    routers, and switches. I am using a windows based syslog server from
    Solarwinds but it just does not feel like an enterprise solution. Any
    recommendations?

    James Coldwind, Jan 4, 2005

  2. In article <ViACd.180034$>,
    James Coldwind <> wrote:
    :What do you folks use for central monitoring of your logs for firewalls,
    :routers, and switches.

    Custom software. Which, unfortunately, goes out of date when I do
    software upgrades.

    :I am using a windows based syslog server from
    :Solarwinds but it just does not feel like an enterprise solution. Any
    :recommendations?

    A lot depends on what kind of monitoring you want to do and what
    rate the log messages are coming in at.

    The major commercial software that I am aware of is by Network
    Intelligence; the low end version is named Private I; I don't recall
    what the high end version is named. It didn't happen to do what I
    wanted, but your needs are very likely different than mine; you can
    use their free trial to see whether it is suitable for you.
    --
    Entropy is the logarithm of probability -- Boltzmann

    Walter Roberson, Jan 4, 2005

  3. James Coldwind

    dave Guest

    "Walter Roberson" <-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote in message:
    > In article <ViACd.180034$>,
    > James Coldwind <> wrote:
    > :What do you folks use for central monitoring of your logs for firewalls,
    > :routers, and switches.
    > Custom software. Which, unfortunately, goes out of date when I do
    > software upgrades.
    > :I am using a windows based syslog server from
    > :Solarwinds but it just does not feel like an enterprise solution. Any
    > :recommendations?
    > A lot depends on what kind of monitoring you want to do and what
    > rate the log messages are coming in at.
    > The major commercial software that I am aware of is by Network
    > Intelligence; the low end version is named Private I; I don't recall
    > what the high end version is named. It didn't happen to do what I
    > wanted, but your needs are very likely different than mine; you can
    > use their free trial to see whether it is suitable for you.

    Try netcrunch from adrem. There is also available full evaluation version.
    You can test it one moth for free, and see if you like.

    dave

    dave, Jan 5, 2005
  4. James Coldwind

    Jason Burton Guest

    Unfortunately Network Intelligence is phasing out all their software
    only products by March 2005.

    Jason Burton, Jan 7, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    Jason Burton <> wrote:
    :Unfortunately Network Intelligence is phasing out all their software
    :eek:nly products by March 2005.

    Interesting. Good thing I stopped paying them support then -- I would
    otherwise have been upset about having paid that much only to have the
    product dropped.
    --
    I've been working on a kernel
    All the livelong night.