Censored DVDs for Rent - comments requested

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by ddmcd, Nov 30, 2004.

  1. ddmcd

    ddmcd Guest

    ddmcd, Nov 30, 2004

  2. ddmcd

    John Doe Guest

    I think it is kind of stupid. If you don't like what is in a movie then
    don't watch it. What is the point to watching a butcher movie and besides
    who are they to decide what is and isn't left in. I am surprised the movie
    studios haven't had a shit fit over this, it is copyright infringement and
    unless they are buying movies specifically to rent it is illegal to buy them
    at the store and turn around and rent them. So I strongly suspect what these
    people are doing is illegal on many fronts.

    John

    John Doe, Nov 30, 2004

  3. filmmakers already have to deal with enough cutting from producers and studios.
    The last thing they need are some wacked-out Mormons cutting their films down
    even more.

    I truly hope they get sued into oblivion
    Vlvetmorning98, Dec 1, 2004
  4. ddmcd

    Roger Zoul Guest

    ddmcd wrote:
    || On my blog a few days ago a Google "Adsense" ad for "Clean Films"
    || appeared -- this company censors DVDs after buying them, then rents
    || them.
    || I'm going to try to block the ads - don't feel good about promoting
    || this
    || concept -- but I'd be interested in hearing comments on what others
    || think abou this approach to censorship:
    http://ddmcd.squarespace.com/home-and-family/2004/11/27/gigolo-joe-what-do-you-know.html

    It's stupid and probably illegal. However, I'm sure there are people who'll
    buy these things rather than just not watch films that "need" this kind of
    "cleaniing".

    I don't see why you want to bother blocking the ads, though.
    Roger Zoul, Dec 1, 2004
  5. ddmcd

    Wild Coyote Guest

    On 01 Dec 2004 00:17:09 GMT, (Vlvetmorning98)
    wrote:

    >filmmakers already have to deal with enough cutting from producers and studios.
    >The last thing they need are some wacked-out Mormons cutting their films down
    >even more.
    >

    >I truly hope they get sued into oblivion

    I agree with that and you obviously know Mormons.

    --
    The Day PP was speechless, April 20, 2004.

    "This may actually be the strangest idea ever in abp. I think you got
    me, WC--I'm speechless. A guy in a female road runner suit... that's
    just not right."

    Wild Coyote
    wild_coyote<AT>whoppermail.com
    Wild Coyote, Dec 1, 2004
  6. ddmcd

    Jon Purkey Guest

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:35:34 GMT, ddmcd <> wrote:

    >On my blog a few days ago a Google "Adsense" ad for "Clean Films"
    >appeared -- this company censors DVDs after buying them, then rents them.
    >
    >I'm going to try to block the ads - don't feel good about promoting this
    >concept -- but I'd be interested in hearing comments on what others
    >think abou this approach to censorship:

    Is this the same as the DVD Player that is supposed to censor certain
    (about 500) DVDs? I seem to recall that the user/parent could set the
    level of censoring and what gets censored (violence, swearing, sex,
    etc.).

    If done properly I don't have a problem with it. Some movies wouldn't
    lose much plot if the sex and violence were removed and they could
    then be watched by the entire family.

    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)
    Jon Purkey, Dec 1, 2004