Cellphone selection help wanted

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Who Am I, Oct 20, 2005.

  1. Who Am I

    Who Am I Guest

    My requirements for a cellphone are this

    NO camera, sorry I work in areas where cameras are banned

    Bluetooth, hey I need to sync my diary between my Mac at home and my Mac
    at work and to carry it with me for reference.

    Cost must be low, its a phone for gods sake, a basic phone can be
    puchaced for under $100, bluetooth adaptors for about $60 and a bit of
    extra RAM for about $30, so the phone with these basic features should
    be about $300 MAX.

    I don't give a toss about wallpapers, ring tones, Java games, MP3
    playing, and all the little wanky toys for kids, I am looking for a
    basic, functional, reliable TOOL for work.

    So, without trolling through ever make and model, does anyone have any
    recomendations, remember I and the people I work with a Macintosh
    reliant and no, I am not interested in the childish Mac VS Wintel
    debate, we have chosen the best platform for what we do and don't give a
    toss if it does not work for you.

    Who Am I, Oct 20, 2005

  2. Who Am I

    EMB Guest

    Who Am I wrote:
    > My requirements for a cellphone are this
    >
    > NO camera, sorry I work in areas where cameras are banned
    >
    > Bluetooth, hey I need to sync my diary between my Mac at home and my Mac
    > at work and to carry it with me for reference.
    >
    > Cost must be low, its a phone for gods sake, a basic phone can be
    > puchaced for under $100, bluetooth adaptors for about $60 and a bit of
    > extra RAM for about $30, so the phone with these basic features should
    > be about $300 MAX.

    Do you need bluetooth or could you manage to spring for a USB cable for
    each computer? If you go the USB route then there's a few Nokia phones
    that fit the bill

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Oct 20, 2005

  3. Who Am I

    Who Am I Guest

    In article <dj6k05$e45$>, EMB <>
    wrote:

    > Who Am I wrote:
    > > My requirements for a cellphone are this
    > >
    > > NO camera, sorry I work in areas where cameras are banned
    > >
    > > Bluetooth, hey I need to sync my diary between my Mac at home and my Mac
    > > at work and to carry it with me for reference.
    > >
    > > Cost must be low, its a phone for gods sake, a basic phone can be
    > > puchaced for under $100, bluetooth adaptors for about $60 and a bit of
    > > extra RAM for about $30, so the phone with these basic features should
    > > be about $300 MAX.

    > Do you need bluetooth or could you manage to spring for a USB cable for
    > each computer? If you go the USB route then there's a few Nokia phones
    > that fit the bill

    Ideally Bluetooth simply because I hate cables and I have a laptop which
    I transport all over the place which has in-built BT.

    I sold off my Palm simply because it was then 2 devices I had to have in
    my pocket which is a major hassle, I am a service engineer who spends a
    lot of time on the floor under equipment and stuff in pockets is a pain.

    Being able to have my diary on the phone as I enter stuff into my main
    diary will be a god send.

    Who Am I, Oct 20, 2005
  4. Who Am I

    David Guest

    Who Am I wrote:
    > My requirements for a cellphone are this
    >
    > NO camera, sorry I work in areas where cameras are banned
    >
    > Bluetooth, hey I need to sync my diary between my Mac at home and my Mac
    > at work and to carry it with me for reference.
    >
    > Cost must be low, its a phone for gods sake, a basic phone can be
    > puchaced for under $100, bluetooth adaptors for about $60 and a bit of
    > extra RAM for about $30, so the phone with these basic features should
    > be about $300 MAX.
    >
    > I don't give a toss about wallpapers, ring tones, Java games, MP3
    > playing, and all the little wanky toys for kids, I am looking for a
    > basic, functional, reliable TOOL for work.
    >
    > So, without trolling through ever make and model, does anyone have any
    > recomendations, remember I and the people I work with a Macintosh
    > reliant and no, I am not interested in the childish Mac VS Wintel
    > debate, we have chosen the best platform for what we do and don't give a
    > toss if it does not work for you.

    The nokia 6021 may fit the bill, I have the 6020, the 6021 is identical
    except no camera and bluetooth added. I'm not that impressed with my
    6020 as far as usability goes, the menus are quite slow, but i think
    that is the norm with the bloated software that goes onto them, and
    vodafone has screwed around with it (buy a parallel imported one to
    avoid this, mine was with the vodafone trade-in deal), it seems they
    have disabled some of the more useful settings (security keyguard etc)
    and have locked the mail app so it can only connect to vodafone's IMAP
    server, as well as adding a lame vodafone logo splash screen when i turn
    it on.
    BTW, does anyone know if its possible to remove these restrictions if i
    buy a USB cable, or otherwise?

    David, Oct 20, 2005
  5. Who Am I

    Who Am I Guest

    In article <EBA5f.1474$>,
    David <> wrote:

    > Who Am I wrote:
    > > My requirements for a cellphone are this
    > >
    > > NO camera, sorry I work in areas where cameras are banned
    > >
    > > Bluetooth, hey I need to sync my diary between my Mac at home and my Mac
    > > at work and to carry it with me for reference.
    > >
    > > Cost must be low, its a phone for gods sake, a basic phone can be
    > > puchaced for under $100, bluetooth adaptors for about $60 and a bit of
    > > extra RAM for about $30, so the phone with these basic features should
    > > be about $300 MAX.
    > >
    > > I don't give a toss about wallpapers, ring tones, Java games, MP3
    > > playing, and all the little wanky toys for kids, I am looking for a
    > > basic, functional, reliable TOOL for work.
    > >
    > > So, without trolling through ever make and model, does anyone have any
    > > recomendations, remember I and the people I work with a Macintosh
    > > reliant and no, I am not interested in the childish Mac VS Wintel
    > > debate, we have chosen the best platform for what we do and don't give a
    > > toss if it does not work for you.

    > The nokia 6021 may fit the bill, I have the 6020, the 6021 is identical
    > except no camera and bluetooth added. I'm not that impressed with my
    > 6020 as far as usability goes, the menus are quite slow, but i think
    > that is the norm with the bloated software that goes onto them, and
    > vodafone has screwed around with it (buy a parallel imported one to
    > avoid this, mine was with the vodafone trade-in deal), it seems they
    > have disabled some of the more useful settings (security keyguard etc)
    > and have locked the mail app so it can only connect to vodafone's IMAP
    > server, as well as adding a lame vodafone logo splash screen when i turn
    > it on.
    > BTW, does anyone know if its possible to remove these restrictions if i
    > buy a USB cable, or otherwise?

    I have looked at the 6021 but it is NOT compatible with a Mac judging
    from all the reviews I have read. This may change later, or not, who can
    tell.

    Who Am I, Oct 20, 2005
  6. Who Am I

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:05:07 +1300, Who Am I wrote:

    > we have chosen the best platform for what we do and don't give a
    > toss if it does not work for you.

    And you want advice from us? What has this got to do with phones?

    Gordon, Oct 20, 2005
  7. In <> Who Am I wrote:

    > NO camera, sorry I work in areas where cameras are banned
    > Bluetooth, hey I need to sync my diary between my Mac at home and my
    > Mac at work and to carry it with me for reference.
    >
    > Cost must be low, its a phone for gods sake, a basic phone can be
    > puchaced for under $100, bluetooth adaptors for about $60 and a bit of
    > extra RAM for about $30, so the phone with these basic features should
    > be about $300 MAX.
    >
    > I don't give a toss about wallpapers, ring tones, Java games, MP3
    > playing, and all the little wanky toys for kids, I am looking for a
    > basic, functional, reliable TOOL for work.

    If you haven't already, have a look here:
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html

    Just be wary of the fact that your Mac will only sync with all of these
    models if you are running the latest version of iSync and OS X.4. Older
    versions of iSync have more limited support.

    I would recommend that you take the list from the page above, and filter
    it down by determining which models are available in New Zealand (www.
    vodafone.co.nz would be a good resource for this purpose). Having done
    that, you will have a handful of feasible options and you can
    investigate which ones have the features that you require.

    --
    Regards, Alastair.
    Wellington, New Zealand

    My supplied email address is fake. Any views expressed in this posting
    are personal and its content remains the property of Alastair. Alastair
    accepts no responsibility for any misinformation resulting from this
    posting.

    Alastair .geek.nz, Oct 20, 2005
  8. On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:05:07 +1300, Who Am I wrote:

    > My requirements for a cellphone are this
    >
    > NO camera, sorry I work in areas where cameras are banned
    >
    > Bluetooth, hey I need to sync my diary between my Mac at home and my Mac
    > at work and to carry it with me for reference.
    >
    > Cost must be low, its a phone for gods sake, a basic phone can be
    > puchaced for under $100, bluetooth adaptors for about $60 and a bit of
    > extra RAM for about $30, so the phone with these basic features should
    > be about $300 MAX.
    >
    > I don't give a toss about wallpapers, ring tones, Java games, MP3
    > playing, and all the little wanky toys for kids, I am looking for a
    > basic, functional, reliable TOOL for work.
    >
    > So, without trolling through ever make and model, does anyone have any
    > recomendations, remember I and the people I work with a Macintosh
    > reliant and no, I am not interested in the childish Mac VS Wintel
    > debate, we have chosen the best platform for what we do and don't give a
    > toss if it does not work for you.

    I would recommend a Sony Ericsson T68i although you might want to check Mac
    support and also whether the keys are too small for you or not.

    Here's their guff:
    http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=nz&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pp1_1_1&zone=pp&lm=pp1&pid=9932

    HTH,
    John