Cell phone camera quality vs. compact digital

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dave Boland, Jul 10, 2008.

  1. Dave Boland

    Dave Boland Guest

    I just got back from a meeting where I needed to get a few photos for
    documentation. Problem was that I didn't have a camera handy (not
    enough pockets and too many things to carry already). So I thought, I
    wonder how well cell phone cameras work (since I always have my phone)
    and I see they have been discussed here before. My requirements are
    simple:

    * Use: documentation of projects and problems
    * Color/B & w: Color
    * Light level: Lower light -- ASA 400 levels
    * Action shots: No need now, but if it works well...
    * Picture size: 3x5 and 4x6 This should be 1-2 MegaPixels
    * Zoom: not needed, but nice if available.
    * Download: Would be nice if there is a phone camera that can d/l to
    laptop.

    Does this sound like something a cell phone camera can do well enough?
    If not, any suggestions on a compact, easy to use, low cost ( <$125)
    reliable digital camera?

    Dave,

    Dave Boland, Jul 10, 2008

  2. Dave Boland

    Guest

    On Jul 10, 9:44 am, Dave Boland <> wrote:
    > I just got back from a meeting where I needed to get a few photos for
    > documentation.  Problem was that I didn't have a camera handy (not
    > enough pockets and too many things to carry already).  So I thought, I
    > wonder how well cell phone cameras work (since I always have my phone)
    > and I see they have been discussed here before.  My requirements are
    > simple:
    >
    > * Use: documentation of projects and problems
    > * Color/B & w: Color
    > * Light level: Lower light -- ASA 400 levels
    > * Action shots: No need now, but if it works well...
    > * Picture size: 3x5 and 4x6  This should be 1-2 MegaPixels
    > * Zoom: not needed, but nice if available.
    > * Download: Would be nice if there is a phone camera that can d/l to
    > laptop.
    >
    > Does this sound like something a cell phone camera can do well enough?
    >   If not, any suggestions on a compact, easy to use, low cost ( <$125)
    > reliable digital camera?
    >
    > Dave,

    I think you may be disappointed with the quality of the results.
    Like all things not all cell phone cameras are created equal and I
    really don't know how good the best are, but I have yet to see
    anything good from them. The best use as I see it would be to send
    the photo to the wife to make sure you are getting the right kind of
    detergent at the grocery store or to send a funny photo to a friend
    who is only planning on viewing it on the phone.

    BTW 400 ASA does not really provide useful information for low
    light. The lens and the resulting quality both inter in and some
    400's may work well for you and others not at all.

    The moral of the story is to make sure you see results before you
    put your money down. That goes for both phone or compact camera.

    , Jul 11, 2008