Centralize Thunderbird Address Book

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Thomas Guignard, Jan 11, 2005.

  1. I'm using Thunderbird as my mail application on my 3 computers (1 Linux,
    2 MacOs X) and I have no troube syncing my mail between them since I am
    using an IMAP server and gmail for archiving.

    But I still have to find a good way to synchronize my address books.
    There doesn't seem to be an extension doing this yet. And the roaming
    profiles from back to the ole Netscape years haven't reappeared.

    So I guess my best bet is to write some scripts that could sync the
    local address books with a centralized version (say, on an FPT server).
    My questions are

    - do someone already do this?
    - do someone know of a good way to sync between two files to update both
    of them to the latest version (keep track of changes, additions, deletions)?
    - can someone tell me where the address book data of Thunderbird is
    stored, under Linux and MacOS X?

    Thank you!

    If I get to something useful and working, I will write an extension so
    that others can profit!

    --
    Thomas Guignard
    Laboratory of Electromagnetics and Acoustics

    Thomas Guignard, Jan 11, 2005

  2. Thomas Guignard wrote:
    > I'm using Thunderbird as my mail application on my 3 computers (1 Linux,
    > 2 MacOs X) and I have no troube syncing my mail between them since I am
    > using an IMAP server and gmail for archiving.
    >
    > But I still have to find a good way to synchronize my address books.
    > There doesn't seem to be an extension doing this yet. And the roaming
    > profiles from back to the ole Netscape years haven't reappeared.
    >
    > So I guess my best bet is to write some scripts that could sync the
    > local address books with a centralized version (say, on an FPT server).
    > My questions are
    >
    > - do someone already do this?
    > - do someone know of a good way to sync between two files to update both
    > of them to the latest version (keep track of changes, additions,
    > deletions)?
    > - can someone tell me where the address book data of Thunderbird is
    > stored, under Linux and MacOS X?
    >
    > Thank you!
    >
    > If I get to something useful and working, I will write an extension so
    > that others can profit!

    Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is no way to share address book
    data. I do share mail and news files on a portable usb hard drive, on
    Windows, Linux and Mac OSX.

    On Windows, there is the Portable Thunderbird, where the whole app comes
    with you, but that will not help you in this instance.

    The main address book is stored in the profile, in a file called
    abook.mab. I believe its the same on both Linux and OSX, though I'll
    have to wait until I get home to check. The Linux profile is at
    home/(username)/.thunderbird. I would have to look at my Mac to be
    specific about its profile location, its in a Library directory somewhere.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 11, 2005

  3. Thomas Guignard

    Paul Guest

    This is one idea that has not yet been explored fully:

    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=131873&highlight=imap addressbook

    Cheers,

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 21, 2005