Cellular Broadband

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Paula ;), Aug 30, 2008.

  1. Paula ;)

    Paula ;) Guest

    Hi,

    I have an older desktop, bought a Dell laptop, added a wireless router
    and setup a home network using Network Magic. I have the desktop wired
    to the router along with a satellite internet connection. The
    satellite internet is not at all what I thought they would be and my
    plan was to be up soon, so I signed up with Verizon's cellular
    broadband for the laptop yesterday. I'm EXTREMELY impressed with the
    speeds I'm getting with cellular broadband and intend to keep it, and
    will be getting rid of the satellite internet shortly.

    My problem is, Network Magic is not recognizing the cellular broadband
    aircard plugged into one of the USB ports on my laptop, nor the laptop
    itself anymore for that matter. Could be because it's already seeing
    the satellite internet on my desktop, but I'm going to get rid of that
    shortly. Does anyone know if Network Magic is compatible with cellular
    aircards? I found nothing in the Knowledge Base on this.

    I basically want to ditch the satellite connection on the desktop and
    replace that connectoin with the cellular aircard on the laptop, all
    while still keeping the two on the wireless network... is that
    possible??

    Thanks in advance!

    Paula ;), Aug 30, 2008

  2. Paula ;)

    Pavel A. Guest

    The "aircard" is a cellular modem. It cannot
    connect between your two computers,
    for this you'll need another pair of netcards:
    wi-fi or wired.
    Network Magic will support your local wi-fi network
    as long as you're connected to the internet.

    Regards,
    --PA

    Pavel A., Aug 31, 2008

  3. Paula ;)

    Paula ;) Guest

    Netcards? I'll have to research those and see what they are.

    I just received word from Network Magic Tech Support that my internet
    connection needs to be wired to the Router in order to use Network
    Magic. So what I'll do is get rid of Network Magic and the satellite
    internet modem and go from there figuring out how to use the cellular
    aircard on a wirless network, IF possible.

    Thanks!
    Paula

    Paula ;), Sep 1, 2008
  4. Paula ;)

    Lem Guest

    Paula ;) wrote:
    > Netcards? I'll have to research those and see what they are.
    >
    > I just received word from Network Magic Tech Support that my internet
    > connection needs to be wired to the Router in order to use Network
    > Magic. So what I'll do is get rid of Network Magic and the satellite
    > internet modem and go from there figuring out how to use the cellular
    > aircard on a wirless network, IF possible.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Paula

    The easiest way to use a cellular aircard with a wireless network is to
    get a wireless router that incorporates a slot that accepts the card.
    See, for example only, http://tinyurl.com/54r2r9 (Linksys Verizon version)
    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Sep 1, 2008
  5. Paula ;)

    Paula ;) Guest

    On Sep 1, 3:34 pm, Lem <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote:
    > Paula ;) wrote:
    > > Netcards?  I'll have to research those and see what they are.

    > > I just received word from Network Magic Tech Support that my internet
    > > connection needs to be wired to the Router in order to use Network
    > > Magic.  So what I'll do is get rid of Network Magic and the satellite
    > > internet modem and go from there figuring out how to use thecellular
    > > aircard on a wirless network, IF possible.

    > > Thanks!
    > > Paula

    > The easiest way to use acellularaircard with a wireless network is to
    > get a wireless router that incorporates a slot that accepts the card.
    > See, for example only,http://tinyurl.com/54r2r9(Linksys Verizon version)
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP
    >
    > To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computerhttp://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm

    That's a great idea and I was just wondering about that last night if
    I could install the aircard right to the router (D-Link WBR-2310).
    I'll have to check around to see if there are any that accept the
    aircard I just bought (Verizon USB727) because the one in your example
    doesn't look like it's for a USB card.

    I know I'm doing this ass-backwards, but I'll work it out somehow!
    All I know is, the cellular speeds are lightning FAST compared to
    satellite, not to mention it doesn't go out on a whim... =-)

    Thanks!
    Paula

    Paula ;), Sep 2, 2008
  6. D-Link talked about building one that would accept USB types. I haven't
    heard that this actually happened. Even if the router has USB ports it
    doesn't mean it will work.

    You'll probably have to swap the USB adapter for a "PC Card" Adapter with
    your Cell Provider

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Sep 2, 2008
  7. Paula ;)

    Paula ;) Guest

    My router doesn't have a USB port. But swapping the aircard's another
    option. I'll have to figure out whether it's easier (cheaper) to swap
    the aircard or change the router.

    Thanks!
    Paula

    Paula ;), Sep 2, 2008
  8. Paula ;)

    Lem Guest

    I think what you'll want to do is to swap your aircard (for a PC-Card
    type) *and* get a new router that will work with the PC-Card aircard.
    The router isn't cheap ($130 or so), but it'll do what you want.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Sep 3, 2008
  9. Paula ;)

    Paula ;) Guest

    Yea, you're right, I'd have to do both since the router I have now
    only has a port for a network cable. Wait, does a wireless network
    *need* to have an internet connection?

    I would have no problem removing my satellite internet from my old
    desktop (planned to anyway) and leaving that computer without internet
    at all, since I already have the *faster* cellular broadband on the
    *faster* laptop. The only reason I really want to keep the wireless
    network for is so that I can print from the laptop thru the desktop,
    since the desktop has my printers hooked up to it. That's my best
    option, I think!

    I mean, if I really needed internet on that desktop at any time, I
    could always pull the Verizon aircard from the laptop and use it in
    the desktop.

    Thanks,
    Paula

    Paula ;), Sep 3, 2008
  10. Paula ;)

    Lem Guest

    Paula ;) wrote:
    > Yea, you're right, I'd have to do both since the router I have now
    > only has a port for a network cable. Wait, does a wireless network
    > *need* to have an internet connection?
    >
    > I would have no problem removing my satellite internet from my old
    > desktop (planned to anyway) and leaving that computer without internet
    > at all, since I already have the *faster* cellular broadband on the
    > *faster* laptop. The only reason I really want to keep the wireless
    > network for is so that I can print from the laptop thru the desktop,
    > since the desktop has my printers hooked up to it. That's my best
    > option, I think!
    >
    > I mean, if I really needed internet on that desktop at any time, I
    > could always pull the Verizon aircard from the laptop and use it in
    > the desktop.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Paula

    A local network, wired or wireless, is just a bunch of computers that
    can communicate with each other and share resources (files and printers)
    if properly configured. If the local network happens to be connected to
    the Internet through a router, then all of the local computers can share
    that Internet connection.

    Thus, "Does a wireless network *need* to have an internet connection?"
    No. But unless you want to share files or printers among local
    computers, if you don't want the local network to have an Internet
    connection, there's not much point in having a local network.

    Most home wireless routers, and the Linksys WRT54G3G-VN which I used as
    an example is no exception, have 4 Ethernet ports that may be used to
    connect wired local computers in addition any computers that connect to
    the router via wireless.

    Thus, if you swapped your current Verizon broadband USB adapter for a
    Verizon broadband PC-Card and bought a router with capabilities similar
    to the WRT54G3G-VN, you could:

    - remove the satellite Internet connection from the desktop and connect
    an Ethernet cable between the desktop and the router,
    - use the built-in wireless capability of your new laptop,

    and thereby have broadband access via the Verizon aircard for *both*
    computers simultaneously (not to mention the ability to share resources
    between the desktop and the laptop if you decide you want to do that).
    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Sep 3, 2008
  11. Paula ;)

    Paula ;) Guest

    On Sep 3, 6:08 pm, Lem <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote:
    > Paula ;) wrote:
    > > Yea, you're right, I'd have to do both since the router I have now
    > > only has a port for a network cable.  Wait, does a wireless network
    > > *need* to have an internet connection?

    > > I would have no problem removing my satellite internet from my old
    > > desktop (planned to anyway) and leaving that computer without internet
    > > at all, since I already have the *faster* cellular broadband on the
    > > *faster* laptop.  The only reason I really want to keep the wireless
    > > network for is so that I can print from the laptop thru the desktop,
    > > since the desktop has my printers hooked up to it.  That's my best
    > > option, I think!

    > > I mean, if I really needed internet on that desktop at any time, I
    > > could always pull the Verizon aircard from the laptop and use it in
    > > the desktop.

    > > Thanks,
    > > Paula

    > A local network, wired or wireless, is just a bunch of computers that
    > can communicate with each other and share resources (files and printers)
    > if properly configured.  If the local network happens to be connected to
    > the Internet through a router, then all of the local computers can share
    > that Internet connection.
    >
    > Thus, "Does a wireless network *need* to have an internet connection?"
    > No.  But unless you want to share files or printers among local
    > computers, if you don't want the local network to have an Internet
    > connection, there's not much point in having a local network.
    >
    > Most home wireless routers, and the Linksys WRT54G3G-VN which I used as
    > an example is no exception, have 4 Ethernet ports that may be used to
    > connect wired local computers in addition any computers that connect to
    > the router via wireless.
    >
    > Thus, if you swapped your current Verizon broadband USB adapter for a
    > Verizon broadband PC-Card and bought a router with capabilities similar
    > to the WRT54G3G-VN, you could:
    >
    > - remove the satellite Internet connection from the desktop and connect
    > an Ethernet cable between the desktop and the router,
    > - use the built-in wireless capability of your new laptop,
    >
    > and thereby have broadband access via the Verizon aircard for *both*
    > computers simultaneously (not to mention the ability to share resources
    > between the desktop and the laptop if you decide you want to do that).
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP
    >
    > To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computerhttp://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm- Hide quoted text -

    What I think I'm going to do is simply install Verizon's software on
    the desktop also, so that if I ever need internet there, I can just
    plug the USB727 modem in and go. I really haven't even used that
    desktop for internet since I got the laptop

    I'm going to try to keep my current router (D-Link WBR-2310), so I
    uninstalled Network Magic from both computers this morning, and when I
    get home I'll attempt to setup the router for just a wireless network
    between the two w/o internet. I glanced over the D-Link quick setup
    sheet this morning and it says it needs an internet connection to
    install, so we'll see if I can make this work w/o it!

    Thanks,
    Paula

    Paula ;), Sep 4, 2008
  12. Paula ;)

    Lem Guest

    Paula ;) wrote:
> [...]

    >> Lem -- MS-MVP
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computerhttp://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm- Hide quoted text -

    > What I think I'm going to do is simply install Verizon's software on
    > the desktop also, so that if I ever need internet there, I can just
    > plug the USB727 modem in and go. I really haven't even used that
    > desktop for internet since I got the laptop
    >
    > I'm going to try to keep my current router (D-Link WBR-2310), so I
    > uninstalled Network Magic from both computers this morning, and when I
    > get home I'll attempt to setup the router for just a wireless network
    > between the two w/o internet. I glanced over the D-Link quick setup
    > sheet this morning and it says it needs an internet connection to
    > install, so we'll see if I can make this work w/o it!

    If you're going to use the router to network the desktop and the laptop,
    you could (if you wanted to) use XP's Internet Connection Sharing to
    access the Internet from the desktop. Or, as you say, just plug in the
    USB modem when you need it. Good luck with your endeavors, and if you
    have problems, post back.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Sep 4, 2008
  13. Paula ;)

    Paula ;) Guest

    "Lem" wrote:

    > Paula ;) wrote:
    > >> A local network, wired or wireless, is just a bunch of computers that
    > >> can communicate with each other and share resources (files and printers)
    > >> if properly configured. If the local network happens to be connected to
    > >> the Internet through a router, then all of the local computers can share
    > >> that Internet connection.
    > >>
    > >> Thus, "Does a wireless network *need* to have an internet connection?"
    > >> No. But unless you want to share files or printers among local
    > >> computers, if you don't want the local network to have an Internet
    > >> connection, there's not much point in having a local network.
    > >>
    > >> Most home wireless routers, and the Linksys WRT54G3G-VN which I used as
    > >> an example is no exception, have 4 Ethernet ports that may be used to
    > >> connect wired local computers in addition any computers that connect to
    > >> the router via wireless.
    > >>
    > >> Thus, if you swapped your current Verizon broadband USB adapter for a
    > >> Verizon broadband PC-Card and bought a router with capabilities similar
    > >> to the WRT54G3G-VN, you could:
    > >>
    > >> - remove the satellite Internet connection from the desktop and connect
    > >> an Ethernet cable between the desktop and the router,
    > >> - use the built-in wireless capability of your new laptop,
    > >>
    > >> and thereby have broadband access via the Verizon aircard for *both*
    > >> computers simultaneously (not to mention the ability to share resources
    > >> between the desktop and the laptop if you decide you want to do that).
    > >> --
    > >> Lem -- MS-MVP
    > >>
    > >> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computerhttp://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm- Hide quoted text -

    > > What I think I'm going to do is simply install Verizon's software on
    > > the desktop also, so that if I ever need internet there, I can just
    > > plug the USB727 modem in and go. I really haven't even used that
    > > desktop for internet since I got the laptop
    > >
    > > I'm going to try to keep my current router (D-Link WBR-2310), so I
    > > uninstalled Network Magic from both computers this morning, and when I
    > > get home I'll attempt to setup the router for just a wireless network
    > > between the two w/o internet. I glanced over the D-Link quick setup
    > > sheet this morning and it says it needs an internet connection to
    > > install, so we'll see if I can make this work w/o it!
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Paula

    > If you're going to use the router to network the desktop and the laptop,
    > you could (if you wanted to) use XP's Internet Connection Sharing to
    > access the Internet from the desktop. Or, as you say, just plug in the
    > USB modem when you need it. Good luck with your endeavors, and if you
    > have problems, post back.
    >
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP

    Well, I haven't had much time to work on it, but this morning I decided to
    delete the existing network connection, reset the router, and start from
    scratch rather than try to make the original settings work. But I can't find
    any instructions on setting up a wireless network WITHOUT having an internet
    connection! Everything I read talks about connecting your modem to your
    router and doing the configuration on the web.

    Anybody know of any instructions that will allow me to manually configure
    this router without a modem involved in the setup? D-Link's user manual on
    the CD is useless, and I'm NOT calling India for Tech Support. I called it
    the other day and could hardly understand the guy. I understand he needs to
    make a living too, but this is way too, much out of my expertise to have the
    patience to try to understand him at the same time I'm trying to understand
    what I'm doing. =-/

    Thanks!
    Paula

    Paula ;), Sep 6, 2008
  14. Paula ;)

    Lem Guest

    Paula ;) wrote:

    > Well, I haven't had much time to work on it, but this morning I decided to
    > delete the existing network connection, reset the router, and start from
    > scratch rather than try to make the original settings work. But I can't find
    > any instructions on setting up a wireless network WITHOUT having an internet
    > connection! Everything I read talks about connecting your modem to your
    > router and doing the configuration on the web.
    >
    > Anybody know of any instructions that will allow me to manually configure
    > this router without a modem involved in the setup? D-Link's user manual on
    > the CD is useless, and I'm NOT calling India for Tech Support. I called it
    > the other day and could hardly understand the guy. I understand he needs to
    > make a living too, but this is way too, much out of my expertise to have the
    > patience to try to understand him at the same time I'm trying to understand
    > what I'm doing. =-/
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Paula

    You do NOT need an Internet connection to configure your wireless
    network. If you let me know the model of your D-Link router, I'll tell
    you where to look in its manual.

    The router should work pretty well out of the box with no configuration
    at all for a wireless network with no Internet connection. You really
    only have to configure 3 or 4 things:

    - Change the password used to access the configuration utility
    - Set wireless encryption mode and password (preferably use
    WPA2-personal) (how new is your laptop?)
    - Change SSID from default to something you'll recognize (other than
    your last name or address)
    - If you run into interference from a nearby wireless network you might
    want to change the channel your router uses, but I'd leave that alone
    initially.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Sep 6, 2008
  15. Paula ;)

    Paula ;) Guest

    "Lem" wrote:

    > Paula ;) wrote:
    >
    > > Well, I haven't had much time to work on it, but this morning I decided to
    > > delete the existing network connection, reset the router, and start from
    > > scratch rather than try to make the original settings work. But I can't find
    > > any instructions on setting up a wireless network WITHOUT having an internet
    > > connection! Everything I read talks about connecting your modem to your
    > > router and doing the configuration on the web.
    > >
    > > Anybody know of any instructions that will allow me to manually configure
    > > this router without a modem involved in the setup? D-Link's user manual on
    > > the CD is useless, and I'm NOT calling India for Tech Support. I called it
    > > the other day and could hardly understand the guy. I understand he needs to
    > > make a living too, but this is way too, much out of my expertise to have the
    > > patience to try to understand him at the same time I'm trying to understand
    > > what I'm doing. =-/
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > > Paula

    > You do NOT need an Internet connection to configure your wireless
    > network. If you let me know the model of your D-Link router, I'll tell
    > you where to look in its manual.
    >
    > The router should work pretty well out of the box with no configuration
    > at all for a wireless network with no Internet connection. You really
    > only have to configure 3 or 4 things:
    >
    > - Change the password used to access the configuration utility
    > - Set wireless encryption mode and password (preferably use
    > WPA2-personal) (how new is your laptop?)
    > - Change SSID from default to something you'll recognize (other than
    > your last name or address)
    > - If you run into interference from a nearby wireless network you might
    > want to change the channel your router uses, but I'd leave that alone
    > initially.
    >
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP

    Well, in my frustration (which happens when I'm out of my comfort zone), I
    decided walk away from this and started staining my deck to do some thinking.
    I worked on the network during breaks. And yes, you're right (of course) I
    didn't need an internet connection.

    Not sure how I did it, but I DID get the desktop (wired to the router) and
    the router back on a LAN, BUT now I can't get the laptop right. Apparently
    the laptop IS seeing the network because when I just got home and booted up
    the laptop, Verizon's VZAccess Manager, which usually starts up and goes
    right to a broadband connection, THIS TIME showed that it was *trying* to
    make the broadband connection AND also listed my wireless network too! So
    this Verizon software is trying to make BOTH connections! I disabled the
    Wireless Network Connection in Network Connections and it went ahead and made
    the broadband connection so I could get online.

    Thanks,
    Paula

    Paula ;), Sep 7, 2008
  16. Paula ;)

    Paula ;) Guest

    Paula ;), Sep 7, 2008
  17. Paula ;)

    Paula ;) Guest

    "Paula ;)" wrote:

> [...]

    > decided walk away from this and started staining my deck to do some thinking.
    > I worked on the network during breaks. And yes, you're right (of course) I
    > didn't need an internet connection.
    >
    > Not sure how I did it, but I DID get the desktop (wired to the router) and
    > the router back on a LAN, BUT now I can't get the laptop right. Apparently
    > the laptop IS seeing the network because when I just got home and booted up
    > the laptop, Verizon's VZAccess Manager, which usually starts up and goes
    > right to a broadband connection, THIS TIME showed that it was *trying* to
    > make the broadband connection AND also listed my wireless network too! So
    > this Verizon software is trying to make BOTH connections! I disabled the
    > Wireless Network Connection in Network Connections and it went ahead and made
    > the broadband connection so I could get online.

    UPDATE: I'm able to connect to both the broadband and the wireless network,
    BUT even after sharing folders on both computers, I'm not able to see the
    shared files of the other computer. I am able to see the printers on the
    desktop from the laptop tho.

    On the laptop, when I try to click on Mshome in My Network Places, I get a
    error dialog about not having "permissions to use this network resource".
    One the desktop, I can SEE the laptop from the desktop under Mshome, but I
    get the same "permissions" error when I try to click on it. I know this is
    just some stupid little setting somewhere that I'm missing!

    Thanks,
    Paula

    Paula ;), Sep 7, 2008
  18. Paula ;)

    Paula ;) Guest

    Paula ;), Sep 7, 2008
  19. Paula ;)

    Joan Archer Guest

    Have no idea if this helps but have you got them both allowed through your
    firewall, I think a permission thing is often to do with misconfigured
    firewalls.
    Just my thoughts, <g>

    --
    Joan Archer