Cert tracks

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by AmyAmandaAllen, Aug 22, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    Since I finally decided to get on with certs I am now probably going to go
    the MCSA track. Couple of questions that I would like some comments on please.

    should I go or 2000 or standard 2003 core exams? With a newborn I probably
    want the easiest one. ( may sort the other one later ) Is their much
    difference in how hard they are/revision needed? We have both 2000 and 2003
    in work so can play on both.

    Is the exam question based or simulation?

    If I just decide to go for an MCP to start with ( to get the ball rolling in
    this area ) which one is likely to be easier to obtain?

    Can anyone recommend any good training material/books/test engines please?

    I already passed the MCDST and am going to sit the 270 so its whats after Im
    interested in.

    BTW anyone know if 2000 will be retired soon as that will make the rest of
    the questions redundant.

    Cheers

    AAA
    AmyAmandaAllen, Aug 22, 2005

  2. AmyAmandaAllen

    MiniMe Guest

    I've gone the 2000 route & am nearly there. The main reason below:

    Microsoft exams are version based, therefore, you can upgrade from 2000 by
    only sitting 1 extra exam 70-292 and be both MCSA 2000 & 2003 certified,
    opening up the job market. I don't think it’s that easy to get 2000 once
    you've got 2003. Also, if you go the 2000 route you can always upgrade later
    when you need to, I don't think companies mind at the mo.

    As for exam questions they are mainly multiple choice with some simulation
    involved and are generally scenario based.

    Recommend: Transender test engine, Exam Cram 2 & Sybex books and as many
    braindumps as you can stand. I don't think they are retiring 2000 for some
    time.

    I hope this helps

    Good luck!

    --
    Spend time to know yourself, this may take longer then you think!

    MiniMe, Aug 22, 2005

  3. AmyAmandaAllen

    James Guest

    braindumps are cheating, asshat

    James, Aug 22, 2005
  4. "AmyAmandaAllen" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Since I finally decided to get on with certs I am now probably going to go
    > the MCSA track. Couple of questions that I would like some comments on
    > please.
    >
    > should I go or 2000 or standard 2003 core exams? With a newborn I probably
    > want the easiest one. ( may sort the other one later ) Is their much
    > difference in how hard they are/revision needed? We have both 2000 and
    > 2003
    > in work so can play on both.

    Speaking as someone in a hiring position, a resume from someone with 2003 or
    2000 will be given similar consideration. Now before flame fests begin and
    this becomes a cert vs. experience thread, they are pluses, not
    requirements. With that said, however, there were quite a few changes since
    2000 and the majority of our new customers will be moved to 2003. Those who
    have the 2003 cert, which builds on top of 2000, will likely already have
    the necessary knowledge for the 2000 environment. The extra 2000-level cert
    on top of 2003-level won't matter much in my eyes since the environment is
    very similar, although a Exchange 5.5 and NT4 Server MCP will defnitely
    attract my interest due to the nature of our work having to do with
    migrations. The one exception would be the 2000-level MCP certs that's are
    addition to 2003-level certs.

    Note that we are all different and some other hiring managers may consider
    that extra 2000-level cert a plus. :) As you can see, I only have 2
    2003-level certs from Microsoft and that's fine for me on top of 11 years of
    working with this stuff. My specialization is Messaging and I'll probably
    complete it in the next couple of months.
    --
    Leonid S. Knyshov
    Crashproof Solutions, LLC - http://www.crashproofsolutions.com
    Leonid S. Knyshov, Aug 22, 2005
  5. Thanks for your ideas

    Think with my time Im going to go 2000 70-291 first as Ive done the MOC
    already.

    With regards to braindumps - They have there places for some people Im sure
    but their not much use when facing a real life problem in a new job !!!

    AmyAmandaAllen, Aug 23, 2005
  6. AmyAmandaAllen

    MiniMe Guest

    I don't think braindumps are cheating .. they are just questions! they are
    never the same as on the exam but they give you the advantage of
    understanding the level of requirements involved .. exactly the same as any
    book that comes with practice exams! or Transender .. get over yourself ...
    you can have something free sometimes you know!

    MiniMe, Aug 23, 2005
  7. "AmyAmandaAllen" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for your ideas
    >
    > With regards to braindumps - They have there places for some people Im
    > sure
    > but their not much use when facing a real life problem in a new job !!!

    This is to clarify that my initial response did not mention anything
    concerning the subject of breaking the NDA. I do not recommend nor do I
    condone anything that violates the NDA.
    Leonid S. Knyshov, Aug 24, 2005
  8. AmyAmandaAllen

    MitchS Guest

    You are wrong. Braindumps are cheating and viewed by MS as such.
    Braindumps do contain actual test questions from previous test takers. As
    for your second point, "you can have something free sometimes you know!"
    you are also wrong. TINSTAFL is a fundamental concept in finance. Somebody
    pays, and if it is not you then you should look closely at why not.

    --
    Mitch S.
    MCSA, A+, Net+, CCNA
    MitchS, Aug 24, 2005