions I could really use them. This is
    driving me nuts.

    -Thanks

    DoubleBitAxe, Sep 6, 2007

  2. DoubleBitAxe

    DoubleBitAxe Guest

    I will give it a shot, however, I have tried the adapter on other
    computers with no trouble.

    DoubleBitAxe, Sep 6, 2007

  3. Hi
    It could be that the adapter is defective.
    However short of getting a new adapter you can try this.
    Optimizing the TCP/IP Stack - http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 6, 2007
  4. RE: Certain webpages cause me to lose my internet connection, but I st

    "DoubleBitAxe" wrote:

    > I hope you have your thinking cap on.
    >
    > I'm having the strangest problem.
    >
    > When I boot up my computer I can connect to the internet (throught a
    > WNP111 wireless adapter). I can do a myriad of things online. I can
    > check my gmail. I can watch youtube. I can browse digg. I can even
    > do pretty intensive things like video chatting on Skype. None of
    > these things cause a problem. However the second I try to check my
    > webmail, or if I try to download certain podcasts (like Scientific
    > American) I lose my connection to the internet. It's strange because
    > I stay connected to the router (with a pretty strong connection) but I
    > am no longer connected to the internet through said router.
    >
    > Things I've found while trying to fix this:
    > -At least two other computers on this network can access the webpages
    > that cause me so much trouble.
    > -I've used my wireless adapter on my roommate's laptop and his laptop
    > has no problems.
    > -This same problem happened at my last house with an entirely
    > different router.
    > -If I unplug then reattach my adapter it seems to reset the connection
    > and I can access those functions that do not cause me trouble.
    > -I've uninstalled my adapter and reinstalled it with the latest
    > drivers, it had no effect.
    >
    > If anyone has any suggestions I could really use them. This is
    > driving me nuts.
    >
    > -Thanks

    Run disk Clean Up and Defrag in safe mode, then Open run command and type in:
    sfc /scannow click [OK]
    Note the space between sfc_/

    Then Open a run command and re-register these DLLs:
    regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
    regsvr32 Urlmon.dll
    regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
    regsvr32 Msjava.dll
    regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
    regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 Browseui.dll
    regsvr32 Shell32.dll

    = ... First, try to clean up your caches, Internet files and delete cookies
    by doing this:
    Click Start >> Control Panel >> Double click Network and Internet
    Connections >> Double click Internet Options.
    On the IE properties windows you will see these Tabs:
    General | Security | Privacy | Content | Connections | Programs |
    Under General Tab clear your History, Internet Files and Cookies.
    Then click on Advanced tab and scroll down to under the Browsing Option:
    [&] Browsing
    [ ] Enable Third-Party browser extensions (Req Rest) uncheck this box.

    [&] HTTP 1.1 Settings
    [ ] Use HTTP 1.1 ,= Make sure this checked
    [ ] Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections
    If you using proxy check the proxy one if not check only the first one.

    Then under Security Option:
    [&] Security
    [ ] Use SSL 2.0
    [ ] Use SSL 3.0
    [ ] Use STL 1.0
    Then click on Programs Tab and click Manage Add-Ons and Disable all non
    Verified Add-Ons (You should Renable them later one-by-one and see the
    culprit and update it or remove it.

    = Then Open a run command and type in these DLLs to re-register them:
    regsvr32 SOFTPUB.DLL
    regsvr32 Wintrust.dll
    regsvr32 Mssip32.dll
    regsvr32 Initpki.dll
    regsvr32 Msjava.dll
    regsvr32 Gpkcsp.dll
    regsvr32 Sccbase.dll
    regsvr32 Slbcsp.dll
    regsvr32 Urlmon.dll
    regsvr32 Cryptdlg.dll
    regsvr32 Dssenh.dll
    regsvr32 Rsaenh.dll
    Note you can copy the above and paste in a Notepad and Save As on the
    Desktop reg.bat file then you can open a run command and type in:
    C:\reg.bat click [OK] and then Yes.
    Again on the Run command type in:
    ipconfig /flushdns click [OK]
    ipconfig /renew click [OK]
    netsh winsock reset click [OK]
    Reboot your machine and see if you can access any website/link easily and
    without the cannot connect error message.

    = Open the Windows
    Explorer and locate this path:
    C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc = look in the Right Pane/window for this
    file called the HOSTS file but not the one with the extension *.SAM* leave
    this as is.
    If you can't see it try to click Tools >> Folder Options and select show
    Hidden files and folder, then right Click the Hosts file and select open with
    Notepad.
    There see any reference for that site and remove it, you Hosts file will
    looks like this:
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # Source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # Client Host
    127.0.0.1 LocalHost
    Remove all other References other than those above.

    f not try this:
    search for them by this name *index.dat* and you can delete them
    then the on reboot the system will recreate them for you.
    Some of them here:
    C:\Documents and settings\Administrator\Cookies = index
    C:\Documents and Settings\User\Cookies = index
    C:\Documents and settings\User\User data = index
    C:\Windows\Temp\Cookies =index
    C:\Windows\Temp\History = index
    C:\Windows\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 = Index.dat
    Reboot your machine and see if this helped.
    Check your connection (TCP/IP setting) are set correct.

    Does these site operate with flash player, you may need to update your flash
    player from Adobe.
    HTH.
    Let us know.
    nass
    ===
    www.nasstec.co.uk

    =?Utf-8?B?bmFzcw==?=, Sep 6, 2007
  5. DoubleBitAxe

    DoubleBitAxe Guest

    Re: Certain webpages cause me to lose my internet connection, but I st

    Wow! Thanks for the advice. It is very complete! I will give these
    a try and let you know.

    Thanks again.

    Mike

    DoubleBitAxe, Sep 7, 2007