cert for new to IT

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Russ, Aug 13, 2004.

  1. Russ

    Russ Guest

    Hi Everyone,

    Hope this hasn't been covered- I've read through some
    postings but my question seems like it might be useful.

    And that is: How do MS certifications fit into starting
    an IT career from rock bottom as a recent non-tech
    college grad?

    Now, the specifics. After several months as a temp doing
    Help Desk / Desktop Support I find I really enjoy it. The
    only job I can say that about. So now I want to go into
    IT. What I like is the learning, the cool toys,
    interacting with people (but limited), and the excitement
    of the regular crises.

    So based on that I should go into MCDST, with an eye
    towards MCSA. But I have a sense that security issues are
    ones I'd find both interesting and lucrative, so should I
    go straight for the MCSA:Security or might I still find
    MCDST to be a good use of my time and money? I want to
    keep my paths open but still not be dumb and wasteful.

    What says you, kind, wise, gorgeous folk?
    Russ, Aug 13, 2004

  2. Russ

    Bobby Guest

    Hi Russ,

    If your support focuses on MSFT software, like os or apps, then MCDST is a
    good choice. If you are looking at supporting hardware, than A+ from CompTIA
    is a good choice and can be bettered if compliment with Network+. All these
    certs are for entry level IT techs. If you are looking at MCSA (actually you
    should), then you can use either MCDST or the combination of A+ and Network+
    as your elective when you start your MCSA track.

    Hope this helps.

    Bobby

    Bobby, Aug 16, 2004

  3. Russ

    SJ Guest

    Russ,

    Good question. Since you're just a temp and don't have a secure job,
    I think the MCDST cert can help you land a more secure IT position
    while you're continuing to learn.

    As Bobby mentioned, you can use the MCDST certification as an elective
    for MCSA (though not for the MCSE). If you find security interesting,
    I suggest you look at the security electives for the MCSE. Most MCSA
    tests and even the MCDST tests cover the basics of security

    There are a lot of people that come out of college with a degree and
    then move into a field that doesn't relate to their degree. However,
    the college degree is highly valued by many companies and often
    rewarded with higher salaries. The certs help you land the job, the
    degree gets you more money.

    HTH,

    sj
    www.certquest.net