    a month.

    Are there phones that have a USB connections and don't require web access.

    Thanks.

    Beach Runner, Mar 6, 2006

  2. Beach Runner

    Tesco News Guest

    "Beach Runner" <> wrote in message
    news:HAZOf.57625$...

    > Greetings,
    >
    > It would be convenient to have a cell phone that included a camera for
    > various reasons.
    >
    > However, SPRINT says you need to have Web access with them. I have no
    > desire to read email on my phone, and certainly not to pay an extra $15
    > a month.
    >
    > Are there phones that have a USB connections and don't require web access.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Who cares!

    Digital Cameras, Scanners and Printers have USB connections.

    Any phone is just a bloody nuisance.

    Roy G

    Tesco News, Mar 6, 2006

  3. Beach Runner

    Pat Guest

    Yikes, talk about unhelpful and unprovoked anger from Tesco News. I
    hope he gets his meds balanced pretty soon.

    Motorola and Samsung (and probably others) have phones that take memory
    cards that you stick into a card reader. The new ones are Transflash
    and the older ones were mini-SD or something like that.

    Many will also take a data cable to transfer between your computer and
    camera (oops, I mean phone).

    Pat, Mar 6, 2006
  4. Beach Runner

    scott Guest

    "Pat" <> wrote in message
    > Yikes, talk about unhelpful and unprovoked anger from Tesco News. I
    > hope he gets his meds balanced pretty soon.
    >
    > Motorola and Samsung (and probably others) have phones that take
    > memory cards that you stick into a card reader. The new ones are
    > Transflash and the older ones were mini-SD or something like that.
    >
    > Many will also take a data cable to transfer between your computer
    > and camera (oops, I mean phone).

    I think nearly every phone with a camera will provide you with a means of
    getting the photos off, whether it will be IR, bluetooth, USB or memory
    card.

    What might be the problem is that your provider is only giving out those
    phones with the special contract, rather than the phones physically being
    unable to do it.

    scott, Mar 6, 2006
  5. Beach Runner

    Tesco News Guest

    "Pat" <> wrote in message
    > Yikes, talk about unhelpful and unprovoked anger from Tesco News. I
    > hope he gets his meds balanced pretty soon.
    >
    > Motorola and Samsung (and probably others) have phones that take memory
    > cards that you stick into a card reader. The new ones are Transflash
    > and the older ones were mini-SD or something like that.
    >
    > Many will also take a data cable to transfer between your computer and
    > camera (oops, I mean phone).

    Hi all.

    I am not on any meds,

    I am just naturally a Grumpy Old Git, even before I got old.

    I have a phone, and need it for business.

    I even have a cell phone, but I don't like phones. My cell phone only makes
    and receives phone calls. It might be able to text, but I have never
    bothered finding out. It certainly can not take photos or get Email.

    I hate getting phone calls from people I do not know, who want to sell me
    something I don't want or need. If they should happen to be promoting
    anything to do with telecommunications I get extremely rude. I also happen
    to think that Call Centres were designed specifically to create and spread
    Mental Illnesses, and probably have a lot to do with the increasing suicide
    rates.

    As for all those people who go about with a phone stuck permanently to their
    ear, are they aware that in order to work on a Cell Phone Mast, the Techs
    must wear Radiation Detectors.

    I dread the day when every new Camera and new Car will have a built in
    phone.

    Roy G

    Tesco News, Mar 7, 2006
  6. Beach Runner

    Pat Guest

    I understand and respect your position. In fact, I downloaded a
    ringtone for my cell phone that sounds like a real phone ringing
    because I wanted my phone to sound like a phone (to which the kids said
    "why would you want a phone that sounds like that?"

    But the world is changing. Even you switched from film to digital, so
    you can't be too stuck in the past! I bet you even have a touchtone
    phone instead of calling Clara down in Central every time you want to
    place a call.

    But the OP had a question. There's no need to be nasty just for the
    sake of being nasty. If you didn't care about the question or the
    answer, why not just go on to the next post?

    As for "who cares?". Well, Beach Runner cares and I care and Scott
    cares and probably a bunch of other people.

    Why not take your skill, talent and experience and help out newbies
    other people who have questions -- like you have been helped in the
    past -- instead of posting useless nonsense, correcting grammar, etc.
    Otherwise, we will all start splitting infinitives just to greatly
    annoy you :)

    Stay well.

    Pat.

    Pat, Mar 7, 2006
  7. Beach Runner

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Beach Runner wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > It would be convenient to have a cell phone that included a camera for
    > various reasons.
    >
    > However, SPRINT says you need to have Web access with them. I have no
    > desire to read email on my phone, and certainly not to pay an extra $15
    > a month.
    >
    > Are there phones that have a USB connections and don't require web access.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Yes, the Motorola V220, and the V551 both can connect to USB with
    suitable cables.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 7, 2006
  8. Beach Runner

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Tesco News wrote:
    > "Beach Runner" <> wrote in message
    >> Greetings,
    >>
    >> It would be convenient to have a cell phone that included a camera for
    >> various reasons.
    >>
    >> However, SPRINT says you need to have Web access with them. I have no
    >> desire to read email on my phone, and certainly not to pay an extra $15
    >> a month.
    >>
    >> Are there phones that have a USB connections and don't require web access.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Who cares!
    >
    > Digital Cameras, Scanners and Printers have USB connections.
    >
    > Any phone is just a bloody nuisance.
    >
    > Roy G

    I suspect that many people will disagree with you on that. They are one
    of the most convenient electronic items I use.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 7, 2006
  9. Beach Runner

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Tesco News wrote:
    > "Pat" <> wrote in message
    >> Yikes, talk about unhelpful and unprovoked anger from Tesco News. I
    >> hope he gets his meds balanced pretty soon.
    >>
    >> Motorola and Samsung (and probably others) have phones that take memory
    >> cards that you stick into a card reader. The new ones are Transflash
    >> and the older ones were mini-SD or something like that.
    >>
    >> Many will also take a data cable to transfer between your computer and
    >> camera (oops, I mean phone).
    >>

    > Hi all.
    >
    > I am not on any meds,
    >
    > I am just naturally a Grumpy Old Git, even before I got old.
    >
    > I have a phone, and need it for business.
    >
    > I even have a cell phone, but I don't like phones. My cell phone only makes
    > and receives phone calls. It might be able to text, but I have never
    > bothered finding out. It certainly can not take photos or get Email.
    >
    > I hate getting phone calls from people I do not know, who want to sell me
    > something I don't want or need. If they should happen to be promoting
    > anything to do with telecommunications I get extremely rude. I also happen
    > to think that Call Centres were designed specifically to create and spread
    > Mental Illnesses, and probably have a lot to do with the increasing suicide
    > rates.
    >
    > As for all those people who go about with a phone stuck permanently to their
    > ear, are they aware that in order to work on a Cell Phone Mast, the Techs
    > must wear Radiation Detectors.
    >
    > I dread the day when every new Camera and new Car will have a built in
    > phone.
    >
    > Roy G

    Roy,
    Perhaps you need to find a cave in a remote area, drive there, and
    push the car off into a ravine. BTW, haven't you listed your numbers in
    the 'do not call' registry? If not, do it now.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 7, 2006
  10. Beach Runner

    amuzed Guest

    You can buy the USB kit (includes software) from electronics stores, such as
    Fry's.
    It used to cost around $80 a year ago.

    amuzed, Mar 7, 2006
  11. Beach Runner

    Tesco News Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Tesco News wrote:
    >> "Pat" <> wrote in message
    >>> Yikes, talk about unhelpful and unprovoked anger from Tesco News. I
    >>> hope he gets his meds balanced pretty soon.
    >>>
    >>> Motorola and Samsung (and probably others) have phones that take memory
    >>> cards that you stick into a card reader. The new ones are Transflash
    >>> and the older ones were mini-SD or something like that.
    >>>
    >>> Many will also take a data cable to transfer between your computer and
    >>> camera (oops, I mean phone).
    >>>

    >> Hi all.
    >>
    >> I am not on any meds,
    >>
    >> I am just naturally a Grumpy Old Git, even before I got old.
    >>
    >> I have a phone, and need it for business.
    >>
    >> I even have a cell phone, but I don't like phones. My cell phone only
    >> makes and receives phone calls. It might be able to text, but I have
    >> never bothered finding out. It certainly can not take photos or get
    >> Email.
    >>
    >> I hate getting phone calls from people I do not know, who want to sell me
    >> something I don't want or need. If they should happen to be promoting
    >> anything to do with telecommunications I get extremely rude. I also
    >> happen to think that Call Centres were designed specifically to create
    >> and spread Mental Illnesses, and probably have a lot to do with the
    >> increasing suicide rates.
    >>
    >> As for all those people who go about with a phone stuck permanently to
    >> their ear, are they aware that in order to work on a Cell Phone Mast, the
    >> Techs must wear Radiation Detectors.
    >>
    >> I dread the day when every new Camera and new Car will have a built in
    >> phone.
    >>
    >> Roy G
    >>

    > Roy,
    > Perhaps you need to find a cave in a remote area, drive there, and push
    > the car off into a ravine. BTW, haven't you listed your numbers in the
    > 'do not call' registry? If not, do it now.

    Hi.

    Of course I have registered my number for "No Sales Calls", but the bastards
    still keep phoning, and witholding their number. And you can't make official
    complaints without the offenders number.

    It is only phones that I don't like.

    I quite like my car. But if one ever came fitted with an In Car Phone, my
    opinion might change.

    I am not aware of attempting to correct anyones Grammar.

    I might have made remarks about American's inability to use cutlery, and
    their weird taste in politicians, but Grammar - no way.

    Roy G

    Tesco News, Mar 7, 2006
  12. Beach Runner

    Pat Guest

    Don't know where you live, but in the US, it seems like there's a
    commercial every 15 minutes for cars with On-star or ones that do
    self-diagnostics and then email the results to you. Built in phones
    are here.

    http://www.onstar.com/

    Better keep the oil changed in your old alopy. You might need to hang
    on to it for a few more years.

    If you want to be scared, don't worry about car phones -- go look at
    what info the OBD-II in your car tracks. With a simple upgrade from
    the parts store, it makes one hell of a way to spy on someone. Even
    without the upgrade, it's a little Big Brother-ish.

    Pat, Mar 7, 2006
  13. Beach Runner

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 7 Mar 2006 05:58:42 -0800, "Pat" <>
    wrote:

    >Don't know where you live, but in the US, it seems like there's a
    >commercial every 15 minutes for cars with On-star or ones that do
    >self-diagnostics and then email the results to you. Built in phones
    >are here.
    >
    >http://www.onstar.com/

    OnStar is just cellphone technology; we bought a new GM vehicle, and
    got one year of OnStar for free, but the only thing we woul duse it
    for is an emergency. We have cell phones that are far less expensive.
    The service can be turned off any time, or otherwise just not used.
    It's expensive fro what it is, given the alternatives.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Mar 7, 2006
  14. Beach Runner

    Ben Guest

    Hi BR,

    I just sold a nice Nokia 6682, which has a 1.2 or 1.3 megapixel camera
    built in. The phone includes the cable and software, which a lot of the
    other companies charge upwards of $100 for. Pictures of- and by- the
    phone can be seen at
    http://hodgkins.smugmug.com/gallery/1197773

    This cell works with Cingular. As I understand it, in their never
    ending greed, Verizon Wireless takes perfectly fine phones, such as the
    Motorola e815, which Should have the ability to download pictures
    directly to a computer either with bluetooth or a cable, and disables
    that capability to force the user to transfer the files thru the
    cellular network, which they charge for.

    The 6682 is a great phone/PDA. In good light it can take a decent
    picture (and video) if you can hold the thing still. In low light,
    lacking a real xenon flash (it uses ultrabright LEDs instead) the
    results aren't too good.

    Hope this helps,
    Ben

    Ben, Mar 7, 2006
  15. Beach Runner

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Tesco News wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    >> Tesco News wrote:
    >>> "Pat" <> wrote in message

    >>> Hi all.
    >>>
    >>> I am not on any meds,
    >>>
    >>> I am just naturally a Grumpy Old Git, even before I got old.
    >>>
    >>> I have a phone, and need it for business.
    >>>
    >>> I even have a cell phone, but I don't like phones. My cell phone only
    >>> makes and receives phone calls. It might be able to text, but I have
    >>> never bothered finding out. It certainly can not take photos or get
    >>> Email.
    >>>
    >>> I hate getting phone calls from people I do not know, who want to sell me
    >>> something I don't want or need. If they should happen to be promoting
    >>> anything to do with telecommunications I get extremely rude. I also
    >>> happen to think that Call Centres were designed specifically to create
    >>> and spread Mental Illnesses, and probably have a lot to do with the
    >>> increasing suicide rates.
    >>>
    >>> As for all those people who go about with a phone stuck permanently to
    >>> their ear, are they aware that in order to work on a Cell Phone Mast, the
    >>> Techs must wear Radiation Detectors.
    >>>
    >>> I dread the day when every new Camera and new Car will have a built in
    >>> phone.
    >>>
    >>> Roy G
    >>>

    >> Roy,
    >> Perhaps you need to find a cave in a remote area, drive there, and push
    >> the car off into a ravine. BTW, haven't you listed your numbers in the
    >> 'do not call' registry? If not, do it now.

    > Hi.
    >
    > Of course I have registered my number for "No Sales Calls", but the bastards
    > still keep phoning, and witholding their number. And you can't make official
    > complaints without the offenders number.
    >
    > It is only phones that I don't like.
    >
    > I quite like my car. But if one ever came fitted with an In Car Phone, my
    > opinion might change.
    >
    > I am not aware of attempting to correct anyones Grammar.
    >
    > I might have made remarks about American's inability to use cutlery, and
    > their weird taste in politicians, but Grammar - no way.
    >
    > Roy G

    I don't believe I mentioned grammar, so what are you going on about?
    I have no problem using cutlery, and can eat in the European manner, if
    required (can use chopsticks too), but find the American method more
    comfortable. As for weird politicians, I thought 'weird' was a
    prerequisite for politicians...

    Ron Hunter, Mar 8, 2006