    Are there any employers here that can tell me what they would prefer.

    Is it best to take both? what would get me into a job quicker? what would
    get me a better salary?

    Dave, Aug 17, 2004

  2. Dave

    Bobby Guest

    Hi Dave,

    You will get a job quicker with IT certifications but you will get a better
    salary if you have a degree to go with it. You will need experience to keep a
    job and change it into your career. Since you are 18, get all the degrees and
    certifications you can. At the same time volunteer yourself when there's IT
    needs (troubleshooting, networking, designing websites etc...) or participate
    in IT related clubs and society during your college/university years.

    Hope this helps.

    Bobby

    Bobby, Aug 18, 2004

  3. Dave

    anonymous Guest

    I agree with the other guys. Go to college and take the
    classes then study for the certs right after you finish
    the class while it is still fresh in your head. A degree
    with MCSA or MCSE will look really good on a resume. I
    was already in IT when I started my degree so my work
    paid for all my classes and certs. Maybe you can find a
    job like tech support that will pay for your school and
    go to school at night. Look at job sites for tech support
    rep. That is good experience. Most school will make you
    take the A+ and Network+ classes before they let you take
    MCSA/MCSE classes

    anonymous, Aug 18, 2004
  4. Dave

    Guest Guest

    I'm in IT career almost 10 years. It is best to take both.
    Degree is more important. Best

    Guest, Aug 18, 2004
  5. Dave

    zork Guest

    it only takes a week to get a certification, however a real degree takes
    atleast 4 years. Answer me which one is more recognised? True, recognition
    is not that important in the IT world. Experience is. My plan of action
    would be the following:

    1) start a degree program
    2) as a part time excercise work towards certification
    3) get a part time job in the IT area. Who knows, your employer might even
    pay for your college degree.

    try and turn yourself into a more rounded individual. who knows, maybe later
    on in life you might decide to change careers. A degree can make that so
    much more easier. I know this because i have been there.

    I would stress trying to get a part time job in IT while going through a
    degree. You can gain some valuable expereince during those 4 years in
    college and be very employable in the end compared to other graduates. Your
    multitasking abilities i.e. taking on a college degree + attaining
    certification + a part time job, will look great in the eyes of an employer.
    He will only see a hard worker with a potential to achieve. not a lazy bumb
    who wants a cheap ticket (certification) entry into the IT world

    It's a long road, but take it one step at a time. You are the ring bearer.
    don't give up!

    zork

    zork, Aug 19, 2004
  6. Dave

    SJ Guest

    No question about it, if you can get a degree, absolutely, positively
    get a degree.

    At 18, you have a long time ahead of you in the work environment. If
    you can postpone that a little by expanding your horizons in a college
    or university, so much the beter. Getting a degree will get you ahead
    no matter where you go in the work environment.

    Just a degree doesn't always mean a job once you graduate, so
    certifications can help you get a job. However, with a degree you get
    more money to start and more money in the long run. Even for the
    "rock stars" (engineers that can do anything), a lack of degree causes
    a ceiling.

    Money isn't everything, but if you have to struggle payday to payday
    money becomes tremondously important.

    As a hiring manager, sometimes I'd look for someone that didn't have a
    degree but just had certifications specifically because I was working
    with a smaller salary. Other times, I'd want someone with the best
    qualifications; a resume with both a degree and certifications brought
    prospects to the top of the pile.

    sj
    www.certquest.net

    SJ, Aug 21, 2004
  7. Dave

    Feral Geek Guest

    What would you recommend for someone changing careers at
    the age of 40 something who works full time and has family
    responsibilities and a mortgage etc... Go back to school
    for 4 years and get a Computer Science Degree? I already
    ahve a BS in Business so why get another 4 year degree?
    For some of us, the certification route and hands on
    experience is the only way to break into the field. Before
    you dole out advice like cheap ticket (certification)
    consider that everyone is not like you or in the same
    position as the individual you were giving advice to.

    Feral Geek, Aug 27, 2004
  8. Dave

    bblak Guest

    Tell the truth Geek, you don't have a degree. If you did your comprehension
    skills would be be better.

    bblak, Aug 28, 2004
  9. Dave

    Feral Geek Guest

    Actually I do have a degree and I am a member of mensa. To
    tell the truth though, I have found young pretentious
    techies like yourself very annoying. I hope the silver
    spoon you have been sucking on your whole life never falls
    out of your mouth and you have to experience hardship, or
    god forbid choose a different career where your superior
    attitude will not fly. Good luck moron.

    Feral Geek, Aug 29, 2004
  10. Dave

    Feral Geek Guest

    Thanks Alan for the great advice. I have been trying to
    land entry-level Help Desk or Desktop support jobs and
    since I have owned my own businesses in the past I was
    starting to wonder if I was not landing the entry-level
    jobs due to employers thinking I wouold not be challenged
    by an entry-level position. I have been getting hands on
    experience with a friend (ex-colleague) of mine who is in
    the IT field and does consulting work. Thanks again for the
    advice.
    Feral Geek

    experience. With
    >the current economy, having MCSE on your resume might

    actually work against
    >you - because employers know that certified professionals

    demand more money.
    >If you go the degree route, you shouldn't have to take

    many classes due to
    >your previous degree. I would at least investigate the

    number of hours
    >required to get the CS degree.
    >
    >For me, my degree was also in an unrelated field. So I

    took a lower end IT
    >job and earned the experience. It was slower but the

    knowledge I collected
    >along the way is priceless.
    >
    >Also, I have a MBA/MCSE buddy that was unemployed for

    nearly 8 months. He
    >was willing to take anything. He finally took MBA and

    MCSE off his resume

    Feral Geek, Aug 30, 2004
  11. Dave

    zeus Guest

    Hi Feral Geek,

    One suggestion for you. Why not u attend MSc(IT) or MBA(IS) or M.
    TechMgmt? Don't let go of your current job. Attend the master part-time.
    (Some Master degrees do not need solid IT degree or experience.) Then go
    for Business Analyst or IT mgmt instead of pure techie line. If you have
    Business experience in certain sector, try to go up from there. For
    example, if you are involved in ERP, then find the relevant IT positions
    in ERP etc..

    HTH.

    zeus, Aug 30, 2004
  12. Dave

    John Guest

    You will get a job quicker if you get the certifications
    first. Then after landing a job you can go back to school
    and get your degree and have your employer pay for it via
    tuition reimbursement.Be prepared to do an internship...
    no-one will touch you without any experience.. good luck !!

    John, Sep 15, 2004
  13. Dave

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, John climbed on a soapbox & opined:

    > You will get a job quicker if you get the certifications
    > first. Then after landing a job you can go back to school
    > and get your degree and have your employer pay for it via
    > tuition reimbursement.Be prepared to do an internship...
    > no-one will touch you without any experience.. good luck !!

    What color is the sky on that planet you are from?

    JaR
    Curious Thug

    JaR, Sep 15, 2004
  14. Dave

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Sep 15, 2004 at 2:49pm "JaR" blathered:

    > In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, John climbed on a soapbox & opined:
    >
    >> You will get a job quicker if you get the certifications
    >> first. Then after landing a job you can go back to school
    >> and get your degree and have your employer pay for it via
    >> tuition reimbursement.Be prepared to do an internship...
    >> no-one will touch you without any experience.. good luck !!

    That's what I was wondering.

    --
    TechGeekPro, MCNGP #36
    MCNGP.com - We're here to help!

    TechGeekPro, Sep 17, 2004
  15. Dave

    John Smith Guest

    It doesn't take another 4 years of school to get a second BS since lots of
    the GE and electives will transfer over.
    You should get a computer related degree out of the way, then get
    certification, then start looking for employment.
    It is better just get them both out of the way fulltime, than trying to do
    them on the side later.

    John Smith, Sep 18, 2004
  16. Dave

    mofrags Guest

    JaR wrote:
    > In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, John climbed on a soapbox & opined:
    >

    >>You will get a job quicker if you get the certifications
    >>first. Then after landing a job you can go back to school
    >>and get your degree and have your employer pay for it via
    >>tuition reimbursement.Be prepared to do an internship...
    >>no-one will touch you without any experience.. good luck !!

    huh?

    mofrags, Oct 2, 2004
  17. Dave

    mofrags Guest

    TechGeekPro wrote:
    > On Sep 15, 2004 at 2:49pm "JaR" blathered:
    >

    >>In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, John climbed on a soapbox & opined:
    >>

    >>>You will get a job quicker if you get the certifications
    >>>first. Then after landing a job you can go back to school
    >>>and get your degree and have your employer pay for it via
    >>>tuition reimbursement.Be prepared to do an internship...
    >>>no-one will touch you without any experience.. good luck !!

    evidently, slightly more brilliant than the color in your world :}

    mofrags, Oct 2, 2004
  18. What do you want to do with computers? I mean programming, repairing,
    working for Dell in their sales/support areas, selling them in a store,
    working for RadioShack selling parts? That's what will ultimately determine
    which route you want to take.

    If you want to do anything major (programming or Systems Analysis), you need
    the degree. If you just want to fix them, then the A+ and other
    certifications would work out (although a degree is a bonus). If you just
    want to work for Dell, then an employment application is the only required
    thing (Same goes for RadioShack).
    Patrick.

    PS. Personally, I'm going for my degree THEN my certifications. I want to
    have a computer repair business, but want to work in an IT department until
    I have the capital and customer base.

    --
    Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you...

    Patrick Dickey--MSN Beta Tester, Oct 3, 2004
  19. Dave

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Oct 2, 2004 at 7:25am "mofrags" blathered:

    TechGeekPro, Oct 3, 2004