    I have a question about the cert architect, it seems to have an 10 yrs
    experience to fullfill it , if doesn't have 10 yrs, does it meaningless to
    take the exam?
    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9l?=, Jul 18, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9l?=

    EggHead Guest

    The turth is that you need to read the book to find out what you don't learn
    through exp:)
    I think couple yrs exp in s/w desgin is good enough.
    I learn almost the same stuff @ school, and my school does not list 10yrs
    exp as pre.
    Egghead

    EggHead, Jul 18, 2005

  3. July 18, 2005

    I believe it is a "requirement". Therefore, I believe they want to make
    especially sure that there is a Distinct level between people with just
    certifications and ones With both experience and certifications. :) Seems
    like a good idea to me!

    --
    Joseph Bittman
    Microsoft Certified Application Developer

    Web Site: http://71.39.42.23
    Static IP

    Joseph Bittman MCAD, Jul 18, 2005
  4. I would go for it!
    The material is the same regardless if you read about it or learn it on the
    job. There are advantages both ways.

    The only thing, however, is if you have no experience you most likely will
    not get paid or have a better possition then say MCAD at first however you
    likelyhood of getting the job is increased.

    In other words, I am MCAD now and studying for MCSD but I have no hands on
    experience I dont expect a company to hire me as a decision maker my first
    year out. I will still be on the debug team making as much money as any MCAD
    would make but my chances of getting that job will be better. PLUS I will
    already have a base I can work on for the future.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?=, Jul 19, 2005
  5. This is true.
    Basically one either reads new material at work or at home. Either way its
    the same information. Although nothing beats a one on one mentorship work can
    provide but if that is not a resource one has there is no reason to sit
    around and wait for it either.

    One thing people forget about the "experience" track is that it really
    depends on your job. If you are stuck doing one thing week after week it
    doesnt help. Then again, if you are working with a mentor its better.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?=, Jul 19, 2005
  6. Yeah I think its an excellent idea (I originally misunderstood what this
    level was). After all, Engineers has something very similar. I believe
    accounts, doctors and lawyers (to say Board certified) also have something
    similar but not for sure.

    I think in some industries with board certifications require teaching at a
    college level as part of the process as well. This keeps the colleges on top
    of things because it’s almost impossible to hire a good teacher in a specific
    industry because if they are any good they would not be teaching! This is
    particularly bad in IT.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?=, Jul 21, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9l?=

    Egghead Guest

    We all know it is a good idea. After all, it is a hand-on cert from M$ :)
    But 10 yrs, I think 5yrs is reasonable. In gerenal, there is very little
    different in exp between 5yrs and 10yrs.
    It is different in those fields you mention. Those boards are government
    authorized.
    Unless M$ allows people put Linux in to the system, I think it will be
    another SCEA type program.
    Egghead

    Egghead, Jul 21, 2005
  8. I would have to agree with you. In engineering for example the entire
    fundamentals don’t change like it does in development which is why I think
    someone with 5 years experience and .Net certified is clearly better for
    development on .Net then someone with 15 years experience and no proven
    knowledge of .Net. Perhaps 5 years is more reasonable.

    I would like to see more certification oriented teaching at my college. By
    that I don’t mean letter for letter but maybe at least look at the objectives
    charts for various exams. One of the troubles is the books we have. The class
    I have coming up covers data access by not addressing ADO much at all. More
    how to make arrays and text files of all things! I thought about lobbying for
    the changes but really don’t have the time or the political patience.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?=, Jul 30, 2005