Central ADSL splitter

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Sean McF, Apr 13, 2005.

  1. Sean McF

    Sean McF Guest

    Hi guys

    Am going to rewire the phone system in the house in a couple of weeks
    time and figured I would put in a central ADSL splitter such as a D-Link
    DSL-10SP. Anyone able to point me to a NZ retailer for the DSL-10SP or
    similar? Whenever I do a search I just get the telepermitt details and
    info about plug in filters etc.

    Cheers,
    Sean.
    Sean McF, Apr 13, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Sean McF

    colinco Guest

    In article Sean McF says...
    > DSL-10SP
    >

    It may have been sold for a while but probably wasn't approved so has
    gone. D-Link wouldn't want to upset their arrangement with xtra :).
    AFAIK the only options are a Telecom installed splitter or plugin
    filters.
    colinco, Apr 13, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Sean McF

    Sean McF Guest

    What a shame for a part that seems to only cost around $30 to $40 in
    Australia and the telecom fee to install is $248.

    Typical.

    Cheers,
    Sean.

    colinco wrote:
    > It may have been sold for a while but probably wasn't approved so has
    > gone. D-Link wouldn't want to upset their arrangement with xtra :).
    > AFAIK the only options are a Telecom installed splitter or plugin
    > filters.
    Sean McF, Apr 14, 2005
    #3
  4. Sean McF

    Richard Guest

    Sean McF wrote:
    > What a shame for a part that seems to only cost around $30 to $40 in
    > Australia and the telecom fee to install is $248.


    $99 of that is the adsl being enabled, the site visit is $149, and in my opinion
    its a fair charge - Try getting an electrician in to do some phone cabling and
    you will see that its not really that bad
    Richard, Apr 14, 2005
    #4
  5. Sean McF

    SNOman Guest

    Sean McF wrote:
    > Hi guys
    >
    > Am going to rewire the phone system in the house in a couple of weeks
    > time and figured I would put in a central ADSL splitter such as a D-Link
    > DSL-10SP. Anyone able to point me to a NZ retailer for the DSL-10SP or
    > similar? Whenever I do a search I just get the telepermitt details and
    > info about plug in filters etc.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Sean.

    I know it doesn't help but I've always thought that self installed
    filters was way better than getting a telecom filter, the reason being
    that with self install filters you can move your adsl equipment easily
    to another room if you have to rather than having telecom filter
    hardwired to one particular outlet
    SNOman, Apr 14, 2005
    #5
  6. Sean McF

    Sean McF Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > $99 of that is the adsl being enabled, the site visit is $149, and in my
    > opinion its a fair charge - Try getting an electrician in to do some
    > phone cabling and you will see that its not really that bad


    True Richard, very true. I failed to take that into account.

    The thing that disappoints me with this is in a previous life I was
    employed by a contracted company and installed phone systems, alarm
    systems and ADSL setups etc and I know how to do all this and have the
    knowledge required and know just how simple it is to put in one of these
    splitters. Just figured while I was redoing the home phone system
    following some renovation I would take the opportunity.

    Looks like I may have to get in touch with someone from my past and see
    if I get one that way. But I hate doing that.

    Cheers,
    Sean.
    Sean McF, Apr 14, 2005
    #6
  7. Sean McF

    Richard Guest

    Sean McF wrote:

    > True Richard, very true. I failed to take that into account.
    >
    > The thing that disappoints me with this is in a previous life I was
    > employed by a contracted company and installed phone systems, alarm
    > systems and ADSL setups etc and I know how to do all this and have the
    > knowledge required and know just how simple it is to put in one of these
    > splitters. Just figured while I was redoing the home phone system
    > following some renovation I would take the opportunity.
    >
    > Looks like I may have to get in touch with someone from my past and see
    > if I get one that way. But I hate doing that.


    Just ask a telecom tech when you see them at the side of thhe road etc. I picked
    one up for $15 ;)

    I still cant get a straight answer as to where the demac is off telecom.
    Sometimes they say its the point of entry on the side of the house, and other
    times the master socket, and the reason they gave that I cant install the
    splitter myself is that its upstream of the demarc point, which as far as I am
    concerned is bull.
    Richard, Apr 14, 2005
    #7
  8. Sean McF

    Richard Guest

    SNOman wrote:

    > I know it doesn't help but I've always thought that self installed
    > filters was way better than getting a telecom filter, the reason being
    > that with self install filters you can move your adsl equipment easily
    > to another room if you have to rather than having telecom filter
    > hardwired to one particular outlet


    most self installed filters only filter one side of the balanced circuit,
    leading to it becoming unbalanced if you hang a lot of cable/loads off it. The
    telecom installed splitter doesnt seem to have this problem.

    Besides, they usually run the ADSL signal around the house on the second or
    third pair in the cabling, so you can always drop a second socket in whereever
    you have one already providing your cabling isnt done in a particually weird way.

    When I got telecom here to install a spliter, they swapped about 8 outlets out
    for 2 wire ones, and changed the way the underground cable to the shed was
    hooked up so that it had the correct phoneline on it. I dont think I could have
    gotten the phone outlets for what they charged for the work.
    Richard, Apr 14, 2005
    #8
  9. Sean McF

    colinco Guest

    In article Richard says...
    > I still cant get a straight answer as to where the demac is off telecom.
    > Sometimes they say its the point of entry on the side of the house,


    Correct, you own what's inside and Telecom owns the cable back to their
    network. I think they once wanted to make you responsible for the lead-
    in as well but this way other companies can't re-use it

    > and other
    > times the master socket, and the reason they gave that I cant install the
    > splitter myself is that its upstream of the demarc point, which as far as I am
    > concerned is bull.
    >

    From http://www.telepermit.co.nz/Ptc103.html#sec1.2.1

    "1.2.1 Network Demarcation Point
    (1) The Network Demarcation Point forms the dividing line between
    Telecom's ownership of the network and a customer's ownership of the
    premises wiring. For most residential installations, this is the ETP,
    which is mounted on the outer wall of the building. In some situations
    the demarcation point may be the Telecom Network Termination (TNT).
    Under current Telecom practices, the building cable connects to the
    Telecom lead-in cable within the ETP.
    (2) Where no ETP is fitted, the demarcation point is now regarded as the
    point at which the cable enters the outer wall of the home or premises."
    colinco, Apr 14, 2005
    #9
  10. Sean McF

    Daver Guest

    I'm just going todismantle a standard one which will presumably do the job
    just as well.

    "Sean McF" <> wrote in message
    news:1113444619.179445@ftpsrv1...
    > Richard wrote:
    > > $99 of that is the adsl being enabled, the site visit is $149, and in my
    > > opinion its a fair charge - Try getting an electrician in to do some
    > > phone cabling and you will see that its not really that bad

    >
    > True Richard, very true. I failed to take that into account.
    >
    > The thing that disappoints me with this is in a previous life I was
    > employed by a contracted company and installed phone systems, alarm
    > systems and ADSL setups etc and I know how to do all this and have the
    > knowledge required and know just how simple it is to put in one of these
    > splitters. Just figured while I was redoing the home phone system
    > following some renovation I would take the opportunity.
    >
    > Looks like I may have to get in touch with someone from my past and see
    > if I get one that way. But I hate doing that.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Sean.
    Daver, Apr 14, 2005
    #10
  11. Sean McF

    EMB Guest

    Daver wrote:
    > I'm just going todismantle a standard one which will presumably do the job
    > just as well.


    The proper central ones are much better quality - you really notice it
    if you have to use a dial-up modem through them.


    --
    EMB
    EMB, Apr 14, 2005
    #11
  12. Sean McF

    Daver Guest

    Presumably thats the whole point. The inductors stop the high frequency
    stuff getting to the phone and being attenuated while the adsl is connected
    unrestricted.


    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Daver wrote:
    > > I'm just going todismantle a standard one which will presumably do the

    job
    > > just as well.

    >
    > No, it wont.
    >
    > The plug in ones I have looked at have had teh active components in only

    one of
    > the 2 wires, leading to an impedance mismatch on the line, which if you

    put a
    > lot of things on the outlet of the plug in one will really hammer the ADSL

    speed
    > down.
    >
    > You could butcher 2 of them to get 2 inductors etc, but that would be

    connecting
    > something non-telepermited to the network, which if you believe telecom is
    > something bad to do.
    Daver, Apr 15, 2005
    #12
  13. Sean McF

    wayne Guest

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 02:07:58 +1200, Sean McF wrote:

    > Am going to rewire the phone system in the house in a couple of weeks
    > time and figured I would put in a central ADSL splitter such as a D-Link
    > DSL-10SP. Anyone able to point me to a NZ retailer for the DSL-10SP or
    > similar? Whenever I do a search I just get the telepermitt details and
    > info about plug in filters etc.


    One of the filters Telecom use is made by Marque Magnetics. The white
    pages has a listing for Marque Magnetics, it is

    Marque Magnetics Ltd
    11 Culperry Rd Glendene Auckland
    0-9-818 6760

    See if you can get one off them, post back here and let us know how you
    got on.

    Cheers,

    Wayne
    wayne, Apr 16, 2005
    #13
  14. Sean McF

    Sean McF Guest

    Got one via a guy I used to work with at the best possible price- free!

    Cheers.

    Sean McF wrote:
    > Hi guys
    >
    > Am going to rewire the phone system in the house in a couple of weeks
    > time and figured I would put in a central ADSL splitter such as a D-Link
    > DSL-10SP. Anyone able to point me to a NZ retailer for the DSL-10SP or
    > similar? Whenever I do a search I just get the telepermitt details and
    > info about plug in filters etc.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Sean.
    Sean McF, Apr 18, 2005
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. enjay

    File Splitter

    enjay, Jul 3, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    712
    Plato
    Jul 3, 2003
  2. sss

    AVI Splitter

    sss, Jul 29, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    503
    gangle
    Jul 29, 2003
  3. Bigfred

    mp3 splitter

    Bigfred, Jul 10, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    1,756
    ProfGene
    Jul 11, 2004
  4. Gordon

    File splitter program

    Gordon, Aug 10, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    734
    Rosco
    Aug 11, 2004
  5. Lodi

    DIY ADSL Splitter

    Lodi, Apr 6, 2008, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    3,471
    Craig Shore
    Apr 7, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page